More evidence of misleading bias on TV

manu1959 said:
give me an example of a slippery slope argument
Well there are lots...

The NRA fighting any and every bit of gun legislation out there.

NOW fighting any and every bit of abortion restriction out there.

ACLU fighting violations of privacy rights.

Religous groups fighting restrictions on religous displays paid for by tax-payer dollars.

The corralary of each of these at one time or another also used the slippery slope argument.

It's a political tool and to a degree a legitimate discussion. Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo, and Stalin all gave credence to the slippery slope argument and gave it significant policial power.

KarlMarx is right on the money. Abortion is a political hot issue mostly because in was in the court that the issue was decided. Put the issue in the authority of the states voters and in time the issue will much less of a political struggle. Don't forget millions of dollars are genterated in fund raising for this issue.

jAZ said:
Sounds like you think that's how it should be, but I'm not sure if you are saying that the notion of a slippery slope doesn't exist.

I think your instincts are pretty effective as a political compass (each case, event, decision are unique). Kudos for that.

At the same time, I think the slippery slope comes from a very real thing - politilcal momentum. I think that between banning all guns and letting people drive around in tanks... there is a reasonable reality.

I believe that between abortion on demand in the 9th month... and all illegal all the time... there is a reasonable reality.

I'm a pragmatist at heart.

Politics (on both sides) doesn't organize well around pragmatism.

I think that's where most people are. Polls aside, I think even some of the most extreme Conservatives realize there can be medical reasons for abortions, and I think most think it should be an option in cases of rape or incest. My opinion, and I think the opinion of most people, is that abortion shouldn't be used as birth control. The problem I have is with the woman that goes out, gets laid, gets pregnant, and wants to have an abortion so it doesn't ruin her summer. As I've said before, in those cases the woman makes her choice when she let's the man stick his penis inside of her.

Speaking personally, I have a problem with abortion being recognized by advocates as "Constitutionally protected" when it's not. It's protected by a Supreme Court decision that was based on the very loose definition of a single word which, by the way, also isn't in the Constitution, but is associated with the Constitution because of another Supreme Court decision.

I haven't looked it up, but I would imagine that the states that had legal abortion before Roe v. Wade still have it on the books, so little would change for them. If the majority support abortion, with or without limitations, I'm sure each state would put it on the ballot and let people vote for or against it.

KarlMarx said:

But, the Democrats know that if Roe vs Wade is overturned that the majority of American voters do not support abortion on demand, partial birth abortion, and not informing the parents of a child that is going to get an abortion... THAT'S what they're afraid of.

It's nice to see someone who can read poll results. :clap1:

jAZ said:
You called out hyperbole (however accurate it was) at the expense of the actucal disucssion. That's the behavior of someone who's hiding from the primary discussion. It's a "gotcha" game.

In a literal sense, you've proven nothing, because you refuse to explore the link I provided. It is quite literally filled with hundreds (certainly over 1000) examples of the kind of failures expressed in this thread only helping the Republican's cause through misinformation.

What does this mean? What are you refering to?

Again, what are you talking about specifically. I don't believe I've been overly broad and asserted something about "(all) cons" as you seem to be suggesting (by way of contrast with your own views).

If I've done this, please lead by example and "quote that lib" (me) doing so.

Again, :trolls:

Kathianne said:
So I've been told. In fact, I've been given the advice to just ignore you. That I'll be better of doing so. That your game is in fact the "gotcha" game.

Too bad, someone who seems to pride themselves on their research skills, I was really hoping to benefit from that. Instead I get name calling via smilies.

Oh well.

While I think the original quote was extremely misleading, Jaz is right about the technical aspect. But I also think that is irrelevant.

I do also think he has provided a pretty good defense of his posistion, and hasnt really resorted to hyperbole. Im not sure why the negativity generated by a few, maybe one, poster.

jAZ said:
Sounds like you think that's how it should be, but I'm not sure if you are saying that the notion of a slippery slope doesn't exist.

I think your instincts are pretty effective as a political compass (each case, event, decision are unique). Kudos for that.

At the same time, I think the slippery slope comes from a very real thing - politilcal momentum. I think that between banning all guns and letting people drive around in tanks... there is a reasonable reality.

I believe that between abortion on demand in the 9th month... and all illegal all the time... there is a reasonable reality.

I'm a pragmatist at heart.

