Moral Dilemma

The barron is an asshole for threatening his wife and keeping her in a prison.

The baroness is an idiot for staying with an asshole who threatens her and for not flat out leaving his sorry ass. Also has very bad taste in men....

The gateman was doing his job.... he warned her and she did not take the warning.

The lover is just your typical man whore out for a good time.

the boatman had is price and stuck to it.

the friend is no friend. She should have said "good for you for leaving is sorry ass, stay here with me." Good for her for not giving her money to return to an abusive husband.

Characters in a melodrama don't kill people... knives kill people.

The knife is responsible.

:D

it would all depend on if the prop man checks the weapons.

One person is responsible for all that happened. The baroness. Her choice to marry the baron in the first place. Her choice to allow to continue what happened during their marriage (people only do to you what you LET them do to you). Her choice to go see a lover (which the baron probably knew about and wanted to put a stop to it...which means she was unfaithful at least once. Maybe more than one "lover" was involved). She chose to go regardless of the warning. Her choice to return and denied. Her choice to involve outsiders. Her choice to put her friend in a spot. Her choice to go back and get her ass killed.

So in answer to the questions....only one person. The baroness.

Maybe the community is at fault for allowing the Baron to enforce such a barbaric order....

Why was the Gateman not prosecuted?

Baroness - For even being with such a vicious man, she must have known.

Baron - For ordering the gateman to kill her.

Gateman - For following orders and killing her.

Lover - For being cowardly.

Boatman - For not taking her across just to help.

Friend - For not being a loyal friend.

1 Society, for it's patriarchal bullshit paradigm

'If you had not disobeyed your husband, this would not have happened,'

5-MO5_large.jpg

One person is responsible for all that happened. The baroness. Her choice to marry the baron in the first place. Her choice to allow to continue what happened during their marriage (people only do to you what you LET them do to you). Her choice to go see a lover (which the baron probably knew about and wanted to put a stop to it...which means she was unfaithful at least once. Maybe more than one "lover" was involved). She chose to go regardless of the warning. Her choice to return and denied. Her choice to involve outsiders. Her choice to put her friend in a spot. Her choice to go back and get her ass killed.

So in answer to the questions....only one person. The baroness.

Back in the days of baronesses, boatmen, and gate keepers, women HAD no choices in who they married, unless they managed to run away, in which case employment opportunities were limited as well, and often that choice was also made for women with no family protection. :eek:

Okay. That's a good point. But, even though that may be the case, is not one person in this little story more or less ethical than another?

Responsibility is not equally shared by everyone ... As it would be retarded to assist the Baroness in returning to her eventual death.

The friend and the boatman are far less culpable than the others.
It would be stupid for the friend to assist the Baroness in returning to the Baron ... So refusing to give her money to return to a stupid situation is more ethical than assisting her death.
The boatman only wanted to be paid for services rendered ... And if she had not returned to the Baron after being warned what the consequences were she would still be alive.

The lover's only crime is having an affair with someone he knew was married ... And assisting the Baroness' return would not have served the Baroness in any way.

The gateman is the most responsible for her death ... Because he killed her.
The Baron and Baroness are the only ones that share responsibility in as they are both conspirators ... Either to commit murder or infidelity.

Still ... The people who refused the Baroness the ability to return to a dangerous situation were far less culpable than the others.

Edit: There is nothing unethical about the boatman being paid for his services and feeding his family ... Plus he would have avoided putting the Baroness in any further danger.

Last edited:
What's your opinion?

"The drawbridge"

As he left for a visit to his outlying districts, the jealous Baron warned his pretty wife: 'Do not leave the castle while I am gone, or I will punish you severely when I return!' But as the hours passed, the young Baroness grew lonely; despite her husband's warning she decided to visit her Lover, who lived in the countryside nearby.

The castle was situated on an island in a wide, fast-flowing river. A drawbridge linked the island to the mainland at the narrowest point in the river. 'Surely my husband will not return before dawn,' she thought, and ordered her servants to lower the drawbridge and leave it down until she returned.

After spending several pleasant hours with her Lover, the Baroness returned to the drawbridge, only to find it blocked by a Gateman wildly waving a long, cruel knife. 'Do not attempt to cross this bridge, Baroness, or I will have to kill you,' the Gateman cried. 'The Baron ordered me to do so.

Fearing for her life, the Baroness returned to her Lover and asked for help. 'Our relationship is only a romantic one,' the Lover said. 'I will not help.'

The Baroness then sought out a Boatman on the river, explaining her plight to him, and asked him to take her across the river in his boat. 'I will do it, but only if you can pay my fee of five marks,' he responded. 'But I have no money with me,' the Baroness protested. 'That is too bad. No money, no ride,' the Boatman said flatly.

