METAL

I don't know if you are a fan of older Metallica and/or Meshuggah, but I just found this guy who did a version of Blackened with a Meshuggah sound, and I love it for some reason. It's definitely got a Meshuggah sound, but is clearly Blackened. The same guy did a Meshuggah version of Disposable Heroes, but I didn't like that so much, because it deviates too far from the original; it's hard to hear Disposable Heroes in it.

Metallica was my entry point into the genre and even though I don't listen to them often anymore, I will always love those first 4 albums. As for this song...well I'd rather listen to the original.

The best Metallica cover I've ever heard is by Moonsorrow and I think it's even better than the original. Check it out:

"Oh, green field,
Why have you turned black?"
"I have turned black because of blood,
Which was spilled for freedom.
Near the town Berestechko
Glorious cossacks
Have covered me on four miles
With their bodies.
And jackdaws
Covered me from the north...
They pecked сossack eyes,
But didn’t want the corpses.
I, green, have turned black
For your freedom.
I will green again,
But you will never
Come back on freedom.
You will plough me silently
and damn your destiny."

Imagine seeing Dio perform live? That must have been one heck of a show! Same with Metallica back in the 80s. I saw Ozzie once when I was a teenager and my friend and I sneaked in. :D

I prefer old school metal. I like singing better than growling and groaning for the most part.

Totally awesome live performance of Fade to Black (one of my favorites by Metallica, one of my favorite 80s metal bands) . . .

Old school? This came out a year before ...And Justice, and is considered by some to be the first death metal album:

This came out the year after ...And Justice:

This came out in 85, and some consider Possessed to be the first death metal band, rather than Death:

Death metal goes back a ways. ;)

I prefer old school metal. I like singing better than growling and groaning for the most part.

Totally awesome live performance of Fade to Black (one of my favorites by Metallica, one of my favorite 80s metal bands) . . .

Old school? This came out a year before ...And Justice, and is considered by some to be the first death metal album:

This came out in 85, and some consider Possessed to be the first death metal band, rather than Death:

I just don't like death metal. It's too much. Overkill. Lol! That is probably the name of one of them. :D

I just don't like death metal. It's too much. Overkill. Lol! That is probably the name of one of them. :D

Overkill is a band, but they aren't death metal. :)

One of the greatest voices in the '80's metal era belonged to Queensrÿche's Geoff Tate. Paired with the scintillating guitar attack of Chris DeGarmo & Michael Wilton and anchored by the bottom end of bassist Eddie Jackson & drummer Scott Rockenfield gave the group a sound that would cause all the malenky hairs on your plot to stand all endwise. This one, from their first album, encapsulates their sound quite nicely. From a live concert in Tokyo in 1984, this is Take Hold of the Flame:

The top metal act in the US during the '70's and early '80's was NYC's Blue Öyster Cult. One of the tightest bands of any era, and known for their amazing live shows complete with a laser show second to none, the group churned out an impressive list of metal music.
From their album Fire of Unknown Origin, this is a remastered live performance of Veteran of the Psychic Wars. You may recognize it from the film Heavy Metal. Watch one of the best guitar solos ever as Buck Dharma thrashes it:

Forum List

Back