Mission...? Accomplished...?

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
In the four years since Bush stood on the flight deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln and declared, "Mission accomplished...", one can only wonder at just what the mission was.

If the mission was to remove the threat of Saddam Hussein's WMD's, that mission was accomplished before the first bomb was dropped. Turned out that there weren't any WMD's to begin with. So why did Bush invade Iraq?

If the mission was to topple Saddam Hussein, our troops did a great job, and Saddam has since been captured, tried in a drum-head court and messily executed. So why are our troops still there?

If the mission was to establish a democratically elected government, well gosh, that's been accomplished, Bush said so in the summer of '06. So why are our troops still there?

The mission is no longer defined in any terms other than some ill defined "progress". Never enough to justify bring our troops home, and just enough to justify keeping them on the ground in Iraq. This half-baked Orwellian gig continues to drag on.

In vetoing the emergency supplemental because he refused to accept a time line for withdrawing US troops from Iraq, Bush has basically stated that our troops will never leave Iraq as long as he is president. He and Toto are about the only ones who think a military victory is still possible in Iraq. And with the dogged intransigence of the dry-drunk he is, he refuses to let reality intrude upon his fantasy. As a result, our troops will continue to die in order to salve his ego. They will continue to be maimed and crippled in order to buffer him from reality. How many more must be killed and crippled just to salve this man we call "Mr. President", this sniveling little mediocrity's shrunken, twisted and deformed ego?

In the four years since Bush stood on the flight deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln and declared, "Mission accomplished...", one can only wonder at just what the mission was.

If the mission was to remove the threat of Saddam Hussein's WMD's, that mission was accomplished before the first bomb was dropped. Turned out that there weren't any WMD's to begin with. So why did Bush invade Iraq?

If the mission was to topple Saddam Hussein, our troops did a great job, and Saddam has since been captured, tried in a drum-head court and messily executed. So why are our troops still there?

If the mission was to establish a democratically elected government, well gosh, that's been accomplished, Bush said so in the summer of '06. So why are our troops still there?

The mission is no longer defined in any terms other than some ill defined "progress". Never enough to justify bring our troops home, and just enough to justify keeping them on the ground in Iraq. This half-baked Orwellian gig continues to drag on.

In vetoing the emergency supplemental because he refused to accept a time line for withdrawing US troops from Iraq, Bush has basically stated that our troops will never leave Iraq as long as he is president. He and Toto are about the only ones who think a military victory is still possible in Iraq. And with the dogged intransigence of the dry-drunk he is, he refuses to let reality intrude upon his fantasy. As a result, our troops will continue to die in order to salve his ego. They will continue to be maimed and crippled in order to buffer him from reality. How many more must be killed and crippled just to salve this man we call "Mr. President", this sniveling little mediocrity's shrunken, twisted and deformed ego?

If I was Bush, I wouldn't let Democrats dictate my actions by tying riders onto funding bills. That's BS.

Maybe he should re-invent the line-item veto? The one that worked so well for Clinton and THEN was declared unconstitutional after he was done with it?

Face it bully, no one is going to buy your theory so long as the Dem's agenda in regard to the funding bill is so transparent.

If I was Bush, I wouldn't let Democrats dictate my actions by tying riders onto finding bills. That's BS.

Maybe he should re-invent the line-item veto? The one that worked so well for Clinton and THEN was decalred unconstitutional after he was done with it?

Face it bully, no one is going to buy your theory so long as the Dem's agenda in regard to the funding bill is so transparent.

The line item veto is something the Republican congress should have addressed, to make it constitutional, but they didn't. Shame on them.

And meanwhile Mr No Timeline aka Bush back in 1999 was Mr Flip

http://thinkprogress.org/bush-in-1999/

June 5, 1999
Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Clinton War Policies Draw Barrage of GOP Criticism
Thomas Hargrove, Scripps Howard News Service

“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is,” Bush said.

