Great Depression coming brought to you by the FEDs

DarthTrader

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2022

It's not hidden news - there's one of many articles that the markets took a hit right now because of FED policy missteps. But, that's actually not the meat and potatoes I want to talk about. I didn't want a discussion limited to the "Stock Market" forum because it doesn't have a broad enough audience for a great discussion.

My main points would be this:
  1. In 1929, unemployment was at 3.2%
    1. Unemployment, Levels of | Encyclopedia.com
  2. Housing prices were at an all time high (peaking in 3rd quarter 1929)
    1. Real Estate Prices During the Roaring Twenties and the Great Depression - Article - Faculty & Research - Harvard Business School
  3. Equities were (by historical analysis) not in a bubble, but fairly priced. If I can dredge up the research I'll point to how and why this was the case.
  4. FEDs began a hiking cycle because they worried about inflation (in reality there was not ENOUGH money).
    1. This is also true today. We have supply driven inflation combined with helicopter money drops from COVID stimulus. But arguably most of that money was appropriately used because there was a corresponding furlough of workers. So...it's hard to evaluate if we have enough money or not in the system or if inflation is simply a supply/logistics problem.
      1. It’s Mostly a Demand Shock, Not a Supply Shock, and It’s Everywhere
  5. Real Estate Bond Issuance as part of total Bonds issued reached 25%+
    1. Real Estate Prices During the Roaring Twenties and the Great Depression - Article - Faculty & Research - Harvard Business School
      1. This is crucially important because even 2008 housing bubble got no where close to that.
        1. I'll let you guess where it is today. 38%.
        2. Pieced together from this info:
          1. https://www.google.com/search?q=siz...i30l3j0i390.3168j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
          2. https://www.google.com/search?q=val...22i29i30l4.10569j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  6. Also, Corporate earnings were at their best just a few quarters before the market collapse in 1929. It wasn't until the quarter before the collapse that corporate earnings started to show something was wrong.
    1. Today this is also true, it wasn't until Q1-2022 that we started to see weaker corporate earnings in the biggest companies. Q2-2022 is looking even worse.
This should be enough to get the ball rolling.

My argument isn't that we have same conditions therefore same results. My argument is that the same causes have created the same conditions.

1929 was largely created by a credit glut. Yields were at their lowest in decades and that money was driven into - principally - real estate, not the stock market. The stock market is just more vulnerable to changes, but it's the fixed-income securities that's the problem. Since 2008, the housing market is sicker than a dog. Worse than 2006.

The problem is that the housing prices today are driven by collateralizing mortgages and exotic mortgages with the rising asset price of previous mortgages. Several large home buyers such as the spin-off from Black Rock, Invitation Homes (INVH) are doing this. And they take out large exotic loans at less interest rate than an individual/family can gain access to. They monetize these exotic loans, buy the house in cash through straw buyers, then fold the loan into a basket of mortgages.

None of this by itself is a problem. The problem is what happens (as 1929 proves, as well as 2007) when the FEDs cause interest rates to go higher. When mortgage rates go higher, the foundation of the housing market in particular, is unable to sustain the prices.

Lower prices means lost collateral means defaults on mortgage backed securities, again....

Today we have all the symptoms of the same sickness that struck in 1929.

Last 2 days of market sell off were 6x more magnitude than the sell off in January 2022. I don't think that sell off will be sustained, but it's showing how severely liquidity is drying up. The FEDs ran into the exact same problems in 1929, their rate hikes caused major liquidity issue.

2007 saw the same, there were 14 rate hikes before the yield curve inverted, a recession's severity can be measured by how many rate hikes followed the inversion.

In 2007 there were 3x 25 basis point hikes after the inversion.

Today we are looking at 3x 25 basis point hikes starting May, since May will be a 50 bp hike. If they follow through with another 50 or 75bp hike in June, then we will be in uncharted territory, with an economy as weak as the one that entered the Great Depression.

In the Great Depression we had trade wars and beggar thy neighbor type inflation problems leading up to 1929. That didn't exist in 2007. But it exists again today for the first time since the 1970s.

Very good points.

I think this is really all about intentionally collapsing the whole thing and creating a new, unified global system.

Black Rock, State Street, and Vanguard literally own everything.

US Gov is behind all of them.