Her fear growing, the Baroness ran crying to a Friend's home and, after explaining her desperate situation, begged for enough money to pay the Boatman his fee. 'If you had not disobeyed your husband, this would not have happened,' the Friend said. 'I will give you no money.'

With dawn approaching and her last resource exhausted, the Baroness returned to the drawbridge in desperation, attempted to cross to the castle, and was slain by the Gateman.

In order of priorities, who is most responsible for the death of the Baroness?

Rank the six characters below: 6 for most responsible; 5 for next most responsible, down to 1 for least responsible.

6 = Gateman
5 = Baron
4 = Baroness
3 = Lover
2 = Boatman
1 = Friend

What's your opinion?

"The drawbridge"

As he left for a visit to his outlying districts, the jealous Baron warned his pretty wife: 'Do not leave the castle while I am gone, or I will punish you severely when I return!' But as the hours passed, the young Baroness grew lonely; despite her husband's warning she decided to visit her Lover, who lived in the countryside nearby.

The castle was situated on an island in a wide, fast-flowing river. A drawbridge linked the island to the mainland at the narrowest point in the river. 'Surely my husband will not return before dawn,' she thought, and ordered her servants to lower the drawbridge and leave it down until she returned.

After spending several pleasant hours with her Lover, the Baroness returned to the drawbridge, only to find it blocked by a Gateman wildly waving a long, cruel knife. 'Do not attempt to cross this bridge, Baroness, or I will have to kill you,' the Gateman cried. 'The Baron ordered me to do so.

Fearing for her life, the Baroness returned to her Lover and asked for help. 'Our relationship is only a romantic one,' the Lover said. 'I will not help.'

The Baroness then sought out a Boatman on the river, explaining her plight to him, and asked him to take her across the river in his boat. 'I will do it, but only if you can pay my fee of five marks,' he responded. 'But I have no money with me,' the Baroness protested. 'That is too bad. No money, no ride,' the Boatman said flatly.

Her fear growing, the Baroness ran crying to a Friend's home and, after explaining her desperate situation, begged for enough money to pay the Boatman his fee. 'If you had not disobeyed your husband, this would not have happened,' the Friend said. 'I will give you no money.'

With dawn approaching and her last resource exhausted, the Baroness returned to the drawbridge in desperation, attempted to cross to the castle, and was slain by the Gateman.

Rank the six characters below: 6 for most responsible; 5 for next most responsible, down to 1 for least responsible.

6 = Gateman
5 = Baron
4 = Baroness
3 = Lover
2 = Boatman
1 = Friend

Interesting choices. Care to give any reasons for your choices?

What's your opinion?

"The drawbridge"

6 = Gateman
5 = Baron
4 = Baroness
3 = Lover
2 = Boatman
1 = Friend

Interesting choices. Care to give any reasons for your choices?

Gateman actually carried out the deed. At Nuremberg, low rank guards following orders was not an accepted defense. Baron gave the order to the Gateman. Baroness initiated the whole series of events cheating, then finally trying to cross back knowing it was a risk. Lover for commiting adultery (assumed he knew she was married.) Last two were hard but finally concluded Boatman a bit more responsible if only because his part occured before the Friend. Boatman could have saved her if not for the demand of payment. Lastly the Friend. Last spot to be chosen I honestly didn't think too hard about it. :)

Ethical......those who acted with fidelity to their duties and the promise to carry out those duties. The wife who was with her lover got herself in a bad place because she was not "ethical" her lover should have done the right thing and made sure the baroness got home safely.

What about the friend? Is a friend ethically someone who will support you, even though you may be doing something he/she disagrees with? Her friend did nothing to help her, knowing it could end in death for the baroness.

yes men and enablers....are not friends.

the baroness did not have to go back.

She did not have to go back, once the person leaves, they leave and do not look back. That was her fatal error, she went back.

What about the friend? Is a friend ethically someone who will support you, even though you may be doing something he/she disagrees with? Her friend did nothing to help her, knowing it could end in death for the baroness.

She did not have to go back, once the person leaves, they leave and do not look back. That was her fatal error, she went back.

exactly......

exactly......

Let's see the woman wanted to be away from her marriage and so she was. If she stayed home eating bon bons this never would have happened

exactly......

Let's see the woman wanted to be away from her marriage and so she was. If she stayed home eating bon bons this never would have happened

she really did not want to be a way from her marriage at all.... Typical battered wife syndrome.... and THAT is the sad part. All she wanted was to have some fun while he was gone....and not get caught.

Forum List

Back