Moment of Silence found unconstitutional

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
Judge: Moment-of-silence law unconstitutional - Chicago Breaking News

A federal judge in Chicago ruled today that a state law mandating a moment of silence in Illinois public schools is unconstitutional.

The judge, Robert W. Gettleman of the U.S. District Court, had put the Illinois law on hold last May while he considered the case filed by an atheist on behalf of his daughter.

Critics of the law, including the American Civil Liberties Union, contended the law amounted to a government endorsement of religion.

"Students remain free to pray on their own, in a non-disruptive manner, throughout the school day," ACLU lawyer Adam Schwartz said in a statement. "As Judge Gettleman recognized in his decision, public school students in Illinois do not require the permission of the General Assembly to engage in this constitutionally protected activity. "

I don't see how it "amounted to a government endorsement of religion".

Aw. I liked those moments of silence when I was in school. A brief moment of peace and quiet...

Of course, everyone knew perfectly well that it was an unofficial prayer time, but I thought the "wall" was sufficiently respected since there was nothing explicitly religious about it, and since there was no way to tell who was and wasn't praying there were no social repremands for not praying. Of course, everyone had to keep quiet, but I think it's well within a school's authority to tell everyone to stfu for a minute.

Aw. I liked those moments of silence when I was in school. A brief moment of peace and quiet...

Of course, everyone knew perfectly well that it was an unofficial prayer time, but I thought the "wall" was sufficiently respected since there was nothing explicitly religious about it, and since there was no way to tell who was and wasn't praying there were no social repremands for not praying. Of course, everyone had to keep quiet, but I think it's well within a school's authority to tell everyone to stfu for a minute.

Question is however, when is it no longer within a school's authority?

Let's face it, the moment of silence always has been unoffical prayer time as you stated though because they could never state it in public schools outloud like that.

And if that's the case, it would be unconstitutional.

A moment of silence for our troops serving overseas, who have died,etc? That I don't mind.

Question is however, when is it no longer within a school's authority?

Let's face it, the moment of silence always has been unoffical prayer time as you stated though because they could never state it in public schools outloud like that.

And if that's the case, it would be unconstitutional.

A moment of silence for our troops serving overseas, who have died,etc? That I don't mind.

Oh please---now we have to define what a moment of silence if FOR ???

Oh please---now we have to define what a moment of silence if FOR ???

Shrugs, personally I could care less since I don't pray during that moment of silence. However, the moment of silence has always seen as a moment of prayer; only after 9/11 for a short period of time was it seen as a silent moment for those who died on 9/11.

Then after the War in Afghanistan/Iraq began, for a short period of time it was seen as a silent moment for the troops.

Big difference when it's a moment of prayer and a moment for the troops.

I don't, but for many it's more of the principle of the thing I suppose.

How about a nanosecond of silence? Would that be less offensive? More principled? Too PC? Too compromised?

A minute is such a looooonnnnngggggg time.

Lawyers must not have enough to do.

Last edited:
Well I'm going to replace my moment of silence with flatulence, in the judge's honor.. :lol: where the hell is alpha when you need him? :lol::eusa_pray:

Aside from promoting prayer, what is the purpose of the MOS? Any student can say a prayer to himself at any time and any place and no one will know. Why does it have to be a group affair and have a special time set aside for it?
There is no motive for the MOS except a religious one.

Forum List

Back