Mitt Romney Opposes the Tax Cut Bill

NYcarbineer

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
Mitt Romney Opposes Tax Deal as Republicans Pick Sides - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Excerpt:

"Given the unambiguous message that the American people sent to Washington in November, it is difficult to understand how our political leaders could have reached such a disappointing agreement," Romney writes. "Of course, delay now is better than an immediate tax hike. But because the extension is only temporary, a large portion of the investment and job growth that characteristically accompanies low taxes will be lost."

Romney also criticized the cost of the deal, which is estimated at nearly $900 billion over two years. The package is not paid for. "What some are calling a grand compromise is not grand at all, except in its price tag," he wrote.

Very savvy political positioning. Oppose Stimulus II, then run against the 'Obama deficit' in 2012.

Quite honestly, I am not certain i support it either. I like the idea of my taxes not going up. But $300 Billion in spending for programs we dont need? Is it worth it?

Especially with this clear deception that people seem to think taxes are getting cut. They arent. We keep the taxes the same and then spend more money? What exactly are we getting in this deal?

hes trying to establish a fiscal policy for his campaign in 2012. he will probably start to publicly oppose everything Obama and dems do from now until the campaign starts. This way he can he argue that he would have done everything different.

It may be that. Then again it may ring true to wanting to live within our means. We seem to be spending Trillions like the supply is endless. Who exactly is being shored up? The poor are not invested in these bailouts.

Especially with this clear deception that people seem to think taxes are getting cut. They arent. We keep the taxes the same

The income tax rates stay the same, but the payroll tax would be reduced by 2 percentage points for a year.

I have been cheer leading Romney for a long time. The far right of the party should hold its collective nose and support him. He is the one guy we got who can run solidly against the Obama regardless of the political setting.

Romney is probably the right guy at the right time. He's somewhat Conservative and has real-life experience in running businesses and creating jobs. While he's not Conservative enough for me,he will still get my vote if he's the nominee.

Romney is probably the right guy at the right time. He's somewhat Conservative and has real-life experience in running businesses and creating jobs. While he's not Conservative enough for me,he will still get my vote if he's the nominee.

but will you vote for him in the primaries? That is where I think he will lose.

Quite honestly, I am not certain i support it either. I like the idea of my taxes not going up. But $300 Billion in spending for programs we dont need? Is it worth it?

Especially with this clear deception that people seem to think taxes are getting cut. They arent. We keep the taxes the same and then spend more money? What exactly are we getting in this deal?

this might be the first thing we agree on. the cost of extending the cuts is astronomical, as well as some of the other "pork" that has been thrown in to appease a few people is crap.

i liked the proposal the dems put up about raising taxes on those making over $1M per year, and making the cuts for everyone below.

Yea that is a problem for him. He's just not Conservative enough for many. We'll have to wait and see who runs against him.

Yea that is a problem for him. He's just not Conservative enough for many. We'll have to wait and see who runs against him.

as a left leaner, i think that there are things about Romney that are good in a potential candidate. the major problem will be that for the far right, he is not conservative enough, for the far left, he is too conservative, and those in the middle will most likely be split pretty evenly.

this is what happens when the extremes hijack politics.

Especially with this clear deception that people seem to think taxes are getting cut. They arent. We keep the taxes the same

The income tax rates stay the same, but the payroll tax would be reduced by 2 percentage points for a year.

Not sure that's a very good deal. And I was talking about the income taxes. the Payroll tax holiday is nice, but 2%? really? Do we think just alittle less for one year is going to matter much?

this might be the first thing we agree on. the cost of extending the cuts is astronomical, as well as some of the other "pork" that has been thrown in to appease a few people is crap.

i liked the proposal the dems put up about raising taxes on those making over $1M per year, and making the cuts for everyone below.

Doesnt cost anything to extend tax cuts. It's not the governments money to begin with.

It's the spending on top of it that's a problem.

We need to cut taxes and cut spending. And then fix our individual lives. That is what will jumpstart the economy

This tax us into the ground and then spend us into inflation and high interest rates is just suicide.

Mitten...what a doofus. He changes his mind every day.

Romneycare will be the only nail needed in his coffin by the rightwingloons.

Forum List

Back