Mobility in America.

I figured that is where this thread was heading.

Just out of curiousity how would you propose paying for repairing our "crumbling" roads? :confused:

The tolls we pay.

EDIT: that's the reason why they exsist.
What if every road were a toll road? I mean EVERY road. You pull out of your driveway and you're hit with a toll. Drive to the supermarket, pay a toll. drive across your state, pay a toll. Do you suppose that would boost or hinder economic activity?

Kinda like persuading the country to go to war, huh? Don't tell me you think that "Leftists" have an exclusive right to make such an argument!

Going to war is a bi-partisan issue.

Our congress needs to pass bills to fund the war, and that takes a majority agreement - that means democrats voted to fund these wars...

The president can declare war all he wants but funding a war is a different animal...
There are two point that need to be addressed.

One: sniperfire, in a fit of utter stupidity, thinks (that's rich!) that the dreaded "Leftists" "make every fucking issue a 'with us or against us' partisan deal". I was illustrating a similar argument made by the Moron Bush.

Two: the other point needing to be addressed is squarely atop your skull. Ever hear of the Department of Transportation? Do you realize they not only establish standards for interstate highway construction, but fund that construction through grants to the states?

Yes the department of transportation ARE state agencies, do you not understand that??

Illinois Department of Transportation

Home

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/

See??

Every state has a "department of transportation."

DOT has NOTHING to do with the federal government...

Last edited:
Going to war is a bi-partisan issue.

Our congress needs to pass bills to fund the war, and that takes a majority agreement - that means democrats voted to fund these wars...

The president can declare war all he wants but funding a war is a different animal...

One: sniperfire, in a fit of utter stupidity, thinks (that's rich!) that the dreaded "Leftists" "make every fucking issue a 'with us or against us' partisan deal". I was illustrating a similar argument made by the Moron Bush.

Two: the other point needing to be addressed is squarely atop your skull. Ever hear of the Department of Transportation? Do you realize they not only establish standards for interstate highway construction, but fund that construction through grants to the states?

Yes the department of transportation ARE state agencies, do you not understand that??

Home

See??

Could you perhaps post that in crayon for him, Nick?

Home

See??

Could you perhaps post that in crayon for him, Nick?

I suppose I could spell it out with sidewalk chalk or write it out with piss in the snow but he still would argue over common knowledge (I suppose not so common to progressives).

Americans are by far THE most mobile people in history. Most of us have the means get from one coast to the other in a matter hours or days using various combinations of public, commercial and/or private transportation and infrastructure built and owned by We, The People.

Government is an integral part of that transportation network, and failure to address our outdated and crumbling publicly owned infrastructure will result in America falling behind our competitors economically. While we prepare to spend $2 billion + electing our next president, China and our other competitors are busy building infrastructure designed to get and keep their people moving.

If we don't start taking our competition seriously soon, we'll loose this game. Well, our kids will be the losers, righteously cussing us for generations.

While I would argue it is really the airlines that allow Americans to get around this country (which need have NO government involvement), and all these roads and bridges could and should be state-level projects, let's accept your premise for the sake of argument. I would respond with this thought: Tell you what, get rid of all the clearly unconstitutional federal agencies and programs now and you'll have all the tax money you need for massive infrastructure projects. Deal?

Americans are by far THE most mobile people in history. Most of us have the means get from one coast to the other in a matter hours or days using various combinations of public, commercial and/or private transportation and infrastructure built and owned by We, The People.

Government is an integral part of that transportation network, and failure to address our outdated and crumbling publicly owned infrastructure will result in America falling behind our competitors economically. While we prepare to spend $2 billion + electing our next president, China and our other competitors are busy building infrastructure designed to get and keep their people moving.

If we don't start taking our competition seriously soon, we'll loose this game. Well, our kids will be the losers, righteously cussing us for generations.

While I would argue it is really the airlines that allow Americans to get around this country (which need have NO government involvement), and all these roads and bridges could and should be state-level projects, let's accept your premise for the sake of argument. I would respond with this thought: Tell you what, get rid of all the clearly unconstitutional federal agencies and programs now and you'll have all the tax money you need for massive infrastructure projects. Deal?
Let's do away with the system of air traffic control! Those planes have radios, don't they?

Home | U.S. Department of Transportation

There are other federal departments, if you are at all curious, but I doubt that curiousity is a way to describe your outlook.

And they don't do much on anything ...

I've never heard of a "federal road" unless its in a military compound or roads on federally owned land.

My state income taxes and property taxes (oh and tolls too) build roads NOT my federal taxes or the federal government.

This is COMMON KNOWLEDGE...

BTW learn how to spell "curiosity."

Last edited:

Let's do away with the system of air traffic control! Those planes have radios, don't they?

Oh now we're grasping at straws here.....

I cant believe you're using air traffic control here to justify raising taxes..

You progressives will do just about anything to raise taxes so the nanny state government can financially sustain you...

There are other federal departments, if you are at all curious, but I doubt that curiousity is a way to describe your outlook.

