Min Wage versus Cost of Living 1970 to 2018

Would You Support a Consumer Panel to Protect the Comumer against Aggressive Cost of Living?

• Total voters
… Why do we have a Federal minimum wage? … Is the cost of living in Lake City, Florida the same as in the city of New York or San Francisco? ...
Markle, minimum wage rate’s purpose is reduction of incidents and extents of poverty among the working poor. It additionally bolsters the median rate. Due to wage differentials, the minimum rate affects upon the 40 percentiles of U.S. employees earning the lowest wage rates, range from critical to substantial.

If lower wage rates are too low, it’s not possible to achieve a median rate of sufficient purchasing power.

Individual entities and their states’ economies can and often do net benefit from higher wage rate states, but lower wage states are economically of some net detriment to U.S. higher wage states. This is particularly the case between adjoining states.
The federal minimum rate is not a the uniformly effective minimum rate throughout USA’s 50 states, but they are not permitted to undermine the federal mineral rate with a lesser rate.

The cost of living is not uniform throughout the USA. That's why some state and their localities choose to enforce a higher minimum rate within their jurisdictions.

Respectfully, Supposn

… Why do we have a Federal minimum wage? … Is the cost of living in Lake City, Florida the same as in the city of New York or San Francisco? ...
Markle, minimum wage rate’s purpose is reduction of incidents and extents of poverty among the working poor. It additionally bolsters the median rate. Due to wage differentials, the minimum rate affects upon the 40 percentiles of U.S. employees earning the lowest wage rates, range from critical to substantial.

If lower wage rates are too low, it’s not possible to achieve a median rate of sufficient purchasing power.

Individual entities and their states’ economies can and often do net benefit from higher wage rate states, but lower wage states are economically of some net detriment to U.S. higher wage states. This is particularly the case between adjoining states.
The federal minimum rate is not a the uniformly effective minimum rate throughout USA’s 50 states, but they are not permitted to undermine the federal mineral rate with a lesser rate.

The cost of living is not uniform throughout the USA. That's why some state and their localities choose to enforce a higher minimum rate within their jurisdictions.

Respectfully, Supposn

It additionally bolsters the median rate.

What's the current median rate?

thanksgiving-undocumented-aliens-56a755205f9b58b7d0e94337.jpg

~S~
Actually, no, that's not even CLOSE to what Thanksgiving is about at all...

Rush is a notably effective historic revisionist

The details let in/ left out alone are astounding

Try reality, i know it's not always pretty, truth is always a premium due to this

~S~

Toddsterpatriot, Refer to: MEDIAN | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

median adjective (MATHEMATICS)

mathematics
The median value is the middle one in a set of values arranged in order of size:
/////////////////////////////////////////////

In the case of USA’s median wage rate:
If all USA employees it were sorted in sequential order of their hourly wage, it would be the wage rate of the employee that’s at the midpoint of those entirely arranged employees.
(In the case where the entire number of employees are an equal number, it would be the average of the two employees straddling the mid-point).

The current U.S. median wage rate may change. It was some dollar amount before, it's some amount now, and it will be some amount later. "You cannot step into the same river water twice". Respectfully, Supposn

Prior to the federal minimum wage rate substantially exceeding its historic February-1968 peak value, I doubt if a guaranteed-living-wage could reach the floors of the U.S. House and Senate chambers and voted upon by their entire memberships. …
i wouldn't bet the farm on it Supposn.....
Sparky, the word "doubt" indicates my lack of complete certainty, but I am reasonably confident my statement will not prove to be invalid.
Respectfully, Supposn

Daryl Hunt, yes, I understand. I too was an underpaid enlisted man. It was your misfortune to be a U.S. military serviceman when much higher wage increases were being paid to civilians.
Respectfully, Supposn

Refer to
History of Federal Minimum Wage Rates Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, 1938 - 2009 | U.S. Department of Labor
and
CPI Inflation Calculator

From February-1968 to October-2019,, the federal minimum wage rate has increased from $1.60 per hour to its current $7.25 per hour.
(7.25 – 1.60)/1.60 = 5.65/1.60 > 353% increase.

The purchasing power of current $7.25 dollars = 96 cents in February-1968 dollars.
(0.96 - 1.60)/1.60 = – 0.64/1.60 = 40% loss of minimum wage rate’s value since February-1968.

February-1968’s $1.60 = October- 2019’s $12.04 . That’s what it would require just to recover what we lost.

I'll add you to the list of far-left Progressives who steadfastly refuse to answer this simple question.

