Middle School ordered to tear down brand new bleachers

Non sequitur, et tu Brute derp propter hoc ad hominem straw man. Yeah, I know the lingo and still don't give a fuck. Answer the question. How many American highschools could afford new bleachers for both male and female teams with the $4t that the US borrowed to waste on the failed Iraq war and secret torture prisons?

You want to bitch about highschool bleachers? Use the term "GOVERNMENT TYRANNY" to describe an argument over highschool bleachers? Nevermind the PATRIOT Act that gives cops the authority to plant recording devices in your home without your knowledge or a warrant signed by a judge. Nevermind the bankers raping your asshole while you cheer them on. Nevermind a decade of indiscriminate drone strikes on civilians who never attacked the US. Nevermind the war criminals from the past four administrations still walking around free. Nevermind the corporate news constantly feeding shit into Americans' brains instead of reporting any real information.

No, that's all fine with Republicans, but when the big government tells some podunk white trash town to build equal seating for their highschool sports teams, that's TYRANNY.

So pull out your guns and defend that high school's right to not have equal seating. That's what you have your guns for, right? That's your precious reasoning for the 2nd Amendment, right? To defend all of your other rights? This is big government tyranny at its worst. Why are you still just sitting there?

Anytime you see stories like this that come out of Fox News, you have to go to the source documents to learn the truth. In this case, it's a letter from the UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION OFFICE FOR CIVIL RIGHTS, REGION XV dated Oct 13, 1913. The letter addresses a complaint that alleged that the District is denying equal athletic opportunity to female students at Plymouth High School (the School) because it does not provide the girls’ high school softball team with locker rooms and practice and competitive facilities that are equivalent to those provided to the boys’ baseball team.

The OCR investigated the complaint but made no recommendation or ruling. The district however agreed that some changes listed in the complaint were needed.

According to investigation report, the bleacher in question is a portable stand on the freshmen softball field. It allows for a seating capacity of 25 people although the picture of the bleacher is shot with a wide area lens to make it appear much larger.

The district decided to renovate the freshmen softball field which included moving the portable bleachers not tearing them down.

As is often the case when Fox News investigate the big bad federal government attacking local communities, the facts simply don't support the Fox News story.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/investigations/more/15131020-a.pdf

Let me get this straight, you think a preliminary report issued by the OCR somehow trumps a story written 5 months after said preliminary report simply because you think a local station is part of the vast right wing conspiracy? Does your brain ever consider the possibility that the government is wrong?

By the way, the story is actually a pretty big deal on sports blogs. I am sure someone would have pointed out it was fake my now, if it actually was.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...superior-to-softball-bleachers-210604955.html
The story is not a fake. It's just a misrepresentation of the facts. The OCR did not require that the school tear down the seating on the boys ball field. Before the final OCR report was even completed the school realized it screwed up and was in violation of the law. They voluntarily agreed to revamp the facilities to provide equivalent facilities for the girls. There was no legal action taken by the OCR. The article ignores the main issues which was the locker rooms, playing fields, and scoreboard and concentrated on the tearing down of some newly built seating on the boys ball field claiming that the OCR forced the school to do so when it was really the schools decision.

The school did not ‘screw up’ and any law that demands the people erect equal fields is asinine and distructive. The very concept that something needs to be takes away that was WORKED FOR because another does not have it is fucking insane. This entire instance is a sickening example of what happens when you demand equality.

The story is always the same – you do NOT raise everyone up together. Instead, this ‘equality’ horse manure only destroys in an effort to bring everyone DOWN to the same level. I would be ironically funny if those on your side were not so convinced that it is the way to go. This is a clear example of people working together to create something and the government getting in the way because others didn’t put forth the same effort.

So, why have something nice a shiny new for the boys, but not for the girls? Either you upgrade both sets, or none.

The boys and the girls have the exact same facilities, the only difference is that one field had better seats to enable the spectators to see the game. The solution to that is to allow the girls to use the same field, not force the boys to go backwards.

The solution is to leave them alone and if the girls want more than the interested parents can do their own fundraisers and build their own shit. They even have a fine example of what needs to be done.