US Gov went to L. Fink for his Alladin 'black box'.

It is all so corrupted.

FEDs began a hiking cycle because they worried about inflation (in reality there was not ENOUGH money).

They were worried about stock market speculation.

The problem is what happens (as 1929 proves, as well as 2007) when the FEDs cause interest rates to go higher.

Gotta fight the Biden-flation somehow.

When mortgage rates go higher, the foundation of the housing market in particular, is unable to sustain the prices.

Can't continue these unsupportable housing price increases forever.

You never corrected your Russian deflation error.

1650668697337.png

It's not hidden news - there's one of many articles that the markets took a hit right now because of FED policy missteps. But, that's actually not the meat and potatoes I want to talk about. I didn't want a discussion limited to the "Stock Market" forum because it doesn't have a broad enough audience for a great discussion.

3. Equities were (by historical analysis) not in a bubble, but fairly priced. If I can dredge up the research I'll point to how and why this was the case.
  4. FEDs began a hiking cycle because they worried about inflation (in reality there was not ENOUGH money).
    1. This is also true today. We have supply driven inflation combined with helicopter money drops from COVID stimulus. But arguably most of that money was appropriately used because there was a corresponding furlough of workers. So...it's hard to evaluate if we have enough money or not in the system or if inflation is simply a supply/logistics problem.
      1. This is crucially important because even 2008 housing bubble got no where close to that.
          1. https://www.google.com/search?q=siz...i30l3j0i390.3168j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
          2. https://www.google.com/search?q=val...22i29i30l4.10569j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  6. Also, Corporate earnings were at their best just a few quarters before the market collapse in 1929. It wasn't until the quarter before the collapse that corporate earnings started to show something was wrong.
    1. Today this is also true, it wasn't until Q1-2022 that we started to see weaker corporate earnings in the biggest companies. Q2-2022 is looking even worse.

My argument isn't that we have same conditions therefore same results. My argument is that the same causes have created the same conditions.

1929 was largely created by a credit glut. Yields were at their lowest in decades and that money was driven into - principally - real estate, not the stock market. The stock market is just more vulnerable to changes, but it's the fixed-income securities that's the problem. Since 2008, the housing market is sicker than a dog. Worse than 2006.

The problem is that the housing prices today are driven by collateralizing mortgages and exotic mortgages with the rising asset price of previous mortgages. Several large home buyers such as the spin-off from Black Rock, Invitation Homes (INVH) are doing this. And they take out large exotic loans at less interest rate than an individual/family can gain access to. They monetize these exotic loans, buy the house in cash through straw buyers, then fold the loan into a basket of mortgages.

None of this by itself is a problem. The problem is what happens (as 1929 proves, as well as 2007) when the FEDs cause interest rates to go higher. When mortgage rates go higher, the foundation of the housing market in particular, is unable to sustain the prices.

Lower prices means lost collateral means defaults on mortgage backed securities, again....

Last 2 days of market sell off were 6x more magnitude than the sell off in January 2022. I don't think that sell off will be sustained, but it's showing how severely liquidity is drying up. The FEDs ran into the exact same problems in 1929, their rate hikes caused major liquidity issue.

2007 saw the same, there were 14 rate hikes before the yield curve inverted, a recession's severity can be measured by how many rate hikes followed the inversion.

Today we are looking at 3x 25 basis point hikes starting May, since May will be a 50 bp hike. If they follow through with another 50 or 75bp hike in June, then we will be in uncharted territory, with an economy as weak as the one that entered the Great Depression.

In the Great Depression we had trade wars and beggar thy neighbor type inflation problems leading up to 1929. That didn't exist in 2007. But it exists again today for the first time since the 1970s.
Well done!!!

As said over and over this is going to bey way worse than the great depression. The G.D. Will look like a picnic when this comes in full blown right here in good ole US of A.

Just look where Italy is right this GLOBAL FOOD SHORTAGE is ON PURPOSE build back better

YOU WILL OWN NOTHING AND BE HAPPY! We can never return to normal production there is nothing left
of our nation they are stripping our nation from with in dumbasses.

” Infiltrated from with in “ there is and wasn’t any 911 boogie man it was an inside flippen ass job.

Who is the President of the US again?

Could be worse…..

