Michelle Wants Kids to Monitor Family for Racism

She said something that any traditional family is OBVIOUSLY going to take significant offense to. Where I come from, children do not attempt to "correct" or "teach" their parents ANYTHING. That's a one way trip to a very unpleasant (and quite painful) place for the child.

"Traditional" families punish kids by beating them?

You can save that tradition, thanks.

"Traditional" families are like that dimwad this week who's email was exposed to be calling Obama a ******, and if he's challenged by a kid who is smarter than he is the kid gets his ass kicked?

You can save that tradition, thanks.

Beating? Who said anything about a beating? You can punish a child without beating them.

Maybe you can, but GT cannot.

I think they 'talk' about things. Some families do. I wouldn't really know much about that--my family argues. We cannot talk about a lot of things --racism being one.

It is almost more than I can stand. fyi.

An African American man just came to cut my 93 yr old mother's grass. He is as kind of a human as anyone can be. So many kind people of all kinds.

Yes there are kind people in this world of all stripes and vice versa. But that has nothing to do with the topic. A child challenging their parent is never a good idea and I am willing to bet the Obama's wouldn't appreciate it from their own children.

As rare as they may be--I do think there are families that discuss issues--children ask questions--not certain that is challenging authority. I can't explain.

Had I asked these sort of questions---to my father in the early 60's---I really don't know what he would have said or done--I almost wish I had.

Go to church---and we did---'love others'--that was supposed to be the unifying philosophy in my family. Never understood 'the hatred'---lots of problems still from that.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything different from Michelle Obama--don't really agree. fwiw.

I don't know what the 'answer' is ---just know I have to hold onto something positive.

Asking questions is a far cry from "challenging" or "correcting".

Please source your claim the Nazi's were asking the children to report - what was it they were to report. Were you there? And if you read the piece, the First Lady asked that they challenge not report, kinda like the people here are challenging each other all the time. Another dumb distraction from the right wing clown car.

Go bang your head on your coffee table until I tell you to stop.

Please source your claim the Nazi's were asking the children to report - what was it they were to report. Were you there? And if you read the piece, the First Lady asked that they challenge not report, kinda like the people here are challenging each other all the time. Another dumb distraction from the right wing clown car.

A child DOES NOT challenge their parents. EVER...It's disrespectful. And In my house earns severe punishment.

Stephanie--I've read a number of your posts and I think I understand your points.

I don't like 'all this either'--but I think the Obamas are good parents.

It is just so hard--all the political issues that divide the country.

I have a feeling the problems with the VA are going to make a major difference---not related to this thread but we need to collectively do some serious thinking.

Probably shouldn't have said any of that. Very concerned about what should be next for this nation. fyi.

Do you think the Obama's are the type of parents that teach their own children to challenge and/or correct them and if so do you think they would take their corrections calmly?

I think they 'talk' about things. Some families do. I wouldn't really know much about that--my family argues. We cannot talk about a lot of things --racism being one.

It is almost more than I can stand. fyi.

An African American man just came to cut my 93 yr old mother's grass. He is as kind of a human as anyone can be. So many kind people of all kinds.

When kids get to their teens, they can join in the discussion of the day's events at the dinner table. However, there is a boundary that the kids cannot cross.

A child DOES NOT challenge their parents. EVER...It's disrespectful. And In my house earns severe punishment.

I agree/understand. These students are 'still children'---about to become adults.

She was orating----not just to the students. To the world--getting the message across--that is her reason for being.

Of course not in the Obama home would either of them be pleased to hear one of their children say --'You are wrong --what you should do'--of course not.

I assume they operate on the level where questions are asked--if one of the girl's has an opinion--she is allowed to express it and they discuss it.

So why say what she said? She is Michelle Obama---'Racism must end'---her cause.

After that---that is what I would expect her to say---how much attention I would give it---and hopefully my child and I would have developed our own way of communicating. Might have even shared a lol after graduation.

Yes, we know- we know---we know--Michelle et al--Racism is Evil ----Racism is Evil. Please let this end--but it will not end---must find ways to cope. Not listening is working pretty well for me. Grew up in Atlanta, GA in the 60's---and civil rights --and civil rights---and then civil rights. I get it. Also know---that if someone wishes not to change his/her opinion---nod your head--perhaps a pained look --a look of confusion. This is how we celebrate family gatherings ---no one changes anyone's mind.

As a child--no--you didn't poke your nose into adults' conversations. Never--ever.

Sad, really sad

Sad, really sad

the bible thumper mentality, most prevalent in the southern cracker states

Daddy....it scares me when you drink so much
Shut up.......SMACK

Mommy.....if you keep smoking, I'm afraid you will die
Shut up.....SMACK

Daddy........why do you hit Mommy
shut up....SMACK

Right wing parenting at its best

Sad, really sad

the bible thumper mentality, most prevalent in the southern cracker states

there are some really nice people who would fit that description. you would be surprised.

I live in one of 'those states'---sometimes have felt the same.

They also believe a few other things--'Do for yourself'--help others.

My cousin, elder in his church---engineer. He is a realist---firm and fair --works with many young people. Respect--that is understood from the start. Biblical principles can work well if understood well. You can question--it is good to question --reflect--contemplate. Learn to control yourself---first step to anywhere that is worth going.

ah well---religion is not for everyone. that's true.

It is true in the South that respect for elders is important. My cousin believes in that. A gentleman---also important in the South. The kind of men ---as tender hearted and tough minded as they come.

Daddy....it scares me when you drink so much
Shut up.......SMACK

Mommy.....if you keep smoking, I'm afraid you will die
Shut up.....SMACK

Daddy........why do you hit Mommy
shut up....SMACK

Right wing parenting at its best

Yes, projecting one's own sad experiences onto others may work but it's only temporary.

Does this apply to adult children as well?

Children should be seen and not heard. If I had made any correction of my grandparents, my parents would have been taken aside and told not to come back until I learned to behave.

Children get told that friends are unwelcome all the time. A girl is a skank. A boy smokes dope. It's part of making decisions for children they are too immature to make for themselves. Pop culture portrays children as the wise decision makers. It's not that way in real life.

There are times when 'children should not be involved'--I can go that far.

I am possibly certifiable--what I would take away from the message---'If there is an appropriate opportunity to discuss what you believe with members of your family who may believe differently--seize the day' I know she used different words--she is passionate and activism is second nature. A softer approach might have been better --but this was Kansas--Brown v Board of Education---dear to her heart.

The speaking of our truths. Become wearisome.

Someone I wholeheartedly admire---I would listen to every word they said. For me such people seem to be the kind that 'don't tell others what to do'---so she made the speech. School's out---summer fun?

If "passionate" translates to "control freak, elitist c**t", I can agree. What a relief it would be if she'd tend her own garden and leave us to ours.

You tell me

when has Michelle Obama ever made a kid eat lunch?

So now Michelle had nothing to do with lunch menus in schools?

School Kids Are MAD At Michelle Obama Because Of Their Lunches! | Perezitos.com

Who'da thunk it?

First Ladies have legislative powers now

I have to go with Michelle on this one. Vegetables are good--eat them. Just eat them.

At my elementary school---a very long time ago--you 'Had' to eat everything on your plate and we did. I wasn't very happy on bran muffin day--very greasy---choked it down.

We could not speak in the lunchroom --or in the hall --or in class. Very strict----years later--I learned that I attended one of the best elementary schools in the district. That is just how it was--eat the food that has been provided---go to school to learn and behave yourself. no options.

Forum List

Back