Let me get this straight, you think a preliminary report issued by the OCR somehow trumps a story written 5 months after said preliminary report simply because you think a local station is part of the vast right wing conspiracy? Does your brain ever consider the possibility that the government is wrong?

By the way, the story is actually a pretty big deal on sports blogs. I am sure someone would have pointed out it was fake my now, if it actually was.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...superior-to-softball-bleachers-210604955.html
The story is not a fake. It's just a misrepresentation of the facts. The OCR did not require that the school tear down the seating on the boys ball field. Before the final OCR report was even completed the school realized it screwed up and was in violation of the law. They voluntarily agreed to revamp the facilities to provide equivalent facilities for the girls. There was no legal action taken by the OCR. The article ignores the main issues which was the locker rooms, playing fields, and scoreboard and concentrated on the tearing down of some newly built seating on the boys ball field claiming that the OCR forced the school to do so when it was really the schools decision.

The school did not ‘screw up’ and any law that demands the people erect equal fields is asinine and distructive. The very concept that something needs to be takes away that was WORKED FOR because another does not have it is fucking insane. This entire instance is a sickening example of what happens when you demand equality.

The story is always the same – you do NOT raise everyone up together. Instead, this ‘equality’ horse manure only destroys in an effort to bring everyone DOWN to the same level. I would be ironically funny if those on your side were not so convinced that it is the way to go. This is a clear example of people working together to create something and the government getting in the way because others didn’t put forth the same effort.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

If I were on the local school board or an administrator I would say "yes we will comply"...And then don't do anything..
What are the feds going to do, send in armed troops?
Fuck 'em....It's time for people to stand up against this tyranny.
While you may believe that complying with Federal Law is optional, the school knows better.

You should learn how and way these laws came to be? You obviously weren't old enough to have lived in the time before them, and they will not be repealed. They've been on the books for decades now.

The old phrase is the law is an ass, but in this case I don't mind. There was an easy solution, upgrade the girls? The sports are, by law, required to try and stay equal.

Who said anything about "sports required to try and stay equal"?
First, where did you learn to write? It's not ""try and". It is "try to..."
Second, the bleachers were funded privately. Money raised by parents of the students which pay on the baseball team..
If the parents of the girls who play softball wanted new bleachers, thney should have done the same thing....Then again, why spend the money on stands that will be occupied by so very few?
Your argument is a FAIL...A knee jerk liberal fail.
My English is correct. It would take me a week to correct all the mistakes in your posts on this one issue so I can't be bothered. Knee-jerk has a hyphen BTW.

The story is not a fake. It's just a misrepresentation of the facts. The OCR did not require that the school tear down the seating on the boys ball field. Before the final OCR report was even completed the school realized it screwed up and was in violation of the law. They voluntarily agreed to revamp the facilities to provide equivalent facilities for the girls. There was no legal action taken by the OCR. The article ignores the main issues which was the locker rooms, playing fields, and scoreboard and concentrated on the tearing down the some newly built seating on the boys ball field claiming that the OCR forced the school to do so when it was really the schools decision.

Let me see if I can explain this to you. I doubt it, but it is possible that you are capable of admitting you made a mistake.

The letter you found was dated 31 Oct 2013, and referred to a complaint that was filed on 19 Oct 2013. I know you have a problem with simple math, so I will point out that is a period of 12 days. There is no fucking way that anyone who is honest can claim that 12 days is enough time for the government to investigate anything and reach a conclusion. In fact, your letter actually says that it should not be relied upon, cited, or construed as a formal statement of OCR policy.

The fact that you are attempting to do so makes you the one misrepresenting the facts. Unfortunately, for you, I can actually read.
First of all you, do not know what transpired before the official complaint went to to OCR. You don't know if it's first complaint and you don't if there was an investigation by the district.

12 days is plenty of time. The investigation was a collection of comments and a description of the facilities. The DOE made no ruling or recommendation because this district volunteered to upgrade the facilities before the investigation was complete.

