Michigan County Threatens To Demolish Amish Homes If They Don’t Give Up Their Religious Beliefs

They have survived very well and with good -if not excellent- health condition for generations. Much better than people from modern cities.

Those dudes from the county are a bunch of idiots. They should copy the way of living of the Amish.

The county has no case. Lol.

They hand pump water from wells and use outhouses.

I use a handpump for water out at the farm, cold, clear water who knows not many takers than myself ...

anyone been around an outhouse, ever use one regularly, they may have actually been outlawed and should be that is not religion but the road to insanity.

I can see where the County's position is coming from. As technology has advanced, the standards that are expected of a house to be considered suitable for human habitation have advanced, as well, to keep up with technology. Most of us take it as a given that be suitable for human habitation at this time, a house should have indoor plumbing with running water and flush toilets, electrical service and other basic utilities, and meet certain modern construction standards. For the most part, I think most of us would agree that it is reasonable for local authorities to enforce such standards with regard to habitability.

The Amish present an odd challenge. For religious reasons that surely seem reasonable to them, they eschew the use of many modern technologies, including some that are essential to modern housing standards. It seems to me that as long as they don't cause harm to others, or undue harm or danger to themselves, they should be allowed to live in homes that comply with their religious standards. This seems like a case where, any imposition on the part of government that is in conflict with the Amish's religious practices should be held to the strict scrutiny standard.

The Amish have been living this way since 1529 and they're doing just fine.

as long has their practices do not pose a risk of harm to others, and the children on the property can be kept safe.
Unsafe disposal of human waste violates both of those principles. That's the problem. The Amish can believe whatever magical nonsense they wish, without being penalized for it. But that's the extent of protection of law they or any religious group deserves. Fine, believe that god demands you use horseys and carriages. But they still must follow the rules of the road.

You mean like a septic system?

as long has their practices do not pose a risk of harm to others, and the children on the property can be kept safe.
Unsafe disposal of human waste violates both of those principles. That's the problem. The Amish can believe whatever magical nonsense they wish, without being penalized for it. But that's the extent of protection of law they or any religious group deserves. Fine, believe that god demands you use horseys and carriages. But they still must follow the rules of the road.

The only thing that keeps me from agreeing with you completely is that this apparently is a rural area in which there is a lot of livestock, which also produces waste, and I don't know how this is disposed of. This would not be acceptable in a more densely populated area. I know very little about issues regarding groundwater, etc.

They generally turn it into fertilizer for their crops.

I can see where the County's position is coming from. As technology has advanced, the standards that are expected of a house to be considered suitable for human habitation have advanced, as well, to keep up with technology. Most of us take it as a given that be suitable for human habitation at this time, a house should have indoor plumbing with running water and flush toilets, electrical service and other basic utilities, and meet certain modern construction standards. For the most part, I think most of us would agree that it is reasonable for local authorities to enforce such standards with regard to habitability.

The Amish present an odd challenge. For religious reasons that surely seem reasonable to them, they eschew the use of many modern technologies, including some that are essential to modern housing standards. It seems to me that as long as they don't cause harm to others, or undue harm or danger to themselves, they should be allowed to live in homes that comply with their religious standards. This seems like a case where, any imposition on the part of government that is in conflict with the Amish's religious practices should be held to the strict scrutiny standard.

While the county may be impinging of their religious traditions, then again it may be just protecting the ground water feeding the aquifer that supplies water to surrounding farms and communities or maintain water quality along Beare Creek. I saw a recent local article about minor flooding in the county. Above ground human waste disposal can be very serious and indeed, dangerous. While ACLU fighting on religious grounds is good for a disturbing headline, it it often not the real story.

While the county may be impinging of their religious traditions, then again it may be just protecting the ground water feeding the aquifer that supplies water to surrounding farms and communities or maintain water quality along Beare Creek. I saw a recent local article about minor flooding in the county. Above ground human waste disposal can be very serious and indeed, dangerous. While ACLU fighting on religious grounds is good for a disturbing headline, it it often not the real story.

So explain septic systems.

What do you not understand about septic systems? I can tell you above ground waste disposal by spreading human feces from shoveling out underneath out houses is not considered a septic system.

