Monopoly Power and Wages

Brain357

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2013
Our stagnant wages is something that I find quite fascinating. Never would I have guessed unemployment could be so low without much better wages. I was watching a new report about how so many of our industries have become monopolies and I instantly started thinking maybe this is why wages are so stagnant. We've seen Apple and other large companies collude to hold down wages, imagine what monopolies could do.

Does Monopoly Power Explain Workers’ Stagnant Wages?

Could this be the answer?

We could use more mom and pop restaurants and less chains, but government schools make people stupid and demand brands and monopolies.

They turn them all into good little fascist consumers.

The problem is that corporations can off load labor costs on to the taxpayers.

Why pay people a living wage when you can pay them less and the employee can go get food stamps, HUD, etc?

These benefits put someone looking for a job at a disadvantage when it comes to negotiating wages.

If these benefits didn't exist or at least were hard to get people wouldn't take a 9 dollar an hour job at Walmart because what's the point? You can't afford to live and eat. The employer would be forced to pay more.

We could use more mom and pop restaurants and less chains, but government schools make people stupid and demand brands and monopolies.

That seems like a really big jump to schools. We have all these monopolies because of lobbying. Big corps lobby for government created advantages and put out the competition. Look at how many tax dollars Amazon collects.

Why pay people a living wage when you can pay them less and the employee can go get food stamps, HUD, etc?

These benefits put someone looking for a job at a disadvantage when it comes to negotiating wages.

If these benefits didn't exist or at least were hard to get people wouldn't take a 9 dollar an hour job at Walmart because what's the point? You can't afford to live and eat. The employer would be forced to pay more.
But even higher wages have been stagnant, these are people making too much to collect welfare. But there is no doubt the government is subsidizing lower wages for huge corporations.

But even higher wages have been stagnant, these are people making too much to collect welfare. But there is no doubt the government is subsidizing lower wages for huge corporations.

That I think has alot to do with the deindustrialization of America.

Ross Perot the crazy redneck predicted this would happen 25 years ago and everyone called him "silly" I believe is what Al Gore said on Larry King.

Ross Perot the crazy redneck predicted this would happen 25 years ago and everyone called him "silly" I believe is what Al Gore said on Larry King.
Ross was right about a lot.

That seems like a really big jump to schools. We have all these monopolies because of lobbying. Big corps lobby for government created advantages and put out the competition. Look at how many tax dollars Amazon collects.
'
Almost every job has been affected by automation in some way. Since the company has to pay for the automation's initial capital and it's upkeep, and it removes some of the responsibility of the provided labor from the worker, why are we surprised that wages are stagnant?

Automation initially was a force multiplier for the worker, increasing efficiency and production, now automation is a force replacer more often than not.

'
Almost every job has been affected by automation in some way. Since the company has to pay for the automation's initial capital and it's upkeep, and it removes some of the responsibility of the provided labor from the worker, why are we surprised that wages are stagnant?

Automation initially was a force multiplier for the worker, increasing efficiency and production, now automation is a force replacer more often than not.

It is unfortunately hurting young people the most. My local grocery store barely keeps any cash registers open anymore because of the self check out.

I am an assistant kitchen manager at a restaurant. We hire young kids to do the simple jobs and we have adults around 21 who this is their first job.

Yes part of it is they are lazy, but looking at the job market today what used to be first jobs like cashier, stock boy, flipping burgers is now populated with adults. It makes my boss' and my job harder because we have to explain simple things that they should have learned when they were 16 and 17

I'm not saying that the schools directly teach it. It is in the way the peer groupings go about it though, it isn't discouraged though.

Mom and pop restaurants make better food. They can't compete with the chains, which is why our town has never allowed any, except one McD's on the outskirts.

'

It is unfortunately hurting young people the most. My local grocery store barely keeps any cash registers open anymore because of the self check out.

I am an assistant kitchen manager at a restaurant. We hire young kids to do the simple jobs and we have adults around 21 who this is their first job.

Yes part of it is they are lazy, but looking at the job market today what used to be first jobs like cashier, stock boy, flipping burgers is now populated with adults. It makes my boss' and my job harder because we have to explain simple things that they should have learned when they were 16 and 17

There are plenty of trades out there that need people, however most of them involve physical activity 8 hours or more a day.

I voted for him.

'

There are plenty of trades out there that need people, however most of them involve physical activity 8 hours or more a day.

A significant part of that is how kids are raised to think about those jobs as "beneath them".

This is why I laugh when the "not racist liberals". They teach their kids that they are too good to do the jobs and then turn around and say immigrants do the jobs Americans won't.

They are teaching their kids "they are better than Mexicans".

I voted for him.

I would have, but wasn't old enough.

I could not have said it better myself.

When too many people are content just getting a paycheck, this is what happens.

Sick of working for the man? Start your own business.

I don't disagree with you on this point, but killing the lobbying (and government-sponsored monopoly) is only one plank. An educated population equipped to compete at the ground level is the other solution. Employees are servants. Don't want to be a servant? Start your own business.

I could not have said it better myself.

When too many people are content just getting a paycheck, this is what happens.

Sick of working for the man? Start your own business.
The cost of healthcare and these monopolies are making that much harder.

Our stagnant wages is something that I find quite fascinating. Never would I have guessed unemployment could be so low without much better wages. I was watching a new report about how so many of our industries have become monopolies and I instantly started thinking maybe this is why wages are so stagnant. We've seen Apple and other large companies collude to hold down wages, imagine what monopolies could do.

Could this be the answer?”

Nope...look no further than wetbacks...they have decimated the middle class, blue collar construction trades...the catalyst to all job markets. No construction tradesman can live a decent quality of life anymore.
Simple shit!

Could this be the answer?”

Nope...look no further than wetbacks...they have decimated the middle class, blue collar construction trades...the catalyst to all job markets. No construction tradesman can live a decent quality of life anymore.
Simple shit!
I don’t think you can stagnate wages with a few cheap immigrant workers. It probably has some effect for those who make very little, but even good paying jobs have been stagnant.

Forum List

Back