Minimum Wage $25 Per Hour Soon

And El Salvadore's minimum wage is US $192 per month. which probably has more relevance in the USA than does Switzerlands.

A quick Google images shows the curtains and the drapes don't match. Prolly a misplaced Jew with a quick name change.

I can assure you that isn't true - except for the curtains and drapes not matching. I have a few hundred great pictures of her. She's 5'10" and speaks four languages. Hot lady...

Most residents in Switzerland speak four languages. Swiss is a dialect of German, but it is different enough to be considered it's own language. If you live in the German speaking part of Switzerland, then you speak Swiss in everyday life. However, in school you speak high German, or proper German. French is also a required language because it is the second most spoken language in Switzerland. So almost everyone speaks the basic three, then it's just a matter of learning English which most do because it is necessary for business. My mother speaks all four of these languages fluently.

A quick Google images shows the curtains and the drapes don't match. Prolly a misplaced Jew with a quick name change.

Can't go a day without some Jew reference huh? You and Lakhota are two peas in a Jew-hating pod.

Trade unions in Switzerland claim they have collected enough signatures to force a referendum on a proposal to introduce a minimum wage of 22 Swiss francs ($25) an hour.

That is about twice the minimum wage of 9 euros ($12.40) in neighboring France.

A spokesman for the Swiss Federation of Trade Unions, or SGB, says more than 121,000 people have so far signed the request for a vote.

Link: finance.yahoo.com/news/Swiss-unions-push-referendum-apf-2709741278.html?x=0&.v=1

Cost of Living

The cost of living in Switzerland is among the highest in the world, with the cities of Zurich and Geneva ranked second and third most expensive, respectively.

Swiss bank UBS releases a Prices and Earnings study every three years with some updates in between. Oslo, Norway, currently tops the list of the most expensive place to live.

The 2009 report found that a worker in Zurich would have to log nine hours on the job to afford an iPod Nano, the same as a worker in New York. The study also found that residents in Geneva and Zurich pay around 20 per cent more on average for products, services and accommodations than people in other Western European cities. Food is particularly expensive, with prices in Switzerland around 45 per cent more than the western European average.

The Economist uses a “gratifyingly simple” way of calculating purchasing-power parity by using the price of a Big Mac. According to the 2010 Big Mac Index, the Swiss must pay $6.78 for the same burger that would cost $3.71 in the United States.

The Federal Statistics Office produces a “Panorama” report that tracks the consumer price index. It shows that food, housing and utilities are all well above the European Union average. Telecommunications, personal transport and alcohol cost less than the EU average.

The cost of living in Switzerland is among the highest in the world, with Geneva and Zurich near the top of the list. - swissinfo

It won't effect Americans at all.
Sweden has high pay and 50% income taxes. They live better and are more secure than Americans.

They have a remarkably high suicide rate considering they 'live better' than us.

I love the argument that surrendering 50%of your pay is a good thing... especially when the 47 per centers make that argument.

I think it's sad that Americans constantly compare us to other countries. We were not founded to be like other countries. The glory of American is its uniqueness. I am always saddened when some Americans look enviously at other countries. Interestingly, those countries look enviously at us. Why? Because we are free and they are not. They appreciate our freedom and we, apparently, would like to give it up in order to be 'taken care of.

Clue for ya, my lefty friends.... more people apply to come into American than any other nation on earth. Why is that? Not for the free ride.

Listen up, everybody. Franco is going to explain how a rise in the cost of labor does not cause a corresponding rise in the cost of goods and services.

Wouldn't trust Franco to do it coherently, so I will.

The idea that a rise in the cost of labor causes a "corresponding" (i.e., equal in value) rise in the cost of goods and services is based on the fallacy that businesses charge customers what they MUST. This is the flip side of the idea that businesses pay workers what they CAN.