The only thing that keeps me from agreeing with you completely is that this apparently is a rural area in which there is a lot of livestock, which also produces waste, and I don't know how this is disposed of. This would not be acceptable in a more densely populated area. I know very little about issues regarding groundwater, etc.

are they vegetarians, human waste can not be used for fertilizer otherwise. and is still a bad choice.

Americans just need to be careful if they are in Amish Country. Here in the county of Mercer we have a couple of Amish colonies. Just be careful as those buggies don't move very fast.

What do you not understand about septic systems? I can tell you above ground waste disposal by spreading human feces from shoveling out underneath out houses is not considered a septic system.

WTF are you talking about?
You move the outhouse when the hole gets full,which takes a long time since the liquids soak into the ground like a septic system,then you put lime in the shit hole and bury it with the dirt you dug out from the new hole.
It's a simple septic system.

are they vegetarians, human waste can not be used for fertilizer otherwise. and is still a bad choice.

Did you look at the post you responded to?
It was about cattle shit.
And contrary to your beliefs human waste is used as a fertilizer all the time.

While I agree with you to some extent....

People have been using outhouses for centuries and doing O.K. (except for a frostbitten ass once in a while).

Seems the county could spend it's time and resources doing something like fighting real crime.

What says it is unsafe ?

may have missed the livestock connection - but you are now saying human waste is used for fertilizer, lets hope not for consumer crops ... or anywhere.

not many people relieve themselves inside their septic tank.

may have missed the livestock connection - but you are now saying human waste is used for fertilizer, lets hope not for consumer crops ... or anywhere.

not many people relieve themselves inside their septic tank.

It's called night soil.
Look it up.

As for your second comment?
WTF are you talking about? Of course they dont shit directly into their septic system. When they flush the toilet it does go directly into their septic so whats the difference?
Hell,my travel trailer holds 45 gallons of shit,where do you think it goes?

So, who are they hurting?
First, their own children, who dont have a choice not to live in the unsafe conditions. Second, their livestock. Third, the entire public, by carrying disease outside their own property.

WHOSE CHILDREN?

The governments' children or THEIR children?

I thought the you were pro-choice?

WTF? :dunno:

You some kind of fucking hypocrite now? What the hell happened to pro-choice?

According to the article, they met State standards.

Believe it or not, for hundreds of years, well water and septic was just fine, AND sanitary. I grew up with it, and it was just fine and sanitary. I have a septic myself. Plenty of my friends have well water.

Something else is going on. Millions of Americans use well water and have septic tanks fool.

amish-4101590_1280-e1576815878314.jpg

Such an outright attack on a religious group right here in the United States of America? How can it be?

Where are the county and state authorities on this? Why hasn’t the county sheriff or state police stepped in to put a stop to this?

Over a dozen Amish families are being threatened by Lenawee County Michigan regarding their water supply and disposal. The threats stem from the county health department condemning their homes, saying they are “unfit for human habitation” and filing lawsuits against 14 families in November.

If the county is successful in its pursuit to demolish the homes, which apparently are fit for human habitation as the families are living there, it would result in the loss of these families’ homes, but it should be noted that it is also an attempt to bend their consciences against what they believe to be right, whether you agree or disagree with them or not.

They hand pump water from wells and use outhouses. They don’t use electricity, cell phones, or cars.

I have a gut feeling that it has something to do with money. Someone’s standing by to make a killing if the families are forced to leave their homes. Who will get the property?

More @ Michigan: County Threatens To Demolish Amish Homes If They Don't Give Up Their Religious Beliefs » Sons of Liberty Media
What we need is more government!!!

First, their own children, who dont have a choice not to live in the unsafe conditions. Second, their livestock. Third, the entire public, by carrying disease outside their own property.
First off, I live close to Philly and we have several farmer's markets close by. The Amish meats taste fresher and better than most supermarket deli produce. The Amish kids look healthier and seem to be able to do so much more than simply play on a cell phone in their room. They can plow fields, cook, do laundry, count change, handle a team of horses and don't look the worse for wear.

If for some reason technology died (Super Solar Flare, Mega Volcanic Eruption, Asteroid Strike), I'd have to say that the Amish would be among those at the top of your evolution ladder. They don't need computers or telephones to live comfortably ----- they don't need electricity. They have GOD and each other.

Forum List

Back