Millions on East Coast could be in Danger!

We came through Sandy unscathed. I have no idea how we didn't lose power ... lights constantly flickering and dimming last night for hours. The wind was the worst part but the worst of that only lasted about 6 hours or so. No damage to the outside house/property either, as far as we can tell. Am very grateful this morning.

Glad to hear that many are doing ok. Looking at the links/pics that depotoo is posting ... holy cow! Lots and lots of damage from this monster storm.

We came through Sandy unscathed. I have no idea how we didn't lose power ... lights constantly flickering and dimming last night for hours. The wind was the worst part but the worst of that only lasted about 6 hours or so. No damage to the outside house/property either, as far as we can tell. Am very grateful this morning.

Glad to hear that many are doing ok. Looking at the links/pics that depotoo is posting ... holy cow! Lots and lots of damage from this monster storm.

So good to hear from you! Glad you came through ok. Do you know if Intense is from the area there as well?

So good to hear from you! Glad you came through ok. Do you know if Intense is from the area there as well?

Thanks, depo. Intense is in NY I believe. Dr. House, Avatar and Conservative are all in PA. Hope they are ok.

Thanks, depo. Intense is in NY I believe. Dr. House, Avatar and Conservative are all in PA. Hope they are ok.

Thanks for that. Being relatively new here I did not know who all was from the area.
I hope they will all check in when they can.

Chris Christi in news conference stated rescues are ongoing there. Stated it is so bad there that there is even a house that was moved to the middle of Route 35, off its foundation. Also stated there is a ferris wheel, he believes that is what it is, in the ocean. Going to view the area from helicopter a little later. Says the loss there is nothing he ever expected to see in his lifetime.

Chris Christi in news conference stated rescues are ongoing there. Stated it is so bad there that there is even a house that was moved to the middle of Route 35, off its foundation. Also stated there is a ferris wheel, he believes that is what it is, in the ocean. Going to view the area from helicopter a little later. Says the loss there is nothing he ever expected to see in his lifetime.

depo -- are you a news reporter?

eta: Oh, duh. Christie is going to view the area via helicopter. Coffee didn't do a proper job this morning!

Last edited:

no, just a retired housewife.

no, just a retired housewife.

I read what you posted wrong .... Christie is going to view the area via helicopter. Guess my coffee didn't kick in yet! lol

I love studying the weather, have been for many years, and live in hurricane country, and having been through a few, always want what info I get from some degreed experts I know to get out there when it looks like it could be really bad. I was told of the set-up for this storm and what the implications were and just wanted all to become aware of real facts of what was happening without all the hype. I know before the storm, it appeared it was hype, but as most can see, it wasn't actually hype.

wabc_103012_statenisland-4.jpg
1 of 131: Damage on Staten Island (from Wen Holland/Facebook) ( Photo)
wabc_103012_statenisland-3.jpg
2 of 131: Damage on Staten Island (from Wen Holland/Facebook) ( Photo)

Viewer Photos of Hurricane Sandy

wabc_103012_statenisland-2.jpg
4 of 131: Damage on Staten Island (from Wen Holland/Facebook)
Look at the house on the right in the foreground.

Bloomberg- MT is closed until further notice. Hopes to have busses online by tomorrow. All airports closed. A couple of hospitals have had to be evacuated. More than 6100 people in shelters.
Queens has the greatest loss of trees. Crane is stable but can't be secured until after the winds die down. Schools will also be closed tomorrow. City offices open and try to get to work if you can safely.
Verizon has had some hitches in communications for 311. Don't go near downed power lines, some have already been killed.

Queens - divers are being sent in to check out some of the homes there.

Gov Cuomo - at least 15 New Yorkers have died. Thanked first responders for the efforts, and how many lives they have saved. Still life threatening situations. Rescues ongoing. 156 rescue missions yesterday. 90% of Long Island without power. So many states affected, NY is having to seek utility workers from Texas, California, etc. to be able to get the help needed. 5PM today Sunday like schedule for busses will start, no fares today or tomorrow. Subway restoration will be done in parts. Never before seen damage to tunnels and tracks, etc. Rockaway bridge, Holland tunnel, and one other will stay closed. Hoping JFK will reopen tomorrow. Hope Wall STreet will reopen tomorrow.
Ground Zero site is flooded. Downtown Manhattan and Long Island some of the worse he has seen.
The amount of water and rising of river was really frightening. Once again thanking first responders. Says it is going to be a long term reconstruction.

MTA - some areas still have water up to the ceilings. Will try to get subway system up in parts, if possible. Also going to increase busses as soon as they can to help make up for loss of subways, etc.

Forum List

Back