We could be Russia

Lmfao your going to wish you were In Russia stooge , the US is going to get it worse than you could ever imagine promise you because there is no stopping this global collapse don’t you get that “ THIS IS GLOBAL”
Not your next door, not the other state, it’s not the country having a burp…….We are done!!

Hope you poking is just joking and your plenty stocked up 3 wks worth won’t cut it.
nor 6 mos.

Lmfao your going to wish you were In Russia stooge , the US is going to get it worse than you could ever imagine promise you because there is no stopping this global collapse don’t you get that “ THIS IS GLOBAL”
Not your next door, not the other state, it’s not the country having a burp…….We are done!!

Hope you poking is just joking and your plenty stocked up 3 wks worth won’t cut it.
nor 6 mos.
Whistling past a graveyard

Russia has NEVER had the economy of the US
Any hope of having a modern economy vanished when Putin pushed away the West and invaded Ukraine

Worst part is he is getting an ass kicking from Ukraine

They were worried about stock market speculation.

The problem is what happens (as 1929 proves, as well as 2007) when the FEDs cause interest rates to go higher.

Gotta fight the Biden-flation somehow.

When mortgage rates go higher, the foundation of the housing market in particular, is unable to sustain the prices.

Can't continue these unsupportable housing price increases forever.

You never corrected your Russian deflation error.

View attachment 634747
I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about the intentions of the FED in 1929 suffice to say I know INFINITELY more about it than you do.

Their primary concern was "inflation". They saw bubbles where there were none as a result of inflation. There was also an "anti-speculator" movement within the FED that persisted throughout the entire Great Depression causing it to be more punitive than it had to be....but, that wasn't their principle target.

Also the US Federal Reserve in "Saint Louis, MO" doesn't know shit about Russian M3 supply.

The US FED says it can't even know how much money the US has.

But you just believe what ever the fuck they tell you.

Learn a thing or two about how the MARKETS determine if there's inflation or deflation. Maybe you'll start to make some money.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about the intentions of the FED in 1929 suffice to say I know INFINITELY more about it than you do.

Their primary concern was "inflation". They saw bubbles where there were none as a result of inflation. There was also an "anti-speculator" movement within the FED that persisted throughout the entire Great Depression causing it to be more punitive than it had to be....but, that wasn't their principle target.

Also the US Federal Reserve in "Saint Louis, MO" doesn't know shit about Russian M3 supply.

The US FED says it can't even know how much money the US has.

But you just believe what ever the fuck they tell you.

Learn a thing or two about how the MARKETS determine if there's inflation or deflation. Maybe you'll start to make some money.

suffice to say I know INFINITELY more about it than you do.

Obviously. Based on your Russian deflation claim alone........DURR

They saw bubbles where there were none

No stock market bubble? LOL!

What's the real Russian M3? You must know, since you claimed it was shrinking.

Learn a thing or two about how the MARKETS determine if there's inflation or deflation.

That's a great idea. Why don't you start explaining why you think Russian interest rates of 20% means a "3% to 11% deflation in the Ruble"?

suffice to say I know INFINITELY more about it than you do.

Obviously. Based on your Russian deflation claim alone........DURR

They saw bubbles where there were none

No stock market bubble? LOL!

What's the real Russian M3? You must know, since you claimed it was shrinking.

Learn a thing or two about how the MARKETS determine if there's inflation or deflation.

That's a great idea. Why don't you start explaining why you think Russian interest rates of 20% means a "3% to 11% deflation in the Ruble"?
There was no stock market bubble in 1929. There's a painstainkly long research about how that turned out to be the case, but the market was actually pretty fair valued.

The US stock market returned 5.5x more than the US housing market by 1933. And the US housing market lost more by 1931 than the US stock market lost by 1931.

That alone should tell you you're FUCKING WRONG.

There was no stock market bubble in 1929. There's a painstainkly long research about how that turned out to be the case, but the market was actually pretty fair valued.

The US stock market returned 5.5x more than the US housing market by 1933. And the US housing market lost more by 1931 than the US stock market lost by 1931.

That alone should tell you you're FUCKING WRONG.

There was no stock market bubble in 1929.

Cool story. In that case you can show me the inflation they thought they were fighting in 1929.

It must have been fierce!

Forum List

Back