It has been 10 years and the federal minimum wage is still $7.25 per hour. Meanwhile, members of Congress make $174,000 per year.

yes and the federal govt has the FDA and USDA regulating the ham industry. There are also federal regulations on re the logging industry

not sure how it’s a a stretch…please explain
lol!

How about we agree that the fact the it's done, and the question of whether it's a stretch are two different subjects.

At the same time I can see a side to your argument that it makes sense. It's the fact that Congress regulates interstate commerce means that they must also coordinate it. In so doing establishing a uniformity in the markets would be in fact regulating.

Is that what you're thinking?

lol!

How about we agree that the fact the it's done, and the question of whether it's a stretch are two different subjects.

At the same time I can see a side to your argument that it makes sense. It's the fact that Congress regulates interstate commerce means that they must also coordinate it. In so doing establishing a uniformity in the markets would be in fact regulating.

Is that what you're thinking?
well that’s correct yes regulating commerce involves coordination

well that’s correct yes regulating commerce involves coordination
Where I diverge is with the fact that in an effort to regulate interstate commerce, congress has taken upon itself to regulate intrastate commerce --that is, instead of just regulating commerce between states it now regulates commerce within a state.

That raises two questions. One: is it important, and the other is what are we going to do about it.

I have been [falsely] accused of posting nothing but threads regarding race relations so maybe this will help dispel that perception :rolleyes:. Social justice is not my only interest but I've always had strong feelings about this particular topic due to the disparity between the lowest paying rungs in society versus what Congressional members earn for oftentimes acting against their constituents' best interests.

Our federal minimum wage is ridiculous and while I understand that different states have different cost of living indexes, I can't even wrap my mind around how this wage helps anyone. When people are paid less when they work than when they stay home no one in their right mind could blame them for choosing the latter.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s historical data, the federal minimum wage in 2012 was $7.25 per hour. In 2022, the federal minimum wage has not changed. $7.25 per hour isn’t enough to buy a meal at many fast-food restaurants. $7.25 per hour. That’s $58 for an 8-hour day, $290 per week, or $1,300 monthly. At minimum wage, an individual earns about $15,000 a year before taxes. Members of Congress and the Senate make $174,000 per year.
AMEN.

Where I diverge is with the fact that in an effort to regulate interstate commerce, congress has taken upon itself to regulate intrastate commerce --that is, instead of just regulating commerce between states it now regulates commerce within a state.

That raises two questions. One: is it important, and the other is what are we going to do about it.
States have their own min wages, and they are all different.

but it's true interstate commerece can impact intrastate commerce.

I however can't think of anything off hand that is purely intrastate in today's economy.

Not all states have a minimum wage. I posted the link earlier in this thread.
True not all states do, but they are free to do as they wish. But the federal min wage still applies to all states

Forum List

Back