Most Gun Owners Are Not NRA Members And Don't Agree With It Either

It's widely acknowledged that the National Rifle Association is one of the nation's most influential advocacy groups. They've successfully lobbied against the expansion of federal gun control policies in the post-Newtown era, and supported numerous state-level policy changes that broadened access to guns. Through campaign donations and popular legislator scorecards they exert considerable influence on federal gun law making.

Given its high profile, it's easy to assume that the NRA represents the voice of American gun owners. But in fact, the organization's membership numbers and survey data point a different picture. Only a small fraction of the nation's gun owners are NRA members. Even among NRA members, there is widespread dissent from some key points of the organization's orthodoxy. And on many gun control issues, the majority of gun owners who aren't affiliated with the NRA hold opinions closer to those of non-gun owners than to those of NRA members.

imrs.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-agree-with-it-either/?utm_term=.1ea5198df7c9
I am a gun owner, supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and am NOT a member of the NRA....they've gone off the deep end.
--------------------------------------------- i think that YOU are a STATIST Bodecea .

Their boogeyman......the NRA

Our right to keep and bare arms triggers the left like no other issue.

Can you blame them after what happened last week? After all the senseless massacres? The high-school kids are also completely fed up with adults' inaction and being hypocrites. How can an 18-year-old walk into a gun-shop and buy a weapon of war, yet the same teen can't buy a beer?

Because they can go to war, they can vote....

You misunderstood me. They can buy an AR-15, which is a weapon of war, and not meant for a civilized society, yet they can't buy a beer until 21. Enough is enough. No other country has these massacres on a weekly basis.

You are either a big fat liar or ignorant as hell, AR-15's are not weapons of war you stupid moron. There went your credibility out the window.

OK, a military STYLE weapon then. I was going by what the students in that school said. They are only 16, 17, and 18 year-olds but they are alot smarter than you guys. No mentally imbalanced teen, who can't buy a beer, should be able to go to a gun-shop and nonchalantly buy an assault weapon that can take out as many ppl as possible.

Oh, please, from Time no less-

...Perreira has lived on Kauai, the fourth-largest Hawaiian island, his entire life. For the last 15 years, the construction worker has hunted with the AR-15. Semiautomatic rifles have been used to hunt since the early 1900s. In 1963, a few years after the rifle was invented, Colt advertised the AR-15 as a “superb hunting partner.” (Colt confirmed to TIME the authenticity of this advertisement.) Today, Americans own at least a few million AR-15s and as many as eight million, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

The 45-year-old told TIME his favorite feature of the AR-15 is how easily it can be disassembled. The gun can be taken apart and carried several miles in a backpack through Kauai’s mountains to goat sanctuaries. “I know the rifle gets a really bad rap,” Perreira said. “But around here, I know a lot of guys that have them.”...

Across the southern United States, wild pigs cause $1.5 billion in annual property damage. Boar can weigh up to 300 pounds, run up to 30 miles per hour and in Jonathan Owen’s experience, quickly turn violent.

“You do not have to hunt with an AR-15,” Owen, an Abilene, Texas resident who runs SHWAT.com, told TIME. “But the practical benefits of being able to engage a lot of pigs at a time, safely, is a big win.” The semiautomatic and large capacity magazine features allow Owen to take several shots at multiple pigs in a few seconds. When engaging a pack of wild pigs in west-Texas’ shrubbery, Owen says these features ensure his safety.

“Hog hunting can be the pursuit of dangerous game,” Owen said. “They can turn on you.”...

Antelope jackrabbits dart up to 30 miles per hour between bunches of upright dead sticks that could generously be called bushes. For skilled shooters, hunting these northern Arizona sprinters is a challenge. But Eric Mayer told TIME it’s nearly impossible without an AR-15.

The semiautomatic rifle can stay focused on a moving target between shots. Mayer, a Los Angeles resident who owns several outdoor recreation websites, says this is a huge advantage. “A semiauto changed my life,” Mayer said. “I’m able to make the (shot) because I don’t have to run the bolt (and) lose the target in my scope.”

