Murder by neglect or just total stupidity?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by strollingbones, Oct 18, 2008.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    I live in the south. Every year we have cases of babies/infant/toddlers left in hot cars, allowed to die and the parents go free! What has gotten me on this rant, Oprah having a mother who was just too overwhelmed with her busy lifestyle to remember her infant in her car.

An overwhelmed mom's deadly mistake - CNN.com

In Boone NC, this summer, there was a dead infant, the parents were drinking and doing drugs. The mother made it a habit to leave the infant in the car.

Is there really any difference in the two cases? Isn't neglect, neglect regardless of the reason?

What do you think should happen to parents who leave kids in car in the heat? Here is kinda another thing...I live in the mountains where it gets cold....you rarely if ever hear of someone leaving their child in a car and letting them freeze to death, now why is that?

Do you, like me, wonder how many of these cases are simply murder disguised as neglect or forgettfulness?

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Yes.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I'm going for murder by reason of neglectful stupidity.

However, murder disguised as neglect or forgetfulness is just murder.

4. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Both, we've had alot of that happen in Utah too and the church seems really sympathetic to the parents when it happens.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I know that I once left a baby in his crib asleep while going to get another child at preschool. I realized such though within 5 minutes, being closer to the preschool than home, decided to rush into the preschool, rather than waiting in the line, told them I'd thought I'd left the coffee pot on, needed my child pronto.

Got home and of course he was still sleeping. Were there reasons I'd forgotten the baby, yes. Does that excuse it, no.

6. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah when I was little we moved to Phoenix in the summertime and my dad had put me in the car and forgot something and went back into the house, well he also forgot me in the car, back then they had these metal pullup type of car locks that got really hot in the sun and I tried but couldnt pull the lock up when I figured out he wasnt coming back (haha). Thank goodness some Beakins movers found me and got me out. I guess parents do forget sometimes.

7. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Kathianne Wrote:
    I think that this sort of sums up my opinion as well. Is it possible that a mother or father on two hours sleep with a list of chores in their head a mile long will forget a quiet, sleeping child in the back of their car? Yes. Does that make it ok when that child is hurt or, god forbid, dies because of the mistake? No.

As far as the appropriate punishment for such crimes, however. I don't really know about that. If it truly is an accident, then I don't really think that any punishment on earth is worse than losing your child due to your own mistake.

8. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    are you willing to forgive other deaths that are accidents...its called manslaughter...the law reconizes it...

i could not imagine a greater pain than losing your child...no more crueler trick of nature to let the parent outlive the child....and gem is right...the burden of guilt of your child dying due to your mistake...

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    But other types of murder are forgiven all the time. I can think of one where millions die and it is perfectly legal.

10. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    not the thread for that discussion..there are threads devoted to the topic...take it there please. this thread is about neglectful parenting and the fact that parents allowing kids to die in cars of heat stroke are given pretty much a free pass.