More record heat in the Northwest

SEATTLE — Northwesterners more accustomed to rain and cooler climate sought refuge from a heat wave Wednesday, as Seattle recorded the hottest temperature in its history and Portland fell just 1 degree short of its own record-breaker.

The National Weather Service in Seattle recorded 103 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, breaking a previous record of 100 degrees, set in downtown Seattle in 1941 and repeated at the airport in 1994.

Jay Albrecht, a Seattle meteorologist with the service, said it's the hottest it has been in Seattle since records dating to 1891.

In Oregon, heat records were set in cities across the western half of the state, with Portland topping out at 106 degrees, breaking the old record of 100 for the day but falling 1 degree shy of its all-time record of 107. Portland most recently hit the 107 mark in 1981.

The Associated Press: Seattle breaks temp record as heat wave continues
pure anecdotal

:lol:

As well as very short sighted in so many ways, inaccurate, and just plain ignorant. Lived here most my life, this "strange" heat wave is nothing new, just the timing is a bit different. I remember an August back in the 80's that was 110 half the month, we had a neighborhood swimming pool ... so we just spent a lot of time there.

Inaccurate?

What part of the article was inaccurate?

pure anecdotal

:lol:

As well as very short sighted in so many ways, inaccurate, and just plain ignorant. Lived here most my life, this "strange" heat wave is nothing new, just the timing is a bit different. I remember an August back in the 80's that was 110 half the month, we had a neighborhood swimming pool ... so we just spent a lot of time there.

Inaccurate?

the part of the article that stated people of the northwest are not accustomed to the heat. Seattle has been having hot summers for a few years now and have had them in the past. And like KK mentioned your article forget to mention it has been a mild summer in these parts until now.

Inaccurate?

the part of the article that stated people of the northwest are not accustomed to the heat. Seattle has been having hot summers for a few years now and have had them in the past. And like KK mentioned your article forget to mention it has been a mild summer in these parts until now.
CHris isnt interested in being either truthful or accurate

SEATTLE — Northwesterners more accustomed to rain and cooler climate sought refuge from a heat wave Wednesday, as Seattle recorded the hottest temperature in its history and Portland fell just 1 degree short of its own record-breaker.

The National Weather Service in Seattle recorded 103 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, breaking a previous record of 100 degrees, set in downtown Seattle in 1941 and repeated at the airport in 1994.

Jay Albrecht, a Seattle meteorologist with the service, said it's the hottest it has been in Seattle since records dating to 1891.

In Oregon, heat records were set in cities across the western half of the state, with Portland topping out at 106 degrees, breaking the old record of 100 for the day but falling 1 degree shy of its all-time record of 107. Portland most recently hit the 107 mark in 1981.

The Associated Press: Seattle breaks temp record as heat wave continues

Chris, do you see how the NE has one of the coolest Summers on record and the Northwest has one of the hottest?

This is called a "weather pattern" and has absolutely ZIP to do with global warming.

Still in the coolish spring monsoon pattern in most of the intermountain west.

And the ice cap keeps melting in spite of the fact that the Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years.

Why is that?

It's Summer. Ice caps melt during the Summer. This is not unusual. Show me a January where we have melting ice caps, then I'll worry.

Still in the coolish spring monsoon pattern in most of the intermountain west.

And the ice cap keeps melting in spite of the fact that the Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years.

Why is that?

It's Summer. Ice caps melt during the Summer. This is not unusual. Show me a January where we have melting ice caps, then I'll worry.

Your opinion doesn't change the fact that the north polar ice cap is melting, in spite of the fact that the Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years.

Why is that?

Your opinion doesn't change the fact that the north polar ice cap is melting, in spite of the fact that the Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years.
of course its melting, you dumbass, its SUMMER
it ALWAYS melts in the summer

Why is that?

low levels? sounds like your brain activity.

Don't worry, Beavis.

One day you will figure it out.

Don't worry, Beavis.

He already figured out that you're a douchebag, butthead.

Don't worry, Beavis.

already have
but clearly you never will

now, tell us about the Andean Glacier that has actually ever grown in size in the last 300 years

Why is that?

wtf are you talking about??

It's the fucking Summer you idiot. I just explained that to you. Polar ice caps melt during the Summer.

That's not a fucking opinion, either. Do a little research instead of just parroting Algore.

Climate change in the Andes | When ice turns to water | Economist.com

Melting glaciers in the Andes
Jul 12th 2007
From The Economist print edition

FOR centuries, the run-off from the glaciers atop the spectacular snow-capped mountains of the Carabaya range has watered the pastures where alpacas graze around the small town of Macusani. More recently, the mountains have provided the town with drinking water and hydroelectricity, as well as hopes of attracting tourists to one of Peru's poorest areas. But in Carabaya, as across the Andes, the glaciers are melting fast. Their impending disappearance has large, and possibly catastrophic, implications for the country's economy and for human life.

