Muslim attitudes towards terror & the US

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
This material dates from 2009, so reflects more on the Bush era than that of Obama.

1. Do you approve or disapprove of attacks against US civilian targets?

Egypt: 8% Approve
Indonesia: 5% Approve
Pakistan: 9% Approve
Morocco: 7% Approve
Jordan: 11% Approve
Palestinian Territories: 24% Approve

2. Is it a goal of the US to help Israel expand its borders?

Egypt: 86% yes
Indonesia: 47%
Pakistan: 52%
Morocco: 64%
Azerbaijan: 46%
Palestinian Territories: 90%

3. Does the US support the creation of a Palestinian state?

Egypt: 4% yes
Indonesia 24%
Palestinian. 59%
Turkey 33%

4. Do you feel positive/negative about the US?

Egypt 4% positive
Iran 8%
Pakistan 17%
Morocco 16%

5: US relations with the Islamic world are a) respectul b) insensitive c) insulting

Egypt 11% - 24% - 56%
Indonesia 8% - 39% - 36%
Nigeria 23% - 41% - 28
Palestine 20 - 28 - 49

6. Is your view of American people positive?

Morocco 64% positive
Iran 51%
Indonesia 33%
Egypt 26%

As a result of this research, what policies do you feel the US should adopt?

This material dates from 2009, so reflects more on the Bush era than that of Obama.

Indonesia 24%
Palestinian. 59%
Turkey 33%

Egypt 4% positive
Iran 8%
Pakistan 17%
Morocco 16%

5: US relations with the Islamic world are a) respectul b) insensitive c) insulting

Egypt 11% - 24% - 56%
Indonesia 8% - 39% - 36%
Nigeria 23% - 41% - 28
Palestine 20 - 28 - 49

Morocco 64% positive
Iran 51%
Indonesia 33%
Egypt 26%

Pretty shocking, isn't it. Take not that the researchers felt the need to ask only about terrorist attacks against US civilian targets, thereby giving the impression that terrorist attacks against US military targets are normal.

Pretty shocking, isn't it. Take not that the researchers felt the need to ask only about terrorist attacks against US civilian targets, thereby giving the impression that terrorist attacks against US military targets are normal.

Yes.....or that it is paid for by a US research institute......

Yes.....or that it is paid for by a US research institute......

Even some US research institutes want to be blind to the deep hatred towards the West that is prevalent in many (not all) muslim societies and populations.

Artevelde -

Given the research totally contradicts your position - what do you base your position on?

It doesn't contradict my position. Cite me one credible study that shows that a majority of Muslims condemns all terrorist attacks against the US, Israel and India by any muslim extremist organization.

You yourself said that there is broad support for Hamas and Hezbollah, two avowedly genocidal terrorist organizations.

. Cite me one credible study that shows that a majority of Muslims condemns all terrorist attacks against the US, Israel and India by any muslim extremist organization.

. Cite me one credible study that shows that a majority of Muslims condemns all terrorist attacks against the US, Israel and India by any muslim extremist organization.

Again you come with a useless statistic that is purely limited to terrorist attacks against US civilian targets. How many Muslims condemn all terrorist attacks against Israel?

Do we you give a FUCK what Islamofacists think?
USA: No 100%
Israel: No 100%

Just as reliable as the source you posted nutjob!

Indonesia 24%
Palestinian. 59%
Turkey 33%

Egypt 4% positive
Iran 8%
Pakistan 17%
Morocco 16%

Egypt 11% - 24% - 56%
Indonesia 8% - 39% - 36%
Nigeria 23% - 41% - 28
Palestine 20 - 28 - 49

Morocco 64% positive
Iran 51%
Indonesia 33%
Egypt 26%

Do we you give a FUCK what Islamofacists think?
USA: No 100%
Israel: No 100%

People care. And people should care, because it matters.

We all want to see an end to terror attacks, but there are different ideas about how best to do that.

My theory is that ending terror is best achieved by convincing people they have better options on the table. It's a PR exercise in a sense. Convince ordinary people across the Islamic world that the US has a carrot and it has a stick - and persuade them to choose the carrot.

This is in US interest - ignoring the problem is not.

Artevelde -

The research I am citing did not ask people about Israel - which frustrates me as it does you.

But why not look at the results that we have, and discuss those.

Given the numbers supporting attacks on US civilians seem to me low, they seem to me to be very good news - do you agree?

Artevelde -

The research I am citing did not ask people about Israel - which frustrates me as it does you.

But why not look at the results that we have, and discuss those.

Given the numbers supporting attacks on US civilians seem to me low, they seem to me to be very good news - do you agree?

No, I do not agree one bit.

That you find it "very good news" that only a quarter of Palestinians thinks it's OK to murder US civilians is not something I could agree with. Can you imagine what they think about Jewish civilians?

And these figures indicate that there is very widespread support for terrorism.

Art -

I think the figures are good news. Support for terror is in single digits across the Islamic world, with only Palestinians showing significant support for it.

Given what is happening in Gaza, I don't find the relatively high figure there surprising. It has to be seen in the context of the attacks on Gaza, and apparent US support for those. I would like to see the figure at 0, but I think one has to be fair, and say that when Palestinian civilians are being killed with US-made weapons, they are going to feel a bit aggrieved.

Clearly there is no widespread support for terror, which indicates that the west in general can probably work to reduce that support even further through good policies.

Had a survey been taken in Belgium in 1945, how many Belgians do you think would have approved of the bombing of civilian targets a la Dresden?

Last edited:
Art -

I think the figures are good news. Support for terror is in single digits across the Islamic world, with only Palestinians showing significant support for it.

Given what is happening in Gaza, I don't find the relatively high figure there surprising. It has to be seen in the context of the attacks on Gaza, and apparent US support for those. I would like to see the figure at 0, but I think one has to be fair, and say that when Palestinian civilians are being killed with US-made weapons, they are going to feel a bit aggrieved.

Clearly there is no widespread support for terror, which indicates that the west in general can probably work to reduce that support even further through good policies.

Had a survey been taken in Belgium in 1945, how many Belgians do you think would have approved of the bombing of civilian targets a la Dresden?

I continue to find your equation of terrorism with legitimate military operations by legitimate military forces disgusting.

Support for terrorism is clearly very widespread in the muslim world. This is simply a fact. You however seek to split of particular kinds of terrorism and leave the vast majority of terrorism out of scope as somehow (legitimate). This kind of dishonest and short-sighted approach can never inform a real long-term strategy.

Forum List

Back