Rightwinger. francoHFW, Dragonlady, georgephillips, GolfingGator. AND NOW Supposn!

What is the average household income where one worker earns the minimum wage?

mathematics
The median value is the middle one in a set of values arranged in order of size:

If all USA employees it were sorted in sequential order of their hourly wage, it would be the wage rate of the employee that’s at the midpoint of those entirely arranged employees.
(In the case where the entire number of employees are an equal number, it would be the average of the two employees straddling the mid-point).

The current U.S. median wage rate may change. It was some dollar amount before, it's some amount now, and it will be some amount later. "You cannot step into the same river water twice". Respectfully, Supposn

Amusing, but you never answered the simple question. Why?

The average hourly wage is $23.83.

Daryl Hunt, I’m a proponent of the federal minimum wage being increased at a rate of 12.5% Per year, until it achieves 125% of its purchasing power, and there after it should be monitored and annually adjusted as not to be reduced beyond that targeted purchasing power.
… I am against Min Wage for this reason. We don't need a Min Wage. We need a Living Wage. …
Prior to the federal minimum wage rate substantially exceeding its historic February-1968 peak value, I doubt if a guaranteed-living-wage could reach the floors of the U.S. House and Senate chambers and voted upon by their entire memberships.

(The federal minimum rate of February-1968 was $1.60/hour). Respectfully, Supposn

In about 1984, we got a 12% raise for the Military since we had our wages froze for a number of years to try and make it up to us. I was in Rapid City at the time. The largest employer then there was the Military and it still is. What happened was the cost of living remarkably went up 12 to 13 percent right after that. This included gas, heating, food, etc.. And I went up two tax brackets. I joked that they could keep their damned raises if that is the case. I actually lost real money with that raise. The Civilians didn't get a 12% raise but they got their cost of living raised that 12 to 13% anyway. Unless we control the Greed Factor, it does absolutely no good to have cost of living wage increases. In fact, we lose because the cost of living almost always exceeds the cost of living wage increase. This is why our dollar buys less today than it did in 1968. Got any suggestions on how to curb that?

I misquoted the 1968 min wage. It's been a long time and I didn't just look it up like you did. Someone needed to, just suposn.
Daryl Hunt, yes, I understand. I too was an underpaid enlisted man. It was your misfortune to be a U.S. military serviceman when much higher wage increases were being paid to civilians.
Respectfully, Supposn

Refer to
History of Federal Minimum Wage Rates Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, 1938 - 2009 | U.S. Department of Labor
and
CPI Inflation Calculator

From February-1968 to October-2019,, the federal minimum wage rate has increased from $1.60 per hour to its current $7.25 per hour.
(7.25 – 1.60)/1.60 = 5.65/1.60 > 353% increase.

The purchasing power of current $7.25 dollars = 96 cents in February-1968 dollars.
(0.96 - 1.60)/1.60 = – 0.64/1.60 = 40% loss of minimum wage rate’s value since February-1968.

February-1968’s $1.60 = October- 2019’s $12.04 . That’s what it would require just to recover what we lost.

And that would be for the areas with the lowest cost of living expenses. Case in point, parts of Alabama, 12 bucks an hour can be lived on fine. But places like NYC it's more like 21 bucks an hour. I place the average at 15 bucks. In today's world, the min wage needs to be a living wage because many jobs will be at or near that amount and stay there. Workers have no choice but to take those jobs. There was a shoe factory in Tennesee that had trouble getting workers because their starting wage was lower than the state's welfare. They had trouble getting workers and refused to increase the wages. That company finally moved to another area. When you try and pay wages so low that even a depressed area in the South can't find workers maybe you shouldn't be in business in the first place. But the Company constantly blamed Welfare instead of paying a living wage. I lost track of them but chances are, they failed in their new location as well.

If you find McDonalds paying 10 bucks an hour, chances are, that should be where the real min wage should be. I guess you can call that the barometer.

We do need to do something to protect the min wage hikes. Or protect the cost of living hikes. In 1073, Nixon tried to do something about it and went from the Corporate Chosen one to the Corporate Public Enemy number One. There was a lot more to what went down with Nixon than just his obstruction. Think about it, Rump is far worse in obstruction and outright bad deeds but he's got the backing of the Corporates. Nixon was Corporate Public Enemy number 1 and got burned.

mathematics

Amusing, but you never answered the simple question. Why?

The average hourly wage is $23.83.
Markle, thank you for your answer. If $23.83 is from an authoritative link, please provide it for all of us. Is that just the average wage rate, or ”the average household income where one worker earns the minimum wage” that you asked for? I didn’t know the answer to what you asked. Did you find the answer?

