More school: Obama would curtail summer vacation

O please. The primary motive behind home schooling has always been religious indoctrination. The ultra-orthodox parents are afraid that if their kids learn something around the real world, they won't have the same beliefs, so they try to shelter them from anything that conflicts with their wacked worldview.

Not trying to shelter your children from what you perceive as a harmful environment is basicallu child abuse.

Homescholle has proven to be some of the best education in the nation. Protecting our children from the immoral language and behavior that students involve themselves in in the public schools is a good thing.

Homeschooling is always an option that should be available to parents. On that we agree.

I did. Tenure track faculty at a mostly undergrad university for three years. I left for many, many reasons - pay was not one of them. Fundamental ideological differences were the biggest reasons.
And, still to point, assuming that conservatives are anti-education because mostly liberals go into it is as irrational as assuming libs are anti-military because mostly conservative attitudes prevail in the military.

So you cut and run?
What an idiotic and ignorant conclusion. :lol:

Not at all. It is quite a logical conclusion based on what you told us.
I assure you that when it comes to this situation, I am the supreme authority on the details of the reasons for my choices. You seem to fancy yourself something other than utterly ignorant in this matter.

Or...

Ohhhhh....it takes me a while sometimes. You're just being a moronic dick.

Carry on.

What an idiotic and ignorant conclusion. :lol:

I assure you that when it comes to this situation, I am the supreme authority on the details of the reasons for my choices. You seem to fancy yourself something other than utterly ignorant in this matter.

Or...

Carry on.

I can only make my conclusions based on what you told us. Of course, if there were some other reasons you do not wish to divulge...okey dokey. But based on your post...that is a cut and run. No more, no less than what other people have been accused of cutting and running over. You didn't like the prevailing politics and instead of working to change them.....you left. Cut n' run.

Or...

Carry on.

I can only make my conclusions based on what you told us. Of course, if there were some other reasons you do not wish to divulge...okey dokey. But based on your post...that is a cut and run. No more, no less than what other people have been accused of cutting and running over. You didn't like the prevailing politics and instead of working to change them.....you left. Cut n' run.

Just because a person leaves a job, that does not mean they were acting cowardly or without forethought of their actions.

To make the assumption you did about Si because she wouldn't divulge personal information to you, is embracing a logical fallacy not to mention immature behavior.

What you are doing here with Si, is projecting what you have seen other self-professing conservatives say, in regards to the war and those who were against it.

She doesn't owe you or anyone else an explanation. And the fact that you are being childish about it and trying to twist her previous explanation into something cowardly, just goes to show that she is wise to not say anything at all.

Sure, let the government-run schools have our kids for another 3 hours a day. They can learn cute songs praising our leaders and watch videos which are critical of capitalism.

You can become a teacher and become part of the solution.

I've taught first grade, third grade, and eighth grade language arts.

Sure, let the government-run schools have our kids for another 3 hours a day. They can learn cute songs praising our leaders and watch videos which are critical of capitalism.

what is wrong with watching videos critical of capitalism? they should watch videos on the good and bad points of all economic systems and figure out for themselves which they like best

What a novel concept. Too bad the districts ordering the video for elementary students, and produced by the Tides Foundation, have an agenda that only includes promoting one narrow view.

You can become a teacher and become part of the solution.

I've taught first grade, third grade, and eighth grade language arts.

what is wrong with watching videos critical of capitalism? they should watch videos on the good and bad points of all economic systems and figure out for themselves which they like best

What a novel concept. Too bad the districts ordering the video for elementary students, and produced by the Tides Foundation, have an agenda that only includes promoting one narrow view.

So, you as a teacher are only allowed to show videos selected by the district and you must show all videos selected by the district?

Or...

Carry on.

Just because a person leaves a job, that does not mean they were acting cowardly or without forethought of their actions.

You are absolutely right...but let's look at what was said: "I left for many, many reasons - pay was not one of them. Fundamental ideological differences were the biggest reasons."
You don't agree with the liberal philosophy, you don't get it changed by quitting, do you?

To make the assumption you did about Si because she wouldn't divulge personal information to you, is embracing a logical fallacy not to mention immature behavior.

And this is the THIRD time I've said that I can only go on what was given to us. If Si doesn't want to divulge, fine and dandy. But I am going based on her OWN words on why she QUIT.

What you are doing here with Si, is projecting what you have seen other self-professing conservatives say, in regards to the war and those who were against it.

You noticed that, did you?

