Mr. Hockey....Gone To That Great Rink

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
"(CNN)"Mr. Hockey" Gordie Howe, whose career spanned an incredible six decades and included four Stanley Cups with the Detroit Red Wings, died Friday, Howe's son, Marty Howe, told CNN. He was 88.

The hockey hall-of-famer had previous health struggles, suffering a "significant" stroke in 2014.
As a six-time league MVP, Howe arguably was one of the sport's greatest players, scoring 801 goals in his 26 years in two different stints in the National Hockey League. In 1963, he became the NHL's all-time leading scorer, a record that was later broken by Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky, in fact, idolized Howe.
Howe wore the number 9 when he played. Gretzky wore 99 as tribute to him.

Beyond his reputation as a prolific scorer, Howe was many things. He was feared and revered, famous for his flying elbows. But perhaps, biggest of all, he was an iconic name that a casual and non-hockey fan would know."
Hockey legend Gordie Howe dies - CNN.com

And with Gordie.....the days when hockey was hockey......

So you think a hockey player could have beaten one of the greatest boxers of our time? Okey dokey.

Just because the Gordie Howe Hat Trick (a goal, assist, and fight in a game) bears his name he'd be no match for Ali. Fighting well on eighth-inch sharpened steel on ice is a bit of an art form, but boxing is a whole different realm.

Gordie was a better athlete. Much smarter too.
So you think a hockey player could have beaten one of the greatest boxers of our time? Okey dokey.
snouter apparently thinks because gordie was in a few hockey brawls he could beat a professional fighter......
I saw Gordie Howe play hockey a few times.
Those were the days of no helmets. No face protectors. I have no doubt Ali, whom I believe was the greatest boxer of all time, would have had no trouble beating the shit out of Howe in Ali's boxing ring. No question.
BUT if Ali got into a no holds barred brawl with Howe's on Howe's home turf once Howe got ahold of Ali all bets would have been off. Howe NEVER let go! EVER!
I played minor league hockey back then. It was like going into a MMA arena.
Four broken noses. No front teeth, broken clavicle, separated shoulder, at least two hundred stitches to the face. I have a scar made by a blade that runs from my right earlobe to the middle of my chin.
But you should have seen the other guys!

snouter apparently thinks because gordie was in a few hockey brawls he could beat a professional fighter......
Those were the days of no helmets. No face protectors. I have no doubt Ali, whom I believe was the greatest boxer of all time, would have had no trouble beating the shit out of Howe in Ali's boxing ring. No question.
BUT if Ali got into a no holds barred brawl with Howe's on Howe's home turf once Howe got ahold of Ali all bets would have been off. Howe NEVER let go! EVER!
Four broken noses. No front teeth, broken clavicle, separated shoulder, at least two hundred stitches to the face. I have a scar made by a blade that runs from my right earlobe to the middle of my chin.
you must be one good looking guy.....

you must be one good looking guy.....
Every broken nose and stitch was a 'babe magnet'. Women are drawn to 'real men' like bees to honey'.

Point of this thread?

Actually, never mind. I don't want to know.

The original six. I'm going to pull a Sophia. "Picture it....when a goal, an assist and a fight was known as a Gordie Howe hat trick"

:lol:

He was one of my favorites. Quality father and daughter time included many a night at Maple Leaf Gardens. My uncle (third cousin but you called everyone uncle in those days) was Dave Keon (Leafs for those who don't remember) and my true Uncle Buddy played a short stint with the Boston Bruins. Northern Ontario cranked out many a great player as did Quebec and the Prairies.

And every Saturday night was Hockey Night in Canada. It was a great time to be a kid.

Howe was something else. His accomplishments are legendary. RIP Mr. Number Nine.

220px-Gordie_Howe_Chex_card.jpg

Hard to believe the greatest boxer and greatest hockey player of the 60s are gone in the same week

Forum List

Back