I've seen federal DOE investigations. In most cases, the local district has conducted it's own prior investigation. The DOE investigation is usually a meeting with district and school officials to review and verify the district investigation and get and agreement of a course of action if possible.

I would bet this report was written by the district and just reviewed, verified, and updated by a DOE investigator. That's what usually happens when a complaint goes to DOE.

If I were on the local school board or an administrator I would say "yes we will comply"...And then don't do anything..
What are the feds going to do, send in armed troops?
Fuck 'em....It's time for people to stand up against this tyranny.
Obviously, you don't know much about how a school district functions. The first thing a superintendent does when a copy of a complaint to DOE hits his desk is have his staff investigate it and come up with a solution that keeps the story out of the media and the district out of court. School administrators that ignore federal and state mandates don't keep their job very long.

Last edited:
This is pretty dumb. Having played softball in high school our field was nothing like the baseball field. They had more spectators etc.. Instead of punishing baseball players my high school team raised money, then won state titles, and raised more money. The softball field is much nicer now. Well until the baseball field renovation is done. Lol
Either way, this is stupid. Tell the girls to start raising their own money.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

The story is not a fake. It's just a misrepresentation of the facts. The OCR did not require that the school tear down the seating on the boys ball field. Before the final OCR report was even completed the school realized it screwed up and was in violation of the law. They voluntarily agreed to revamp the facilities to provide equivalent facilities for the girls. There was no legal action taken by the OCR. The article ignores the main issues which was the locker rooms, playing fields, and scoreboard and concentrated on the tearing down the some newly built seating on the boys ball field claiming that the OCR forced the school to do so when it was really the schools decision.

Let me see if I can explain this to you. I doubt it, but it is possible that you are capable of admitting you made a mistake.

The letter you found was dated 31 Oct 2013, and referred to a complaint that was filed on 19 Oct 2013. I know you have a problem with simple math, so I will point out that is a period of 12 days. There is no fucking way that anyone who is honest can claim that 12 days is enough time for the government to investigate anything and reach a conclusion. In fact, your letter actually says that it should not be relied upon, cited, or construed as a formal statement of OCR policy.

The fact that you are attempting to do so makes you the one misrepresenting the facts. Unfortunately, for you, I can actually read.
First of all you, do not know what transpired before the official complaint went to to OCR. You don't know if it's first complaint and you don't if there was an investigation by the district.

12 days is plenty of time. The investigation was a collection of comments and a description of the facilities. The DOE made no ruling or recommendation because this district volunteered to upgrade the facilities before the investigation was complete.

I've seen federal DOE investigations. In most cases, the local district has conducted it's own prior investigation. The DOE investigation is usually a meeting with district and school officials to review and verify the district investigation and get and agreement of a course of action if possible.

I would bet this report was written by the district and just reviewed, verified, and updated by a DOE investigator. That's what usually happens when a complaint goes to DOE.

Did you miss the part where the letter you used to prove that the OCR didn't require the tear down said that it should not be relied upon, cited, or construed as a formal statement of OCR policy?

You could have proved me wrong simply by admitting you screwed up, but I do appreciate the fact that you validated my judgement of your character.

Last edited:
This is pretty dumb. Having played softball in high school our field was nothing like the baseball field. They had more spectators etc.. Instead of punishing baseball players my high school team raised money, then won state titles, and raised more money. The softball field is much nicer now. Well until the baseball field renovation is done. Lol
Either way, this is stupid. Tell the girls to start raising their own money.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

:clap2:

Seems stupid. Why not use the same field for boys and girls games unless they are going on simultaneously?

Baseball & softball fields are different enough to make that tough. Offhand: softball has a dirt infield, no pitchers' mound, and a much closer backstop.

So, why have something nice a shiny new for the boys, but not for the girls? Either you upgrade both sets, or none.

The school didnt pay for the bleachers,the parents and boosters did.
The girls softball boosters and parents can damn well get out there and earn their own money for bleachers.

You should always check the codes before you build something.

In trying to paint this as an "oppressive government gone bad" story, They really try to gloss over that the bleachers weren't built to code.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back