I've never heard of a "federal road" unless its in a military compound or roads on federally owned land.

My state income taxes and property taxes (oh and tolls too) build roads NOT my federal taxes or the federal government.

Learn your stuff before you appear any stupider. Every hear of the Interstate Highway system? Ever hear of Route 66? Ever hear of the US Cavalry protecting the Oregon Trail?

Your 'common knowledge' must be exclusively gleaned from Saturday morning cartoons and Glenn Beck.

Oh now we're grasping at straws here.....

I cant believe you're using air traffic control here to justify raising taxes..

You progressives will do just about anything to raise taxes so the nanny state government can financially sustain you...

Wrong yet again! You're amazingly consistent! I was pointing out another in a long series of Conservative idiocy. The federal government maintains a system of air traffic control in order to keep our sky's safe. eflat said airlines that allow Americans to get around this country (which need have NO government involvement). Now, whereas the federal government maintains the aforementioned system of air traffic control and whereas the airline rely on this system to safely and efficiently operate, eflat's statement is patently, clearly and irrefutably wrong.

Learn your stuff before you appear any stupider. Every hear of the Interstate Highway system? Ever hear of Route 66? Ever hear of the US Cavalry protecting the Oregon Trail?

Your 'common knowledge' must be exclusively gleaned from Saturday morning cartoons and Glenn Beck.

Are you this delusional - you're talking about shit that happened 100+ years ago..

Those roads that WERE paved 75-100 years ago are all maintained by the states now - NOT the federal government.... Not to mention every road that was built in Illinois (outside federal land, such as military bases and national parks) were built via the tax revenue of the residents of Illinois - and the same goes for every state.

The federal government has NOTHING to do with building roads or bridges on state owned land...

Do you even recognize the difference between state and federal?????

BTW, why the fuck do you thing routes change from time to time when they're essentially the same road??? Oh yeah because they were paved by the state - not the federal government...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_41

Here is a PERFECT example of my point.....

41 really isn't 41 but a series of roads built by states...

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity how would you propose paying for repairing our "crumbling" roads? :confused:

The tolls we pay.

What if every road were a toll road? I mean EVERY road. You pull out of your driveway and you're hit with a toll. Drive to the supermarket, pay a toll. drive across your state, pay a toll. Do you suppose that would boost or hinder economic activity?

We have enough tolls. We probably have too many. The money generated from the tolls is being misspent, on things like union pensions for example.

Are you this delusional - you're talking about shit that happened 100+ years ago..

Those roads that WERE paved 75-100 years ago are all maintained by the states now - NOT the federal government.... Not to mention every road that was built in Illinois (outside federal land, such as military bases and national parks) were built via the tax revenue of the residents of Illinois - and the same goes for every state.

The federal government has NOTHING to do with building roads or bridges on state owned land...

Do you even recognize the difference between state and federal?????

BTW, why the fuck do you thing routes change from time to time when they're essentially the same road??? Oh yeah because they were paved by the state - not the federal government...
http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/transportation/a_highway.html

You poor, ignorant soul.

Last edited:
The tolls we pay.

We have enough tolls. We probably have too many. The money generated from the tolls is being misspent, on things like union pensions for example.
You said that roads should be maintained by toll revenues. And those highway workers don't deserve a pension, do they? No one should have any retirement security because no where in the constitution does it say that anyone should. Is that the thrust of your argument? No pensions? How does that serve people well?

Air traffic control as well as airport security is the responsibility of those companies in the airline industry. They sure as hell will provide such services when the central planners step out of the way. This is the case is several other countries to varying extents. Just because government currently controls something, doesn't mean it must or that is should. And until someone can show me the enumerated power or amendment requiring federal oversight of airport traffic and security, not only is their involvement unconstitutional, it will, as is the case with all central planning, produce crap results at exorbitant cost. Nice.

The federal government maintains a system of air traffic control in order to keep our sky's safe.

Yea, the feds also used to tell us they were needed prior to airline deregulation...yet afterwards, we saw massive price drops, an explosion of choice and improved results. But I'm sure we just couldn't get along with privately controlled traffic controllers and airport security. That's just UNTHINKABLE!!!

Central planning sheeple just can't look beyond the status quo into which they were born. So sad.

Air traffic control as well as airport security is the responsibility of those companies in the airline industry. They sure as hell will provide such services when the central planners step out of the way. This is the case is several other countries to varying extents. Just because government currently controls something, doesn't mean it must or that is should. And until someone can show me the enumerated power or amendment requiring federal oversight of airport traffic and security, not only is their involvement unconstitutional, it will, as is the case with all central planning, produce crap results at exorbitant cost. Nice.
So even though the system of air traffic control works well, it should be scraped? I suppose you believe that we would be better served if the FCC stopped regulating communications too. Maybe that nuclear power industry is over regulated and we should turn that responsibility over to the operators of nuclear power plants. We could use more freedom in our food safety regimen. Perhaps we don't need inspectors at food processing plants because the industry can be responsible for that and we can test our human resistance to salmonella and e coli.

Forum List

Back