USA's median wage rate is not synonymous with the average rate. The average is not as informative as is the median wage rate. Can you find an authoritative link for that?

Respectfully, Supposn

Daryl Hunt, your term, “living wage” is confuses me. The federal minimum wage rate is a rate per hour and the jobs themselves are not guaranteed. A “living wage” wouldn’t make any sense if it was not a guaranteed rate for a much longer duration of time such as a guaranteed wage per year.

What precisely do you mean when you use the term “living wage”?

Prior to the enactment of the federal minimum wage rate substantially exceeding its historic February-1968 peak purchasing power and continuing to retain that value, I doubt if a guaranteed-living-wage could reach the floors of the U.S. House and Senate chambers and voted upon by their entire memberships.

Respectfully, Supposn

mathematics

I didn't ask what median wage means....I want to know what the median wage is.

So what is the median wage? In dollars.

[

ToddsterPatriot, apparently you and I don’t know what’s USA’s precise median wage rate.

Markle states $23.83 is an average wage rate in the USA, but it’s not clear if he believes it’s the average for all USA employees, or only for single parent wage earning single parent households, or something else.
If Markle is correct and means $23.83 is the average for all USA employees, then the U.S. median wage rate exceeds $7.25 and is less than $23.83 per hour.

Why are you concerned as to the median’s precise amount? Respectfully, Supposn

[

ToddsterPatriot, apparently you and I don’t know what’s USA’s precise median wage rate.

Markle states $23.83 is an average wage rate in the USA, but it’s not clear if he believes it’s the average for all USA employees, or only for single parent wage earning single parent households, or something else.
If Markle is correct and means $23.83 is the average for all USA employees, then the U.S. median wage rate exceeds $7.25 and is less than $23.83 per hour.

Why are you concerned as to the median’s precise amount? Respectfully, Supposn

Why are you concerned as to the median’s precise amount?

To better understand your claims.

Markle, thank you for your answer. If $23.83 is from an authoritative link, please provide it for all of us. Is that just the average wage rate, or ”the average household income where one worker earns the minimum wage” that you asked for? I didn’t know the answer to what you asked. Did you find the answer?

USA's median wage rate is not synonymous with the average rate. The average is not as informative as is the median wage rate. Can you find an authoritative link for that?

Respectfully, Supposn

Anytime someone posts "Respectfully", they are being anything but.

You used a LOT of letters to answer...nothing. Instead of obfuscation, answer the question. The other far-left progressives here are afraid to post the answer because it destroys their argument.

Once again...

USA's median wage rate is not synonymous with the average rate. The average is not as informative as is the median wage rate. Can you find an authoritative link for that? ...
… Once again... What is the average household income where one worker earns the minimum wage?
Markle, apparently neither one of us can answer your question. Respectfully, Supposn

USA's median wage rate is not synonymous with the average rate. The average is not as informative as is the median wage rate. Can you find an authoritative link for that? ...
… Once again... What is the average household income where one worker earns the minimum wage?
Markle, apparently neither one of us can answer your question. Respectfully, Supposn

Incorrect, none of you are willing to answer the question because it is destructive to the Progressive cause.

average household income

What is the average income in 2019?
$60,336

According to the Census ACS survey, the median household income for the United States was $60,336 in 2017, the latest data available. 2018 Census ACS data (including 2018 national household income numbers) will be released in September of 2019.
Household income in the United States - Wikipedia

What is the federal poverty level for 2019?
2019 Federal Poverty Guidelines
For example, the poverty level for a household of four is an annual income of $25,750. To get the poverty level for larger families, add $4,420 for each additional person in the household
Are You Eligible for Federal Benefits in 2019?

xxbelow-poverty_28336945.png

~S~

average household income

What is the average income in 2019?
$60,336

According to the Census ACS survey, the median household income for the United States was $60,336 in 2017, the latest data available. 2018 Census ACS data (including 2018 national household income numbers) will be released in September of 2019.
Household income in the United States - Wikipedia

What is the federal poverty level for 2019?
2019 Federal Poverty Guidelines
For example, the poverty level for a household of four is an annual income of $25,750. To get the poverty level for larger families, add $4,420 for each additional person in the household
Are You Eligible for Federal Benefits in 2019?

xxbelow-poverty_28336945.png

~S~

Your response is incorrect. Please read the question again. Thank you.

Last edited:

Incorrect, none of you are willing to answer the question because it is destructive to the Progressive cause.
Markle, is that also your reason for not providing an authoritative answer to your question?
Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back