She doesn't owe you or anyone else an explanation.

Never said she did.

And the fact that you are being childish about it and trying to twist her previous explanation into something cowardly, just goes to show that she is wise to not say anything at all.

Ah, but she DID say something...and that is what I am basing my comments on. She quit. She says it's over ideological differences. That's not staying to hold up what you believe is HER ideology (assuming conservative here, since political idealogies is the focus of this thread). That, pure and simple, is cut and run. I don't blame her for leaving, not at all. But, then...don't go on about how it's a shame that education today is so liberal and why doesn't someone do something about it?

So, how do you manage to blame the teachers if they DID teach that Washington was our first President. I'd like to hear how you spin that one.

How could they possibly have "taught" it if only 25% of the students get it right?

It's a physical impossibility!

You realize you're quoting a survey that's already been shown to be junk, right?

75 Percent of Oklahoma Students Can't Name the First President - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Yeah?

So, who was the first President, Polk?

How could they possibly have "taught" it if only 25% of the students get it right?

You realize you're quoting a survey that's already been shown to be junk, right?

75 Percent of Oklahoma Students Can't Name the First President - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Yeah?

no, polk was the 11th president.

It has more to do with the dumbing down of education not the time spent in school. We have a raft of idiot teachers liberal policies, no history till high school, teaching to dumb tests, not teaching but instructing rather. No hurting feelings, no competition, a raft of ideas regarding no grades just pass fail, as well as to much trouble to actually fail kids and deal with the parents Social Studies was the DUMBEST idea to come down the pike, followed closely by teaching to a frigging test.

I can't help but think that you don't have any children in school currently, because what you are describing bears NO relation to my experiences with the local public schools. Both of my kids started history in elementary school, and social studies, which covers topics like how our government works, our voting system, how laws are passed, the judicial system, etc., is incredibly informed in creating informed voters and citizens.

In Florida, at least, teaching to the test means two things. First, kids need to learn basic minimums in math and literacy. Unfortunately, we haven't found a way to bypass the need for memorization in elementary school in order to learn basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Learning the times tables, for instance, is crucial to higher mathematical skills. Same with increasing their vocabulary (again, memorization is crucial)and literacy. Your post is a mishmash of conflicting ideas.

You don't want kids memorizing for a test, and yet, you decry liberal education policies, one of the worst of which has been the whole language movement which claimed that kids would simply absorb literacy from HEARING books read aloud. NOT. That's why most schools have gone back to phonics-based memorization with direct instructional drills.

That has lead to an increase in the literacy rates with schools that use such a framework to teach reading in early elementary years.

One learns very little when they are simply instructed, NOT taught, how to pass tests. It is an easy process to learn the test then dump the information for the next test you have to take.

The second part of out test, at least, is called "Writes Upon Request," and it requires students to write, from scratch, about a particular assigned topic (that they don't receive until they take the test). The topic varies by age group and is age-appropriate. Students are graded on their ability to write coherenly, clearly, and using appropriate vocabulary for their age. It's impossible to teach this through rote instruction, and requires that teachers require a considerable degree more writing than in past years.

Further, the test requires students to read passages, analyze them, and answer questions. THAT IS demonstrating the aquisition of critical thinking skills.

:eusa_whistle:

Get the Federal Government OUT of class rooms. They do not belong there, they have no authority to be there. It has never been the Federal Governments power or authority to interfere with the individual States on how the schools are run. In fact one can follow the bouncing ball very well, as the Fed crept in further and further the level of education declined further and further.

Some of the federal mandates have been helpful to parents. For instance, the fact that tests have to publish their test scores online allows parents to make informed decisions about schools.

Some dumb ass in Washington DC has no idea at all what is needed in some town in some State anywhere in this Country in regards class loads, teacher credentials, hiring and firing practices, school curriculum, subjects to be taught and learned, amount of time per day or year to teach those subjects, passing grade requirements, etc etc.

Actually, the field of education is well-researched, and this research is well-documented. We DO know what works in schools. Whether local school districts, particularly with site-based management, will use these practices, is another story, entirely.

Yeah?

Take a look at this:
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Are Oklahoma Students Really This Dumb? Or Is Strategic Vision Really This Stupid?

It's pretty obvious Strategic Vision just made up the numbers.

Did you bother to read what you posted? Instead of conducting their own survey, their response was essentially "Let's assume more kids gave correct answers"

Let's assume McCain got more electoral votes in 2008.

Forum List

Back