Mitt Romney Opposes the Tax Cut Bill

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NYcarbineer, Dec 14, 2010.

1. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,074
    Mitt Romney Opposes Tax Deal as Republicans Pick Sides - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Excerpt:

"Given the unambiguous message that the American people sent to Washington in November, it is difficult to understand how our political leaders could have reached such a disappointing agreement," Romney writes. "Of course, delay now is better than an immediate tax hike. But because the extension is only temporary, a large portion of the investment and job growth that characteristically accompanies low taxes will be lost."

Romney also criticized the cost of the deal, which is estimated at nearly $900 billion over two years. The package is not paid for. "What some are calling a grand compromise is not grand at all, except in its price tag," he wrote.

Very savvy political positioning. Oppose Stimulus II, then run against the 'Obama deficit' in 2012.

2. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    Romney's right on this one. Kudos to him.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,148
    Quite honestly, I am not certain i support it either. I like the idea of my taxes not going up. But $300 Billion in spending for programs we dont need? Is it worth it?

Especially with this clear deception that people seem to think taxes are getting cut. They arent. We keep the taxes the same and then spend more money? What exactly are we getting in this deal?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Common Sense

Common Sense BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    hes trying to establish a fiscal policy for his campaign in 2012. he will probably start to publicly oppose everything Obama and dems do from now until the campaign starts. This way he can he argue that he would have done everything different.

5. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    Romney 2012.

6. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    It may be that. Then again it may ring true to wanting to live within our means. We seem to be spending Trillions like the supply is endless. Who exactly is being shored up? The poor are not invested in these bailouts.

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,430
    The income tax rates stay the same, but the payroll tax would be reduced by 2 percentage points for a year.

8. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,233
    I have been cheer leading Romney for a long time. The far right of the party should hold its collective nose and support him. He is the one guy we got who can run solidly against the Obama regardless of the political setting.

9. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    Romney is probably the right guy at the right time. He's somewhat Conservative and has real-life experience in running businesses and creating jobs. While he's not Conservative enough for me,he will still get my vote if he's the nominee.

10. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    but will you vote for him in the primaries? That is where I think he will lose.