In fact, it's the other way around; businesses pay workers (and suppliers) what they must, and charge customers what they can, i.e. what customers will pay. Pricing is not done on a cost-plus basis, or not in very many businesses. Generally, it's done by crossing two graph lines, one that shows rising revenue per sale with rising prices, and the other that shows declining sales volume with rising prices. Where these two lines cross is the optimum price point. Only if cost of production (including labor) is high enough that the optimum price point is actually unprofitable, i.e. results in a loss per sale, will increased labor costs force a price increase.

There is a way that increased pay can cause price increases, but it has nothing to do with the cost of production; rather, increased wages = increased consumer demand, which can, at least temporarily, result in higher prices as a simple supply-demand function. Generally, though, production is expanded to meet the increased demand, so that the price increase is only temporary.

If we look at the sharp increases in pay in the late 1940s and 1950s after World War II ended, we do not see corresponding increases in prices to match that. Nor is there any reason to expect a corresponding price hike from the Swiss minimum wage law.

Actually, I'm going to explain how this has absolutely no chance of passing in a referendum, and is a BS Pub Propaganda story.

Also, if we reported HALF our suicides, our rate would be twice as high as Sweden's.You dupes live in a dream world.

Swiss roads and infrastucture, like the rest of the EU, are so much better than ours the cars exported to the USA have to have their suspensions recalibrated (yearly damage to cars here is over $1000)....Voodoo is a disaster for the nonrich AND our infrastructure...

Sweden has high pay and 50% income taxes. They live better and are more secure than Americans.

They have a remarkably high suicide rate considering they 'live better' than us.

1) No, it's not remarkably high. The suicide rate in Switzerland is about 15 out of every 100,000 people. By contrast, the rate in the US is about 11.5 out of every 100,000 people. So the Swiss have a slightly higher rate than us. That's not remarkably high. The Swiss do have a high rate of suicide by gun in comparison to the rest of Europe. But, all of this is attributable to several additional factors. The Swiss have some of the easiest access to guns in all of Europe. So it's only natural that they'll have higher rates of suicide by gun, while other European countries have higher rates of other means. Also, Switzerland has legal assisted suicide for a variety of things. So every cancer patient who decides to end their life for medical reasons becomes a part of the official suicide rate. There is also the "suicide tourism" that has emerged from Switzerland's right-to-die-friendly laws, which artificially contribute to their suicide rate. And finally, the overall population in Switzerland is much less than the US population, which tends to artificially create an slightly higher rates. All these things taken into consideration, it's probably safe to expect a REAL reflection of suicide in Switzerland would show they are less likely to commit suicide than we are.

2) Suicide is almost always a matter of mental health. It has nothing to do with "living well." People who have "great" lives can suffer from clinical depression or other major mental illnesses, which can drive them to attempt suicide. Even if we were simply take Switzerland's suicide rate on face value, and ignore the full consideration of all the circumstances, a higher suicide rate in Switzerland would be entirely useless in determining how "well" the Swiss live. It would, at best, imply their mental health services are less effective than our own.

1) No, it's not remarkably high. The suicide rate in Switzerland is about 15 out of every 100,000 people. By contrast, the rate in the US is about 11.5 out of every 100,000 people. So the Swiss have a slightly higher rate than us. That's not remarkably high. The Swiss do have a high rate of suicide by gun in comparison to the rest of Europe. But, all of this is attributable to several additional factors. The Swiss have some of the easiest access to guns in all of Europe. So it's only natural that they'll have higher rates of suicide by gun, while other European countries have higher rates of other means. Also, Switzerland has legal assisted suicide for a variety of things. So every cancer patient who decides to end their life for medical reasons becomes a part of the official suicide rate. There is also the "suicide tourism" that has emerged from Switzerland's right-to-die-friendly laws, which artificially contribute to their suicide rate. And finally, the overall population in Switzerland is much less than the US population, which tends to artificially create an slightly higher rates. All these things taken into consideration, it's probably safe to expect a REAL reflection of suicide in Switzerland would show they are less likely to commit suicide than we are.