In a bolt-action rifle, a metal bolt must be manually pulled back and pushed forward to load a new bullet after each shot. Bolt-action rifles have been used to hunt since the 1800s....

...After stalking elk for hours through forested mountainous terrain in western Montana, Marbut says he needs a gun he can trust to hit its mark. That gun is his AR. “The last two elk I’ve taken, I took at about 300 yards,” he told TIME, a distance equivalent to three football fields. “They were both headshots.”...

George Sodergren grew up around guns in southern Maine. He respects them and chooses his hunting firearms carefully. He does not believe a semi-automatic rifle is necessary for all animals. But for coyotes, he makes an exception.

After a heavy snowfall, Sodergren, a 49-year-old machinist, can track these skittish forest predators. Smaller than the typical golden retriever, a coyote combines its sense of smell with an ability to run up to 40 miles per hour to stay clear of threats. To kill one, Sodergren needs a versatile gun. “When you grab the (AR-15), it’s like shaking the hand of a good friend you haven’t seen in a long time,” he told TIME.

When Sodergren hunts coyotes, he positions himself downwind so they cannot smell him. Coyotes can approach in packs, so Sodergren says the AR-15 gives him the chance to land more than one shot. “I believe in one well-placed shot,” Sodergren said. “(But) if you’ve got multiple animals or you miss, you’ve got a quick follow-up shot....

Here Are 7 Animals Hunters Kill Using an AR-15

Life is short. Embrace it.

What are you lawless gun control freaks whining about now?

Can you blame them after what happened last week? After all the senseless massacres? The high-school kids are also completely fed up with adults' inaction and being hypocrites. How can an 18-year-old walk into a gun-shop and buy a weapon of war, yet the same teen can't buy a beer?

You misunderstood me. They can buy an AR-15, which is a weapon of war, and not meant for a civilized society, yet they can't buy a beer until 21. Enough is enough. No other country has these massacres on a weekly basis.

What are you lawless gun control freaks whining about now?

:itsok:

ptbw and depotoo, I'm glad you find massacres so funny. I guess a movie about the Holocaust would be a comedy show to you guys.

LOL you played the Nazi card how predictable.

You are either a big fat liar or ignorant as hell, AR-15's are not weapons of war you stupid moron. There went your credibility out the window.

OK, a military STYLE weapon then. I was going by what the students in that school said. They are only 16, 17, and 18 year-olds but they are alot smarter than you guys. No mentally imbalanced teen, who can't buy a beer, should be able to go to a gun-shop and nonchalantly buy an assault weapon that can take out as many ppl as possible.

You parroted stupid wrong shit high school students said? My guess is some dumb ass liberal told them it was a weapon of war and they parroted the talking point in ignorance. When you bunch of dumb asses pull your heads out of your ass let me know then maybe we can discuss this issue.

It's widely acknowledged that the National Rifle Association is one of the nation's most influential advocacy groups. They've successfully lobbied against the expansion of federal gun control policies in the post-Newtown era, and supported numerous state-level policy changes that broadened access to guns. Through campaign donations and popular legislator scorecards they exert considerable influence on federal gun law making.

Given its high profile, it's easy to assume that the NRA represents the voice of American gun owners. But in fact, the organization's membership numbers and survey data point a different picture. Only a small fraction of the nation's gun owners are NRA members. Even among NRA members, there is widespread dissent from some key points of the organization's orthodoxy. And on many gun control issues, the majority of gun owners who aren't affiliated with the NRA hold opinions closer to those of non-gun owners than to those of NRA members.

imrs.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-agree-with-it-either/?utm_term=.1ea5198df7c9
I am a gun owner, supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and am NOT a member of the NRA....they've gone off the deep end.
--------------------------------------------- i think that YOU are a STATIST Bodecea .
Of course YOU believe that.....you've been groomed to believe that of anyone who disagrees with you.

Gun Owners of America is actually a more significant organization when it comes to opposing leftist gun grabbing sociopaths.

Forum List

Back