middle class, educated and hungry

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
The new hungry: College-educated, middle-class cope with food insecurity - CNN.com

The new hungry: College-educated, middle-class cope with food insecurityBy Stephanie Chen, CNNDecember 13, 2010 9:08 a.m. EST
Rolanda McCarty, who was laid off and once earned $38,000 a year, relies on a food bank to feed her USDA: About 50 million Americans live in food insecure households

Food banks across the country are experiencing an uptick in demand

A growing number of food insecure people are college-educated and middle-class

Families have to make tough decisions between paying the bills and buying dinnerLawrenceville, Georgia (CNN) -- Come Christmas dinner, Rolanda McCarty, a 36-year-old single mother, usually goes all out.

Her table last year featured a rosemary-and-oil rubbed turkey and a sweet ham. She prepared fresh collard greens according to her grandmother's recipe. The dessert -- a rich butter pound cake -- was made from scratch.

But after being laid off from her technical recruiting job in January because of the struggling economy, there will be no fancy holiday feast, no family members pouring into her downsized one-bedroom apartment. She will rely on what she has: canned vegetables and microwavable meals from her community food bank.

"It was a little bit embarrassing," said McCarty of accessing the food pantry at the Lawrenceville Cooperative Ministry for the first time last month. "But you know, I have to do what I have to do to survive."

It is perhaps around the holidays, a period of celebration often centered on food, when there is no clearer reminder for many once middle-class families of what life used to taste like. McCarty, who is college educated and served in the Air Force for four years, describes herself as "an independent person," who earned $38,000 a year before the economy took a turn.

Food Insecurity?

Now I've heard everyhing.... you leftists asshats never miss an opportunity to make victims out of anybody.

• Banned
Food stamps are the best stimulus and tax cuts fall way behind in stimulus impact.

If she was doing all that, and only made $38,000, she was relying on someone else anyway.

Redistribution for those who refuse to take care of their responsibilities, at the expense of those that do, thru a huge bureaucratic and wasteful system, is the 'best' stimulus...

How fucking laughable

If she was doing all that, and only made $38,000, she was relying on someone else anyway.

Its middle class in this country now.

The income divide is so huge after Bush she was middle class

The new hungry: College-educated, middle-class cope with food insecurity - CNN.com

The new hungry: College-educated, middle-class cope with food insecurityBy Stephanie Chen, CNNDecember 13, 2010 9:08 a.m. EST
Rolanda McCarty, who was laid off and once earned $38,000 a year, relies on a food bank to feed her USDA: About 50 million Americans live in food insecure households

Food banks across the country are experiencing an uptick in demand

A growing number of food insecure people are college-educated and middle-class

Families have to make tough decisions between paying the bills and buying dinnerLawrenceville, Georgia (CNN) -- Come Christmas dinner, Rolanda McCarty, a 36-year-old single mother, usually goes all out.

Her table last year featured a rosemary-and-oil rubbed turkey and a sweet ham. She prepared fresh collard greens according to her grandmother's recipe. The dessert -- a rich butter pound cake -- was made from scratch.

But after being laid off from her technical recruiting job in January because of the struggling economy, there will be no fancy holiday feast, no family members pouring into her downsized one-bedroom apartment. She will rely on what she has: canned vegetables and microwavable meals from her community food bank.

"It was a little bit embarrassing," said McCarty of accessing the food pantry at the Lawrenceville Cooperative Ministry for the first time last month. "But you know, I have to do what I have to do to survive."

It is perhaps around the holidays, a period of celebration often centered on food, when there is no clearer reminder for many once middle-class families of what life used to taste like. McCarty, who is college educated and served in the Air Force for four years, describes herself as "an independent person," who earned $38,000 a year before the economy took a turn.

Obamanomics = Epic Fail.

Thanks for pointing out the continued and ever increasing failure of Obamanomics

Redistribution for those who refuse to take care of their responsibilities, at the expense of those that do, thru a huge bureaucratic and wasteful system, is the 'best' stimulus...

How fucking laughable

Hmmmm lets see your idiot ramblings yanked out of the ass of Glen Beck or harvard economist study??????

I choose the study.

How fucking laughable

Hmmmm lets see your idiot ramblings yanked out of the ass of Glen Beck or harvard economist study??????

I choose the study.

Reality of a huge and wasteful government program, thru multi levels of agencies, .vs people earning and dealing in the economy without a wasteful middle man...

I choose reality... not an agenda driven 'study'

Ever notice how the left finds a way to victimize everyone... save those who produce. They never miss an opportunity to enslave a group. New target .... the middle class.

Where is your proof that the study was as you claimed?

Note: stay out of Becky ass.

Food Insecurity?

Now I've heard everyhing.... you leftists asshats never miss an opportunity to make victims out of anybody.

Omg, you've missed out. It's the next "animal rights" fad. There are grants being done for studies (I got to deal with some of these idiots) and all sorts of movements going on (or maybe it's just one movement spread thin) that focus on food availability. It all ties in with the farmer's market movement.

And the premise is pretty good, really. It makes sense to be able to feed your own community from within your community. I live in an isolated area, and we had a winter where essentially the roads were shut down for 2 week. We traveled them, or at least some of us did, the ones with appropriate vehicles. But all big truck traffic was cut off. We didn't get groceries to our stores for weeks. They ran out of bread, milk, a lot of the veggies. Still had canned stuff and juices. But it opens your eyes a little when you can't get milk or fresh meat, and you're in the middle of COW country!

Perhaps if our government didn't have programs to pay farmers not to grow food and to burn food for fuel, there would be more food available at much cheaper prices.

Forum List

Back