“I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn.

The above is a Bush quote when he was a runner up to the 2000 election. Now Mr Flip has become Mr. Flop.

Hey Floppy why don't you practice what you preach.

The line item veto is something the Republican congress should have addressed, to make it constitutional, but they didn't. Shame on them.

I was actually only half-serious. I'd rather Bush do without to keep the next Dem from getting it.

What I'd REALLY like to see is a law enacted that makes all proposed legislation stand alone. Let's put these riders and "pork" bills under the daylight where EVERYONE can see them instead of hiding them in more important issues.

And meanwhile Mr No Timeline aka Bush back in 1999 was Mr Flip

The above is a Bush quote when he was a runner up to the 2000 election. Now Mr Flip has become Mr. Flop.

Hey Floppy why don't you practice what you preach.

You don't know that he doesn't have a timeline. The fact he has not disclosed one, or has not made Dems privvy to one is just good common sense to me.

You don't know that he doesn't have a timeline. The fact he has not disclosed one, or has not made Dems privvy to one is just good common sense to me.

Oh is that it he's got a secret he won't tell and I'll bet you one of his secrets is that Injun Joe is ticklish.

And did you notice this line from Mr Flop look at the bold:

“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is,” Bush said.

So when is Mr Flop going to do some explaining it's really important at least according to him it was?

Oh is that it he's got a secret he won't tell and I'll bet you one of his secrets is that Injun Joe is ticklish.

I don't know that he does nor doesn't. Point is YOU are the one saying he doesn't when you don't know either.

From a purely tactical standpoint, announcing the day you intend to leave the field to your opponent is just about as stupid as anyone can get, and I think the Dems are stupid for trying to do it.

I don't know that he does nor doesn't. Point is YOU are the one saying he doesn't when you don't know either.

From a purely tactical standpoint, announcing the day you intend to leave the field to your opponent is just about as stupid as anyone can get, and I think the Dems are stupid for trying to do it.

It's been all over the news that Bush will not accept a timeline all you have to do is Google and you come up with a lot of links stating that he is against a timeline.

Gunny I don't think your post trying bale Bush out of his flip flop will work it's a fact he said this in 1999

“I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn.

And it's a fact that he is not living up to the words he spoke back in 1999.

I cant believe this has not been addresses on this site by now, But the "Mission Accopmplished" banner hanging on the ship was refering to that paticular ships mission for the initial attack... NOT THE WAR!.
The Liberal press and youself (unknowingly I'm sure) have since taken it out of context to the point where it is now hurting our troops and inspiring the insurgents... Who's side are they (Our Press) on?

No WMD's?????

I happen to be personnal friends with a Russian Doctor living in the states that insists he was on a submarine that docked in Syria and was loaded with WMD's removed from Iraq just before the invaision. Some of the crew were infected from mishandling ... That is how he was made aware of the cargo... He has nothing to gain by lying...

Food for thought anyway.

It's been all over the news that Bush will not accept a timeline all you have to do is Google and you come up with a lot of links stating that he is against a timeline.

Gunny I don't think your post trying bale Bush out of his flip flop will work it's a fact he said this in 1999

And it's a fact that he is not living up to the words he spoke back in 1999.

It's all over the news Bush will not accept a timeline forced on him by Congressional Democrats.

I think my post disproves your allegation unless you can post positive proof that Bush does not have a timeline -- not that he won't let one be forced on him -- that he himself doesn't have one.

You don't know. End of story.

You cant tell your enemy your exit strategy.

Definition..

strat·e·gy –noun, plural -gies. 1. Also, strategics. the science or art of combining and employing the means of war in planning and directing large military movements and operations.

Gee whiz The situation are not remotely same.

