Middle School ordered to tear down brand new bleachers

This is always what you get when a hyper-partisan hacks reports on some little story. They leave out key pieces of the story in order to whip up the faithful.

But when you check under the hood, and see the whole story, it's nowhere near what was reported by the hyper-partisan.

Build your crap to code - it really is THAT simple.

Build a wheelchair ramp is really simple. Easier to do then tearing down the bleachers.
Stupid is as stupid does.....

I agree - pretty darn stupid to not check the codes BEFORE you build something.

But they can always raise a big stink about "big gubmint" in order to distract people from holding them accountable for their own stupidity. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this approach.

It always seems to work the mouth-breathers up into a frenzy - until someone actually checks under the hood and learns the FULL story.
I think the full story is told pretty well in the link to the OCR report. Both the boys field (Varsity Baseball Field) and the girls field (Varsity Softball Field) were both built in 2001. Both the boys and girls field have:
  • 2 dugouts
  • batting cage
  • 2 bull pins
  • Press box and concession stand
  • public address system
  • scoreboard
  • a good quality field

The differences are:
  • The boys field has seating for 100 and and a high quality scoreboard. The booster club paid for a a raised patio with 50 additional folding seats.
  • The girls field has bleacher seating for 50 and a scoreboard judged below average.

One of the District’s athletic directors told the OCR that "the the seating patio was constructed about six years ago, before he started in his position, and it was constructed through the efforts of a parent and was paid for through the team’s booster organization. He said that he is not particularly happy with the seating patio, and he would not mind if it were removed. He noted that it is above the fence line, in the line where foul balls could be hit. He said this raises safety concerns".

Possibly the reason the seating was removed was because the athletic director considered it a safety issue and the OCR investigation provided the justification to remove it. Often parents raise money to purchase equipment for a school which over time proves to be problem, yet the school is reluctant to remove the equipment.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/investigations/more/15131020-a.pdf

I wouldnt have a problem with the girls using the same field if scheduling allowed,and as long as it didnt require moving bases,changing the pitchers mound and all that crap.
The proper way to handle would have been to tell the complainers that they are perfectly welcome to raise money and build their own bleachers.
According to the law when booster clubs or other fundraising organizations, which may or may not be sponsored by the district, provide benefits or services that assist only teams of one sex, the district must ensure that teams of the other sex receive equivalent benefits and services. If booster clubs provide benefits and services to athletes of one sex that are greater than what the district is capable of providing to athletes of the other sex, then the district must take action to ensure that benefits and services are equivalent for both sexes. The district should have either budgeted money to upgraded the girls facilities or not allowed the parents to upgrade the boys facilities. It's the responsibility of the district to see that equivalent facilities or benefits are provided for the boys and girls.

The OCR made no recommendations or ruling. Before the investigations was completed, the district decided to renovate the School’s varsity softball field and to include a scoreboard and seating equivalent to what is provided at the School’s varsity baseball field; and provide the School’s girls’ lacrosse team with access to an on-campus practice facility equivalent to that provided to the boys’ lacrosse team.

Is your lying a pathological condition?

From your fucking pathetic link.

This letter sets forth OCR’s determination in an individual OCR case. This letter is not a formal statement of OCR policy and should not be relied upon, cited, or construed as such. OCR’s formal policy statements are approved by a duly authorized OCR official
and made available to the public. The complainant may have the right to file a private suit in Federal court whether or not OCR finds a violation.

Only a partisan hack would cite an internal letter that was copied to the district as a courtesy as proof that something didn't happen months later. Only a scumbag liar would keep pretending that the investigative letter is the proof that the OCR report after this wa pointed out to him repeatedly.
No, this is not an internal letter copied to the district. It is a formal letter from the director of the OCR to the district superintendent. Also, I made no statement that the OCR report was pointed out to the superintendent repeatedly.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/investigations/more/15131020-a.pdf

Last edited:
Seems stupid. Why not use the same field for boys and girls games unless they are going on simultaneously?
Whoaaaa, I like it!!!!! Play two games on the same field AT THE SAME TIME! That would put some excitement back into the game. Of course, my suggestion doesn't compete with George Carlin's suggestion that baseball/softball would be more exciting if you mined the outfield, but then again, I'm no George Carlin.

well that ... and the dimensions are different

Dimensions are the same (for HS age), but infield configuration is different. The biggest obstacle is the pitchers' mound.

Forum List

Back