Mitt Romney and the draft.

Does the Mormon religion require followers to perform missionary work?
Requires, I gather, is a very strong way of describing a very strong cultural influence that all young males serve their church for two years. MR was completely within his culture.

As I suspected, the supposed dodging of the draft never occurred.

Romney received a school deferment because, GASP, he was in college. He then received a deferment because he spent 30 months in France as a Missionary. Neither event being exceptional or dodging anything. Upon his return he went to College again but was in the draft for 69, his high number meant he did not get picked.

Lets contrast that with Clinton shall we?

Clinton got an ROTC Col. to write him a deferment letter with the promise he would join the ROTC program. He not only did not join after getting the letter he fled the Country to England to purposefully avoid the draft, which he admitted in the letter to the Col.

Remind us again which of the two actually took steps to AVOID the draft?

I agree that this is not an issue, and certainly isn't with the great majority of centrists and independents.

It most certainly is an issue.

The guy hasn't sat his ass down in the oval office and he's already rattling sabres against Russia and Iran.

Much like George W. Bush did with Iraq. Look how that turned out.

Only with you, sallow, and few fellow Obamanians. The great majority of American simply don't care now that he has apologized. Doesn't matter.

Only with you, sallow, and few fellow Obamanians. The great majority of American simply don't care now that he has apologized. Doesn't matter.

Well..no..

This sort of stuff has a tendency to snowball. Right now the story isn't so well known. But it will be.

Romney received a school deferment because, GASP, he was in college. He then received a deferment because he spent 30 months in France as a Missionary. Neither event being exceptional or dodging anything. Upon his return he went to College again but was in the draft for 69, his high number meant he did not get picked.

Clinton got an ROTC Col. to write him a deferment letter with the promise he would join the ROTC program. He not only did not join after getting the letter he fled the Country to England to purposefully avoid the draft, which he admitted in the letter to the Col.

Clinton also opposed the war.

Romney supported it.

He was all for the war as long as poor and working people were doing the fighting.

Well..no..

This sort of stuff has a tendency to snowball. Right now the story isn't so well known. But it will be.

Actually, . . . yes. The snowball melted.

Actually..no it hasn't. It hasn't even started. And in the broader context this speaks much more about the "character" of Romney when played against his life and what he says.

Romney is all about Romney..that's it. He's said such wonderous things like, "If you need the job..then maybe you shouldn't run for President." Meaning of course that he believes that only the priviledged should hold power. And they shouldn't have to dirty their hands with awful things like manual labor or fighting wars. Romney's part of the "old boy" style of thinking..where "masters of the universe" should be the decision makers.

He not running for President because he gives a shit about this country. He's running because he's bored..and needs something to do. President is also a nice trophy.

Yawn. Talk to someone who doesn't know that it has already melted. They will check, see the puddle, and move on.

Neither man dodged of course; in fact Clinton gave up an EARNED deferment when he protested the war. Romney put his FAITH first, nothing bad about that.

Neither man dodged of course; in fact Clinton gave up an EARNED deferment when he protested the war. Romney put his FAITH first, nothing bad about that.

He didn't put his FAITH first when he protested in favor of the war..

Sure..lets.

Clinton was against the Vietnam war..protested against it..but eventually registered.

Romney was FOR the Vietnam war..protested in favor of it...then went to France.

It's very simple.

romney was registered.

you couldn't get a deferment without being registered

duh

you're very simple.

Sure..lets.

Clinton was against the Vietnam war..protested against it..but eventually registered.

It's very simple.

romney was registered.

duh

you're very simple.

He was never going to go.

That's the bottom line.

Sure..lets.

It's very simple.

romney was registered.

duh

you're very simple.

He was never going to go.

That's the bottom line.

he got a high number so he didn't go.

lots of people got high numbers and didn't go- like me.

So knocking on peoples door's and pestering the hell out of them with Mormon mumbo-jumbo.

Was more honorable than serving our country in a time of war?? :doubt:

You expect that your religious beliefs should be honored and respected while you shit on everyone else's, figures you hypocrite.

That's not "hypocritical".

The fact of having "religious beliefs" means that you think all the other religions have it WRONG.
Hardly. It means you were raised in a certain way by a parent or parents whose ancestors may have hundreds of years into a belief system and were inspired to help others by doing good deeds for lifetimes on end.

And it may mean you are a believer in something that has a positive outcome on human freedom and human rights. :)

You expect that your religious beliefs should be honored and respected while you shit on everyone else's, figures you hypocrite.

The fact of having "religious beliefs" means that you think all the other religions have it WRONG.
Hardly. It means you were raised in a certain way by a parent or parents whose ancestors may have hundreds of years into a belief system and were inspired to help others by doing good deeds for lifetimes on end.

And it may mean you are a believer in something that has a positive outcome on human freedom and human rights. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shit-talk religion. I don't have anything against religion, and I agree that overall, religion has a net positive effect on society.

But believing in one religion does mean that you don't believe in the others...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shit-talk religion. I don't have anything against religion, and I agree that overall, religion has a net positive effect on society.

But believing in one religion does mean that you don't believe in the others...
Actually the Islamic religion believes that the Torah and the Bible are works of Allah it is individual Muslims that disgrace the religion by being ignorant.

ANOTHER chickenhawk spoiled rich twit W clone....unbelievable, Pubtools...and GASP! speaks French LOL

Frankie stay out of this.....you called our troops over there thugs...and dont give me that shit you did not.....you changed your tune the next day and said you were talking about Ky and company after i got on your slimy ass......you said "OUR GUYS"......them guys (Ky and co.) are not "our guys".....you Dem Dupe....

He didn't put his FAITH first when he protested in favor of the war..

He served a mission for his church, sallow, perfectly acceptable. You don't like it, who cares?

Forum List

Back