When Bush made these statements the war in Kosovo WAS OVER! And Bill clinton still had no plan to get our troops out... He was having sex with interns while letting the U.N. direct his troops... There is no comparisom...

can you link me up to the quote in his speech where he says mission accomplished?.....also i seem to recall he refered to tough fighting ahead...got a link to that?.....wars are composed of many missions.....

veto, and the Republican Congress said no.

The "pork" attached to the Democrats' bill is the price of the horse-trading required to bring the most extreme anti-war Democrats into line. Otherwise, they would have refused to support the bill that was vetoed today as not requiring withdrawal fast enough.

Bully's right on target: Bush has been extremely unclear about what victory is, and has lowered his standards step by step.

Initially, it was establishing a peaceful, democratic Iraq free of WMD's, a place that would welcome our military bases and would provide us cheap oil (and pay for its own liberation via oil revenues). How wrong he was. I'm not sure any U.S. President has ever been more painfully wrong about anything.

Mariner.

It's all over the news Bush will not accept a timeline forced on him by Congressional Democrats.

I think my post disproves your allegation unless you can post positive proof that Bush does not have a timeline -- not that he won't let one be forced on him -- that he himself doesn't have one.

You don't know. End of story.

Despite this, the Democrats still decided to play games with the troops lives and send a bill with a time table to him.

Any death that occurs to the troops because they were delayed the equipment is on their head.

If I was Bush, I wouldn't let Democrats dictate my actions by tying riders onto funding bills. That's BS.

Maybe he should re-invent the line-item veto? The one that worked so well for Clinton and THEN was declared unconstitutional after he was done with it?

And just what might that Agenda be? Extricating our troops from the midst of a civil war which this administration, through its own arrogance, inserted them into seems a worthy endeavor to me.

After all, in 1999, when Chimpy was running for the Presidency, he did cite the importance of time lines for withdrawal with regards to Kosovo...

<blockquote>“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is.” - George W. Bush, 4/9/99</blockquote>

And,

<blockquote>“I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn.” - George W. Bush, 6/5/99</blockquote>

He has presented no exit strategy, much less any other strategy for Iraq, nor has he stated just how long our troops will continue to die in Iraq. He has left US involvement in Iraq a completely open ended commitment, unwilling to even consider simple benchmarks for the Iraqi government to reach for continued US involvement. His ego won't allow it. How many more must die as a salve to Bush's ego? HOW MANY?

I cant believe this has not been addresses on this site by now, But the "Mission Accopmplished" banner hanging on the ship was refering to that paticular ships mission for the initial attack... NOT THE WAR!.
The Liberal press and youself (unknowingly I'm sure) have since taken it out of context to the point where it is now hurting our troops and inspiring the insurgents... Who's side are they (Our Press) on?

No WMD's?????

I happen to be personnal friends with a Russian Doctor living in the states that insists he was on a submarine that docked in Syria and was loaded with WMD's removed from Iraq just before the invaision. Some of the crew were infected from mishandling ... That is how he was made aware of the cargo... He has nothing to gain by lying...

Food for thought anyway.

Been drinking the kool-aid, haven't you. That was pretty much what Dana Perrino, substitute White House spokes-liar had to say on the matter. Bush clearly stated that "Major military operations" in Iraq were over, done, finished. Four years later , we are still there, conducting major military operations.

As for you WMD claims, care to provide some verifiable documentation to back them up? Didn't think so.

Despite this, the Democrats still decided to play games with the troops lives and send a bill with a time table to him.

Any death that occurs to the troops because they were delayed the equipment is on their head.

No......

Any death that "occurs" to the troops is on the head of George Bush because he sent them off to fight a war that can't be won and shouldn't have been started in the first place.

Why is it so easy for Cons to substitute a short memory for a clean conscience?

According to you Bush wants to keep the timeline a secret because he doesn't want the enemy to know.

Enemy: Boy that Bush sure suprised us when he announced a withdraw. Looks like we'll all just have to go home. Didn't see this withdraw coming. Took us by suprise I tell ya; now what do we do?.

Forum List

Back