Millions on East Coast could be in Danger!

I would ask, out of respect to those that have been affected by Sandy, that if you feel you just must make it political to start another thread in in Elections, or Politcal subforum.
Thanks to everyone here that has shown respect for those in before, during, and after the storm.
Tomorrow is a new day and I will post when I have time to update. Anyone else that has updates, please do. They also have to still deal with high tide again tomorrow and what it may bring.

Again, I ask, no politcal or disrespecful posts. Please. We have members from here that we have not heard from. Love ones have been lost, loved ones have not been heard from, etc. Let's be respectful.

Last edited:
Very windy in northeast Ohio (Akron/Cleveland.) Stuff has been hitting houses. It's been raining all day, the hard rain started aound 7pm. It's a low-end gale here with occasional rumbling gusts and really weird noises I haven't heard in over half a century of living. There's flooding in the low areas already. It's snowing in central Ohio.

Very windy in northeast Ohio (Akron/Cleveland.) Stuff has been hitting houses. It's been raining all day, the hard rain started aound 7pm. It's a low-end gale here with occasional rumbling gusts and really weird noises I haven't heard in over half a century of living. There's flooding in the low areas already. It's snowing in central Ohio.

hoep you don't get hit too hard there, Grandma. Here is a list of warnings for the Ohio area for you -
Warnings and Advisories - NOAA's National Weather Service

My cousins live on the water on breezy point and roxbury beach next to Ft. Tildon. They live waterfront on the bay but the bay met the ocean tonight and the water is coming in now. My other cousin on the ocean side has water a foot deep on the first floor and it is still rising. Some still have power and others less than a mile away do not! It looks like it will be a long night. - Moldth6

p.s. I am new to your board and still learning how to use respond feature. Hi there. I thought you only used a title for a new subject, not a reply. This is new.

The lights blink off for a second every now and again.

We're good, we have a gas stove and water heater, we can block off the rest of the house and live in the kitchen if we have to. But I'm really worried about everyone else.

My cousins live on the water on breezy point and roxbury beach next to Ft. Tildon. They live waterfront on the bay but the bay met the ocean tonight and the water is coming in now. My other cousin on the ocean side has water a foot deep on the first floor and it is still rising. Some still have power and others less than a mile away do not! It looks like it will be a long night. - Moldth6

p.s. I am new to your board and still learning how to use respond feature. Hi there. I thought you only used a title for a new subject, not a reply. This is new.

Good luck to your family, Moldth6.

Grandma, hang in there!

Thousands stranded according to Gov. Malloy. He said to stay put, but get to the highest level you can, even if it is the roof.

you on the east coast depotoo?

down in Florida. Hope you aren't in the areas there either. I wish we would hear from Zoom-boing. He is the only one I know of for certain that was in the area.

Skookersbill is in Long Island.

I'm in NW Ohio and the wind is still howling here. Rain today thru Thursday. Hope it calms down at least a little for the trick or treaters tomorrow.

Hope USMBers are safe and warm, I called family yesterday to make sure everyone from the coast are ok. I have people in NC, Boston, NY. They all seem ok. I told them to get on Facebook and keep us informed.

Take care everyone.

In the New England and lost power for a while. Had several 40 foot plus trees come crashing down around my house. I live in a forest, a family of deer (5) were standing in front of my house right before a tree came crashing down near where they were standing. The crack and boom sounded like munitions. Then at night with no lights except my flashlight, it was a sight. Now the clean up.

8866083_600x338.jpg

Fire in Breezy Point, Queens
Massive fire in Breezy Point, Queens
FDNY says massive fire burning in Breezy Point section of Queens has destroyed 50 homes; 198 firefighters are battling the blaze - NY Daily News
At least 50 homes burned, 198 firefighters

The fire was reported around 11p.m. Daily News staff writer Lisa Colangelo wrote just after midnight that some hydrants in the area were submerged under seawater and that firefighter rigs could not access the area to fight the blaze.

The coastal neighborhood sits on the Rockaway peninsula jutting into the Atlantic Ocean.

Last edited:
e6d8b1a1-b1ab-4b2a-bead-1fc9e38211b7_500.jpg
A massive tree has fallen on Bay 23rd near Cropsey Avenue in Bath Beach, Brooklyn. A few cars are on the street. We are en route to Coney Island to report on the damage. Matthew Lysiak
a24bcac6-9436-4949-8d78-66042fb9c8ab_500.jpg
Large sections of Red Hook are underwater Tuesday morning. Water levels have receded from last night but, from water marks on walls, appear to have peaked at 6ft.
Trees down and cars which were submerged last night have floated into the street in areas. Debris such as mattresses, pieces of wood and trash cans are strewn around the streets. And several downed power lines are hanging down precariously. Christina Boyle

6bf31afa-ea57-4476-8c6b-6c8c56554faa_500.jpg

Floodwaters brought on by Hurricane Sandy overrun cars in New York's lower
East side late Monday night. (Brendan McDermid/Reuters)
9:08 AMDavid Boroff
There have been 13 storm-related deaths in New York, three in New Jersey and two in Connecticut, according to NBC News in New York.
8:52 AMMatthew Lysiak
The 60th Precinct in Brooklyn is gone, according to an NYPD officer. All officers from that precinct have relocated to the 74 precinct. "There is no 60 precinct. It's gone," the officer told the Daily News.
8:09 AMDavid Boroff
From Reuters:
A possible levee breach in northern New Jersey on Tuesday, flooded three towns with 4 to 5 feet of water in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, prompting the evacuation of hundreds from their homes.
The towns of Moonachie, Little Ferry and Carlstadt were underwater after the swollen Hackensack River broke its banks, affecting around 2,000 residents, said Jeanne Baratta, chief of the Bergen County Executive.
8:05 AMGovChristie
The surge was so strong we have rail cars on the Jersey Turnpike this morning. #Sandy.
Tracking Hurricane Sandy - NY Daily News

Power Outages

New Jersey: 2.13 million
New York: 1.77 million
Pennsylvania: 1.23 million
Connecticut: 628,904
Maryland: 311,600
Massachusetts: 309,801
Ohio: 255,986
Virginia: 151,790
New Hampshire: 134,085
Rhode Island: 114,374
Maine: 79,711
West Virginia: 77,955
Delaware: 77,680

121029124153_bilde.jpg
Sandy trigged street flowing in Bowers Beach, Del. Monday. Image by The News-Journal.

1234231412421_620x465.jpg

Superstorm floods New York City
Rising water caused by Hurricane Sandy rushes into a subterranean parking garage Oct. 29, 2012, in the Financial District of New York. Sandy knocked out power to at least 3.1 million people, and New York's main utility said large sections of Manhattan had been plunged into darkness by the storm, with 250,000 customers without power as water pressed into the island from three sides, flooding rail yards, subway tracks, tunnels and roads.

Credit: Getty Images
Superstorm floods New York City Pictures - CBS News

one of the 15 survivors rescued from the HMS Bounty has since died.

Forum List

Back