My Concise Take on the State of the Union Speech

What he should have said:

Despite the best efforts of myself and Democratic members of Congress, the nation is still here. By attacking all of you tonight, I hope to divide and conquer for change. My attempt to gain control of the economy through health care reform will be assisted by my work on job creation.

Im a forgiving person but with politicians my patience for saying one thing and doing another is gone. I'm having a hard time giving any of them a second chance.

Lets see if obama acts as he spoke last night....i hope he does as I think a lot of the statements put forth were good ideas. Like I said he stated a lot of great stuff during the campaign that made me have hope about him but he didn't follow through with actions.

OH and this spending freeze thing he announced made me happy....and then I started looking into it and realized he increased defecit spending by more than 25% last year and the "freeze" at the current spending levels is still going to rack up the debt and not save us money.

At first I thought "freeze spending" meant stop spending money but now I see he meant we wont spend more than we are now...im gonna look for or make a thread i got more to say on that.

How can a freeze take place NOW when the FY 2010 budget is already in place? Obama also said he wants PAYGO reinstituted, which will also affect the FY 2011 budget (one can assume).

How can a freeze take place NOW when the FY 2010 budget is already in place?
It can't. All a "freeze" really does is keep Congress from cutting anything.
Obama also said he wants PAYGO reinstituted, which will also affect the FY 2011 budget (one can assume).
Ahh yes, the old standby. After years of wailing that "Booooosh killed paygo" they have now had three years with super-majority power, and haven't re-instituted it.

The House has a version with no teeth, and they've moved on to other items.

Sigh...kudos to Pilgrim for at least giving some rational thought to the address. The rest of the offerings by the rabid righties was completely expected. Obama could have promised to eliminate all taxes and all spending, and you'd still find fault.

Sigh...kudos to Pilgrim for at least giving some rational thought to the address. The rest of the offerings by the rabid righties was completely expected. Obama could have promised to eliminate all taxes and all spending, and you'd still find fault.

At least you would have recognized he was fibbing then.

Obama also said he wants PAYGO reinstituted, which will also affect the FY 2011 budget (one can assume).
Ahh yes, the old standby. After years of wailing that "Booooosh killed paygo" they have now had three years with super-majority power, and haven't re-instituted it.

3 years? How long did it take Franken to be seated?

Has nothing at all to do with Paygo.

Paygo is a HOUSE spending rule. Franken is in the Senate.

Last edited:
It can't. All a "freeze" really does is keep Congress from cutting anything.Ahh yes, the old standby. After years of wailing that "Booooosh killed paygo" they have now had three years with super-majority power, and haven't re-instituted it.

Paygo is not a law passed by both houses?

Anyway thanks for the neg rep asshole.

Franken's a moron and if you support THAT dickhead, it's telling ...

Paygo is not a law passed by both houses?

Anyway thanks for the neg rep asshole.
It's not a LAW at all and never was, stupid.

Why don't you occasionally use that computer to look things up, perchance to not always look so fucking stupid?

It can't. All a "freeze" really does is keep Congress from cutting anything.Ahh yes, the old standby. After years of wailing that "Booooosh killed paygo" they have now had three years with super-majority power, and haven't re-instituted it.

Support Frankin? Where did you get that from my post?

He was STUPIDLY trying to say that until Franken was seated, they couldn't do paygo.

He was STUPIDLY trying to say that until Franken was seated, they couldn't do paygo.

the correct term is ignorant, if in fact paygo does not require senate confirmation.
The correct term is stupid, because willful ignorance IS stupid, and you have all the information known to Mankind at your fingertips.

It's also stupid because they wouldn't need the 60-seat super majority in the Senate to pass paygo.

Last edited:

the correct term is ignorant, if in fact paygo does not require senate confirmation.
The correct term is stupid, because willful ignorance IS stupid, and you have all the information known to Mankind at your fingertips.

So you can explain Neuclear physics in detail?
Or are you stupid as well?

Im a forgiving person but with politicians my patience for saying one thing and doing another is gone. I'm having a hard time giving any of them a second chance.

Lets see if obama acts as he spoke last night....i hope he does as I think a lot of the statements put forth were good ideas. Like I said he stated a lot of great stuff during the campaign that made me have hope about him but he didn't follow through with actions.

OH and this spending freeze thing he announced made me happy....and then I started looking into it and realized he increased defecit spending by more than 25% last year and the "freeze" at the current spending levels is still going to rack up the debt and not save us money.

At first I thought "freeze spending" meant stop spending money but now I see he meant we wont spend more than we are now...im gonna look for or make a thread i got more to say on that.

How can a freeze take place NOW when the FY 2010 budget is already in place? Obama also said he wants PAYGO reinstituted, which will also affect the FY 2011 budget (one can assume).

When Obama says "freeze" he doesn't actually mean all discretionary domestic programs and agencies will freeze their budgets, he means that while some will increase and some will decrease their spending, the total of discretionary domestic spending will not increase. As members of Congress fight for their favorite programs, this will be much harder to achieve than simply freezing all spending for discretionary domestic spending. The good news is that it really doesn't matter much since the estimates are that if Obama did manage to freeze discretionary domestic spending, about 1/6 of the budget, it would only account for less than 1% of the deficit.

The House and Senate each already have pay as you go rules, and both chambers have become very adept at legislating around them. While the original paygo bill Obama sent to the House was nearly as tough as the one imposed on Clinton, the Dems had so many things they wanted to spend money on that the bill passed by the House would have virtually no effect on spending. In effect, the bill says that Congress could not increase spending on most discretionary programs without passing a bill to do so. So Congress could not simply increase spending inside of an appropriations bill for such a program but could attach a rider to the bill that would increase spending for that program. While Obama does seem to have been originally serious about pay as you go, the bill he urged the Senate to pass was just a political gesture Pelosi intended as a cover for moderate Dems who had to claim to their constituents that they were fiscally responsible.

:D Does being an asshole come naturally to you MM or do you have to take lessons to be that way?

do you have a tiny dick and a pit bull?

Forum List

Back