More record heat in the Northwest

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
SEATTLE — Northwesterners more accustomed to rain and cooler climate sought refuge from a heat wave Wednesday, as Seattle recorded the hottest temperature in its history and Portland fell just 1 degree short of its own record-breaker.

The National Weather Service in Seattle recorded 103 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, breaking a previous record of 100 degrees, set in downtown Seattle in 1941 and repeated at the airport in 1994.

Jay Albrecht, a Seattle meteorologist with the service, said it's the hottest it has been in Seattle since records dating to 1891.

In Oregon, heat records were set in cities across the western half of the state, with Portland topping out at 106 degrees, breaking the old record of 100 for the day but falling 1 degree shy of its all-time record of 107. Portland most recently hit the 107 mark in 1981.

The Associated Press: Seattle breaks temp record as heat wave continues

SEATTLE — Northwesterners more accustomed to rain and cooler climate sought refuge from a heat wave Wednesday, as Seattle recorded the hottest temperature in its history and Portland fell just 1 degree short of its own record-breaker.

The National Weather Service in Seattle recorded 103 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, breaking a previous record of 100 degrees, set in downtown Seattle in 1941 and repeated at the airport in 1994.

Jay Albrecht, a Seattle meteorologist with the service, said it's the hottest it has been in Seattle since records dating to 1891.

In Oregon, heat records were set in cities across the western half of the state, with Portland topping out at 106 degrees, breaking the old record of 100 for the day but falling 1 degree shy of its all-time record of 107. Portland most recently hit the 107 mark in 1981.

I've been wondering where all my warm summer july weather went.....the northwest stole it and gave us record cold averages over here.

At least the last 2 days were summer like. :D

Even in Astoria, where temperatures rarely reach into the 80s, a new record was set. The town near the mouth of the Columbia River recorded a high temperature of 92 degrees, 10 degrees higher than the previous record set in 2003.

In Vancouver, Wash., where the temperature reached 106 degrees, an all-time record was broken.

Still in the coolish spring monsoon pattern in most of the intermountain west.

And the ice cap keeps melting in spite of the fact that the Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years.

Why is that?

Even in Astoria, where temperatures rarely reach into the 80s, a new record was set. The town near the mouth of the Columbia River recorded a high temperature of 92 degrees, 10 degrees higher than the previous record set in 2003.

In Vancouver, Wash., where the temperature reached 106 degrees, an all-time record was broken.
Vancouver can be hot since it farther inland, it was 100 this time last year when I was there.
Today it reached 105 in some areas but we can get that once a year here since we are on the west side. My parents pool that is only solar heat is up to 94.
As for Astoria I would have hated to be there, it was probably muggy as shit. Also a side trivia note, Astoria is where they filmed the Goonies.

Vancouver can be hot since it farther inland, it was 100 this time last year when I was there.
Today it reached 105 in some areas but we can get that once a year here since we are on the west side. My parents pool that is only solar heat is up to 94.
As for Astoria I would have hated to be there, it was probably muggy as shit. Also a side trivia note, Astoria is where they filmed the Goonies.

I remember in the early 90's getting sunburns every time I visited that area. Thing is, late 80's this was normal weather here in Seattle, but with 90% of this area nothing but "aliens" now, most don't remember back that far, much less the fact that it was hotter sooner and longer two years ago. Sure, we set a "daily" record here once, from 5 years ago, but over all, this is actually a very mild summer.

And the ice cap keeps melting in spite of the fact that the Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years.

Why is that?

Where is all the water going, we are all gonna drown. Build boats, rafts and arks, quick. Water world here we come, I hope I get those neat gills and webbed appendages.

Record COOL in the midwest. what's your point?

Why is that?

Where is all the water going, we are all gonna drown. Build boats, rafts and arks, quick. Water world here we come, I hope I get those neat gills and webbed appendages.

yeah. We'll adapt. :lol::lol:

I remember in the early 90's getting sunburns every time I visited that area. Thing is, late 80's this was normal weather here in Seattle, but with 90% of this area nothing but "aliens" now, most don't remember back that far, much less the fact that it was hotter sooner and longer two years ago. Sure, we set a "daily" record here once, from 5 years ago, but over all, this is actually a very mild summer.
It hit 90 early here than was mostly in the 80's all the summer until the last week. I remember a few years ago when it was almost 100 every day for a month it seemed, of course I had an outside job that year. I think I lost 30 lbs that summer by sweating it out of me. It didn't rain that much that year and there fires all over okanagan county. They do say this year will be bad because of over growth.

It hit 90 early here than was mostly in the 80's all the summer until the last week. I remember a few years ago when it was almost 100 every day for a month it seemed, of course I had an outside job that year. I think I lost 30 lbs that summer by sweating it out of me. It didn't rain that much that year and there fires all over okanagan county. They do say this year will be bad because of over growth.

yeah most don't have air conditioning.

yeah most don't have air conditioning.
on this side of the state most people do. We are used to having shitty winters and hot summers.

pure anecdotal

:lol:

pure anecdotal

:lol:

As well as very short sighted in so many ways, inaccurate, and just plain ignorant. Lived here most my life, this "strange" heat wave is nothing new, just the timing is a bit different. I remember an August back in the 80's that was 110 half the month, we had a neighborhood swimming pool ... so we just spent a lot of time there.

Forum List

Back