Peru is home to the world's biggest expanse of tropical glaciers. Of the 2,500 square kilometres (965 square miles) of glaciers in the four countries of the tropical Andes—Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru—70% are in Peru and 20% in Bolivia. The last comprehensive satellite survey by Peru's National Environmental Council, carried out in 1997, found that the area covered by glaciers had shrunk by 22% since the early 1960s. In the Carabaya range, they had receded by 32%.

All the environuts have done here is proven that they do not like looking at whole stories but cherry pick some data .... just like Fox news.

Now Dive, why don't you just tell us about the Andean glacier that has grown substancially? Oh well, I'll do it for you.
Mystery Glaciers Growing as Most Others Retreat

Mystery Glaciers Growing as Most Others RetreatJohn Roach
for National Geographic News

June 22, 2009
Two South American glaciers are displaying strange behavior for the times: They're growing.

Most of the 50 massive glaciers draped over the spine of the Patagonian Andes are shrinking in response to a global warming, said Andrés Rivera, a glaciologist at the Center for Scientific Studies in Valdivia, Chile. (Related: "Mountain Glaciers Melting Faster Than Ever, Expert Says.")

RELATED
No More Glaciers in Glacier National Park by 2020?
VIDEO: Rare Argentina Winter Ice Break
MAP: Global Glacier Melt
But the Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina and Pio XI glacier in Chile are taking on ice, instead of shedding it.

"What is happening … is not well understood," Rivera said.

Theories center on the geography and topography of the glaciers; the depth and temperature of the waters where the glaciers end; and how quickly, or slowly, they react to changes in the climate.

Yet overall, "if you account for the gains and losses of all of Patagonia's glaciers, they are [still] losing huge amounts of ice," Rivera pointed out.

Climate Insensitivity?

One hypothesis for the 3-mile-wide (5 kilometer-wide) Perito Moreno's advance is the glacier's apparent insensitivity to changes in what glaciologists call the equilibrium line on glaciers, Rivera said.

Roughly equivalent to the snow line, the equilibrium line is the elevation above which the glacier is growing, due to snow accumulation, and below which the glacier is melting.

When this line moves higher up a hill or a mountain due to rising temperatures, for example, more of the glacier is situated in the melting zone, and the glacier retreats.

But because Argentina's Perito Moreno glacier is so steep in the area where the equilibrium line falls, climate shifts don't impact the line's movement much, at least as it relates to the height of the mountain, Rivera noted.

As a result, the amount of of ice lost or gained is minimal.

Now Dive, why don't you just tell us about the Andean glacier that has grown substancially? Oh well, I'll do it for you.
Mystery Glaciers Growing as Most Others Retreat

Mystery Glaciers Growing as Most Others RetreatJohn Roach
for National Geographic News

June 22, 2009
Two South American glaciers are displaying strange behavior for the times: They're growing.

Most of the 50 massive glaciers draped over the spine of the Patagonian Andes are shrinking in response to a global warming, said Andrés Rivera, a glaciologist at the Center for Scientific Studies in Valdivia, Chile. (Related: "Mountain Glaciers Melting Faster Than Ever, Expert Says.")

RELATED
No More Glaciers in Glacier National Park by 2020?
VIDEO: Rare Argentina Winter Ice Break
MAP: Global Glacier Melt
But the Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina and Pio XI glacier in Chile are taking on ice, instead of shedding it.

"What is happening … is not well understood," Rivera said.

Theories center on the geography and topography of the glaciers; the depth and temperature of the waters where the glaciers end; and how quickly, or slowly, they react to changes in the climate.

Yet overall, "if you account for the gains and losses of all of Patagonia's glaciers, they are [still] losing huge amounts of ice," Rivera pointed out.

Climate Insensitivity?

One hypothesis for the 3-mile-wide (5 kilometer-wide) Perito Moreno's advance is the glacier's apparent insensitivity to changes in what glaciologists call the equilibrium line on glaciers, Rivera said.

Roughly equivalent to the snow line, the equilibrium line is the elevation above which the glacier is growing, due to snow accumulation, and below which the glacier is melting.

When this line moves higher up a hill or a mountain due to rising temperatures, for example, more of the glacier is situated in the melting zone, and the glacier retreats.

But because Argentina's Perito Moreno glacier is so steep in the area where the equilibrium line falls, climate shifts don't impact the line's movement much, at least as it relates to the height of the mountain, Rivera noted.

As a result, the amount of of ice lost or gained is minimal.
LOL
yeah, on the SOUTHERN tip of the Andes
find one up in Peru thats growing dumbass

its the NORTHERN Andean Glaciers we always hear about them melting
and that because they are on the fucking EQUATOR asshole

Dumbass? You made the claim, you name the glacier. Can you? Or is this more dumbass blathering without anything to back it up. Even seven year olds realize someone will call them on their tall tales.

Dumbass? You made the claim, you name the glacier. Can you? Or is this more dumbass blathering without anything to back it up. Even seven year olds realize someone will call them on their tall tales.
i asked because i have never heard of one, dumbass
the ones in the north MELTING are all you EVER hear of
and those are on the fucking EQUATOR, asshole

talking about melting glaciers on the fucking EQUATOR is stupid
of course they are gonna be melting

Forum List

Back