Michael Bloomberg Denounces ‘Safe Spaces’ in University Commencement Speech

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
The little flowers aren't gonna like it if their safe spaces are taken away.

Former New York MayorMichael Bloombergdelivered the commencement address today to graduating University of Michigan students, and he took the opportunity to tear into the idea of campus “safe spaces.”

Yes, colleges all over the country are dealing with politically correct outrage on a near-constant basis, and more and more people are getting sick of the idea that universities should be catering to every single #problematic thing anyone is the least bit offended by.

In his address today, Bloomberg spoke at length about cooperation and teamwork, saying, “Those are the most important skills in the working world, and it’s why colleges have always exposed students to challenging and uncomfortable ideas.”

And then he went after the safe spaces:

“The fact that some university boards and administrations now bow to pressure groups, and shield students from these ideas through safe spaces, code words, and trigger warnings, is in my view a terrible mistake. The whole purpose of college is to learn how to deal with difficult situations, not to run away from them. A microaggression is exactly that, micro.”

Michael Bloomberg Denounces ‘Safe Spaces’ in University Commencement Speech

“Those are the most important skills in the working world, and it’s why colleges have always exposed students to challenging and uncomfortable ideas.

“The fact that some university boards and administrations now bow to pressure groups, and shield students from these ideas through safe spaces, code words, and trigger warnings, is in my view a terrible mistake. The whole purpose of college is to learn how to deal with difficult situations, not to run away from them. A micro-aggression is exactly that, micro.”

Wow, good for him.

Come on, Regressive Lefties, disagree with the above.

Reminds me of what Obama says:
Obama_zpsyhdanqwz.gif~original

“Those are the most important skills in the working world, and it’s why colleges have always exposed students to challenging and uncomfortable ideas.

“The fact that some university boards and administrations now bow to pressure groups, and shield students from these ideas through safe spaces, code words, and trigger warnings, is in my view a terrible mistake. The whole purpose of college is to learn how to deal with difficult situations, not to run away from them. A micro-aggression is exactly that, micro.”

Wow, good for him.

Our board liberals will likely ignore this thread.

Wow, good for him.

Our board liberals will likely ignore this thread.
Yup. They know what they're doing, and they know they're being exposed.

Not much they can do with that.

Graduation is now over. Life in the fantasy bubble of college is now over. From now on there will be no safe zones.

Time to put on that interview suit, shine your shoes, get your hair cut/fashioned and land a job. Walk into that interview like you own the room. Convince the hard nosed execs why you're the ball buster they're looking for to light up their bottom line. Reality now trumps theory.

Ladies and Gentlemen start your engines. Let the real education begin.

Hack it or pack it. Kill or be killed.

Welcome to the real world.

In 10 years, the survivors will be conservatives. The rest will be asking "Do you want fries with that?"

--------------------------

Forum List

Back