2) Suicide is almost always a matter of mental health. It has nothing to do with "living well." People who have "great" lives can suffer from clinical depression or other major mental illnesses, which can drive them to attempt suicide. Even if we were simply take Switzerland's suicide rate on face value, and ignore the full consideration of all the circumstances, a higher suicide rate in Switzerland would be entirely useless in determining how "well" the Swiss live. It would, at best, imply their mental health services are less effective than our own.

I didn't say it was 'remarkably high'. Read, comprehend, comment.

I said it was remarkably high considering they 'live better'. If they live better, one would expect them to have a lower suicide rate than us. Logic. They don't. They have a higher rate. Got that? Good.

Interestingly, those countries look enviously at us. Why? Because we are free and they are not.

And I am disgusted when Americans say shit like this. We are not the only free country in the world. We're not even the most free country in the world. It's true, one would be hard pressed to find a country more free than the US. But there are some countries were the people do feel they are more free than we are. And there are a great many countries that are equally as free as us. This elitist attitude by so many Americans is disturbing and contemptible, and reflects the fact that as great of a country as we are, we are still but children along side many of the other societies of the world.

Victoria+Silvstedt.jpg
[/IMG]

Victoria Silvstedt: My favorite Swiss beauty - beauty and brains.

Oh, fine. But can she cook?

I love the argument that surrendering 50%of your pay is a good thing... especially when the 47 per centers make that argument.

I think it's sad that Americans constantly compare us to other countries. We were not founded to be like other countries. The glory of American is its uniqueness. I am always saddened when some Americans look enviously at other countries. Interestingly, those countries look enviously at us. Why? Because we are free and they are not. They appreciate our freedom and we, apparently, would like to give it up in order to be 'taken care of.

Clue for ya, my lefty friends.... more people apply to come into American than any other nation on earth. Why is that? Not for the free ride.

Could be because we're at least 4 times as big as any EU country, and it's a lot easier here (the only real way for an American to move tothe EU is to marry one- I asked at least 300 to marryme in Spain lol- read the book- even then you're second class).
I think we should make it more difficult. Damn glad to live upstate- same population as 1950. You can have the strip malls and Mexicans lol. Pass the Schumer Bill and stop the influx with a good computer chip work/SS ID card. Elitist Pubs are just playing with you morons.

California Girl said:
Clue for ya, my lefty friends.... more people apply to come into American than any other nation on earth. Why is that?

Because we have a long border with a poor country and a laxly-enforced immigration policy.

Trade unions in Switzerland claim they have collected enough signatures to force a referendum on a proposal to introduce a minimum wage of 22 Swiss francs ($25) an hour.

That is about twice the minimum wage of 9 euros ($12.40) in neighboring France.

A spokesman for the Swiss Federation of Trade Unions, or SGB, says more than 121,000 people have so far signed the request for a vote.

Link: finance.yahoo.com/news/Swiss-unions-push-referendum-apf-2709741278.html?x=0&.v=1
Ah yes, the foolishness and pie-eyed idealism of those who do not understand economic realities. To say it's a stupid idea is to belabor the obvious.

Let me ask this to the ideologues who think it a good idea to just 'set' minimum wages at a 'living wage' arbitrarily:

What if the jobs are not WORTH the living wage? What then? Do those businesses go out of business? Apply for government subsidies requiring increased taxation to cover and therefore make it more expensive to stay in business? What?

You willing to pay the kid that shovels your driveway in the winter $25? How about the kid behind the counter at your local Dairy Queen? Is that counter jockey worth it? How quickly will this take an effect on your ability to buy a Whopper or Big Mac when you need to increase your income to cover a quadrupling or quintupling of your biggest line item expenditure: Payroll?

You morons ever consider that?

Oh... and then with the rapidly spiking prices... which quickly make the new "living wage" into a poor wage... what are you going to do then? Raise it more?

:rolleyes:

Two quotes
"Stubborn consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result."

Forum List

Back