Mr. Hockey....Gone To That Great Rink

Why don't you start a thread in Sports, or Current Events, and tell the world something about him besides his uniform number?

There's the old joke about baseball players, "Ozzie Jones will be out for two weeks....he was frightened by a small child."

The juxtaposition was hockey.

Tough sport, tough men.....there was the Toronto defenseman who played with a broken leg.....numerous players who are cut, stitched up, and come right back into the game.

"In 26 NHL seasons, he played 97% of all of his team's games. From 1961 to 1970, he missed only two games.

In 2004, rival Bobby Hull said about Howe: "When everything is gone by the wayside, the only thing that remains is character — and Gordie Howe has character."
NHL legend Gordie Howe dies at 88

Now....did you say it belongs in 'Politics'?

Can't imagine Gordie bowing to the King of Saudi Arabia

Anyone out there?

Never cared for hockey, other than the movie Slap Shot, but I've mentioned his passing in 2 different thread today
Gordie-Howe-Death-Reaction.jpg

My dad always told me watch his elbows. He's the best at it. Never get caught.

And they called him 'the surgeon.'

The 'Original Six'. I attended some games back then.
'Davy' Keon was a hell of a player!
By the time Gretzky got to the NHL the game has totally changed compared to the 50's-60's.
Back then the players shifts were 3-4 minutes. Today the shift times are counted in the seconds.
Back then the player were huge compared to today's players.
Trying to make comparisons isn't relevant.
When when the NHL transitioned to the European style of hockey very few players from the 'original six' would have made the cut.
As I posted Ali was the greatest boxer of all time.
BUT if he and Bob Probert were to get into a street fight. No boxing gloves. I'd have put my money on Probert anyday.
I saw him fight a couple of times back when the refs would allow the players to basically beat the shit out of each other until one of the them when down. He got his hands on you and you were finished.

"(CNN)"Mr. Hockey" Gordie Howe, whose career spanned an incredible six decades and included four Stanley Cups with the Detroit Red Wings, died Friday, Howe's son, Marty Howe, told CNN. He was 88.

The hockey hall-of-famer had previous health struggles, suffering a "significant" stroke in 2014.
As a six-time league MVP, Howe arguably was one of the sport's greatest players, scoring 801 goals in his 26 years in two different stints in the National Hockey League. In 1963, he became the NHL's all-time leading scorer, a record that was later broken by Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky, in fact, idolized Howe.
Howe wore the number 9 when he played. Gretzky wore 99 as tribute to him.

Beyond his reputation as a prolific scorer, Howe was many things. He was feared and revered, famous for his flying elbows. But perhaps, biggest of all, he was an iconic name that a casual and non-hockey fan would know."
Hockey legend Gordie Howe dies - CNN.com

And with Gordie.....the days when hockey was hockey......
I saw Gordie play a few times at the old Olympia Stadium (The Old Red Barn) in Detroit. It was late in his career, but he was still amazing. He was big for his time and very strong. No one messed with Mr. Hockey even late in his career. I remember thinking watching him on the ice, that he looked nearly twice as big as all the other players.

The 'Original Six'. I attended some games back then.
'Davy' Keon was a hell of a player!
By the time Gretzky got to the NHL the game has totally changed compared to the 50's-60's.
Back then the players shifts were 3-4 minutes. Today the shift times are counted in the seconds.
Back then the player were huge compared to today's players.
Trying to make comparisons isn't relevant.
When when the NHL transitioned to the European style of hockey very few players from the 'original six' would have made the cut.
As I posted Ali was the greatest boxer of all time.
BUT if he and Bob Probert were to get into a street fight. No boxing gloves. I'd have put my money on Probert anyday.
I saw him fight a couple of times back when the refs would allow the players to basically beat the shit out of each other until one of the them when down. He got his hands on you and you were finished.
Yes...Gordie played most of his career when there were only six teams. That meant that all those teams had great players. The competition had to be better than when Wayne played.

"(CNN)"Mr. Hockey" Gordie Howe, whose career spanned an incredible six decades and included four Stanley Cups with the Detroit Red Wings, died Friday, Howe's son, Marty Howe, told CNN. He was 88.

The hockey hall-of-famer had previous health struggles, suffering a "significant" stroke in 2014.
As a six-time league MVP, Howe arguably was one of the sport's greatest players, scoring 801 goals in his 26 years in two different stints in the National Hockey League. In 1963, he became the NHL's all-time leading scorer, a record that was later broken by Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky, in fact, idolized Howe.
Howe wore the number 9 when he played. Gretzky wore 99 as tribute to him.

Beyond his reputation as a prolific scorer, Howe was many things. He was feared and revered, famous for his flying elbows. But perhaps, biggest of all, he was an iconic name that a casual and non-hockey fan would know."
Hockey legend Gordie Howe dies - CNN.com

And with Gordie.....the days when hockey was hockey......
I saw Gordie play a few times at the old Olympia Stadium (The Old Red Barn) in Detroit. It was late in his career, but he was still amazing. He was big for his time and very strong. No one messed with Mr. Hockey even late in his career. I remember thinking watching him on the ice, that he looked nearly twice as big as all the other players.

"He was big for his time and very strong. No one messed with Mr. Hockey even late in his career."

Remember when that was true of America, too?

The media makes a huge to do over a Muslim draft dodger with the IQ of a rock and all but passes over Howe.

No surprise.

Moronic butthurt. ^^ No surprise.

Haters gonna 'hurt, even at the moment of their exit from this mortal coil when they're no longer here to defend themselves. Stay classy, coward.

Anyone out there?

Is Tiny "glug, glug" Dancer drunk again? What does Gordie have to do with politics?

I thought I was in sports bitch. Sorry you are offended. Get me moved. No problem.

It is in sports.

It was originally posted in politics.

Yes I can confirm that -- I got it moved. Eventually it was merged.
Credit were due, PC's approach here was just right. Plunking it in Politics was just PWI.

Why don't you start a thread in Sports, or Current Events, and tell the world something about him besides his uniform number?

There's the old joke about baseball players, "Ozzie Jones will be out for two weeks....he was frightened by a small child."

The juxtaposition was hockey.

Tough sport, tough men.....there was the Toronto defenseman who played with a broken leg.....numerous players who are cut, stitched up, and come right back into the game.

"In 26 NHL seasons, he played 97% of all of his team's games. From 1961 to 1970, he missed only two games.

In 2004, rival Bobby Hull said about Howe: "When everything is gone by the wayside, the only thing that remains is character — and Gordie Howe has character."
NHL legend Gordie Howe dies at 88

Now....did you say it belongs in 'Politics'?

Can't imagine Gordie bowing to the King of Saudi Arabia

He probably wouldnt french kiss the Saudi king either.

Forum List

Back