Politics (on both sides) doesn't organize well around pragmatism.

i don't think people should be allowed to drive around in tanks

i believe people should be allowed to own guns

i believe women should decide the abortion issue not the federal govt.

i belive people invented the slippery slope argument to avoid making case b case decissions as in other words if i do such and such for so and so then i will have to do it for everyone...bullshit....you did it for them because that is what the circumstance required....give me a set of identical circumstances and there you go...oh and thanks for giving me permission to have an opinion

LuvRPgrl said:
While I think the original quote was extremely misleading, Jaz is right about the technical aspect. But I also think that is irrelevant.

I do also think he has provided a pretty good defense of his posistion, and hasnt really resorted to hyperbole. Im not sure why the negativity generated by a few, maybe one, poster.

i think we may be having a bit of fun with him / her to see if he / she will self destruct....that seems to be how we "test" the lib newbies....clay tauraus delt with it with humour....most come in a nd start preaching and name calling and get dogpiled....to each their own

manu1959 said:
i think we may be having a bit of fun with him / her to see if he / she will self destruct....that seems to be how we "test" the lib newbies....clay tauraus delt with it with humour....most come in a nd start preaching and name calling and get dogpiled....to each their own

I feel quite confident jaz is a he.

I am a bit concerned though. I would like to see some not so wacked out liberals (psycho blues) on board. Like Jaz said, when everyone agrees, it gets boring.

But of course I have been posting at DU. Lets see how long I last, and how much I shake them. I wonder if they will delete my posts once they ban me.

LuvRPgrl said:

I am a bit concerned though. I would like to see some not so wacked out liberals (psycho blues) on board. Like Jaz said, when everyone agrees, it gets boring.

But of course I have been posting at DU. Lets see how long I last, and how much I shake them. I wonder if they will delete my posts once they ban me.

didn't want to make an assumption about it

i too would like to see a bit more temperance here.....

i am pretty sure i am left of most people here but i know i am way right of the du got banned there in short order....i do know most people here are not as far right as my family

LuvRPgrl said:

DU (like FR) is a different animal. They ban conservative/liberals because the point is to build a community of common interests. It's not to foster politilcal debate.

You'll be banned and based on their stated purpose, I'd say rightly so. Just like if I went to FR and started messing with them.

I'm glad that there's a community here at least seemingly open to discussion.

jAZ said:
And yes, I'm a he.

welcome aboard sir.....this place will entertaine opposing views but i would advise knowing the posistion and hot buttons of those you care to debate....if you "attack" the wrong person you stay may be short.....there are some very thin skins here.....

Kathianne said:
Now that we've clear that up. Hey, you made Manu come clean that he is really a lib! :laugh:

anyone that doesn't want an outright ban on aborition is a lib....no?

but i am pro war, pro gun, pro death penalty, understand that sep of church and states is speaking of not letting the church run the country (see church of england) or the govt. eliminating religious freedom (see soviet union) and i have been a rebublican since 1978.... longer if you count campaigns with my dad.....in california that all makes me a stupid neo-con :dunno:

manu1959 said:
anyone that doesn't want an outright ban on aborition is a lib....no?

but i am pro war, pro gun, pro death penalty, understand that sep of church and states is speaking of not letting the church run the country (see church of england) or the govt. eliminating religious freedom (see soviet union) and i have been a rebublican since 1978.... longer if you count campaigns with my dad.....in california that all makes me a stupid neo-con :dunno:
LOL, I was just kidding. You are not the only one here to the left of many on certain topics. :p:

manu1959 said:
welcome aboard sir.....this place will entertaine opposing views but i would advise knowing the posistion and hot buttons of those you care to debate....if you "attack" the wrong person you stay may be short.....there are some very thin skins here.....
I try hard not to "attack" anyone here. Though, I've already been attacked myself... repeatedly.

I attack ideas, and do it with documentable evidence as best I can provide.

I don't let people get away with mis-stating my views so that they can criticize my point. Call it a pet peeve, but I'm a big fan of honest discussion. I could be wrong, but don't misquote me and then tell me that I'm wrong.

That's how I try to approach things.

I've already made a few "friends" here. :D

Thanks for the heads up though.

jAZ said:
I try hard not to "attack" anyone here. Though, I've already been attacked myself... repeatedly.

I don't let people get away with mis-stating my views so that they can criticize my point. Call it a pet peeve, but I'm a big fan of honest discussion. I could be wrong, but don't misquote me and then tell me that I'm wrong.

I'm not big on misquoting, nor contrary to what you may have heard, 'gotcha' unless of course you play that game. You didn't and came back with the answer of 4 links + a search site. If you had been here longer, that probably wouldn't have been an issue at all. Anyhow, a belated welcome and enjoy.

jAZ said:

good luck

Forum List

Back