Merged Credit downgrade threads

Kerry Slams 'Tea Party Downgrade'

Senator John Kerry (D-MA), appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday, blamed Republicans and in particular Tea Party intransigence for the unprecedented S&P downgrade of U.S. credit from AAA to AA+.

"I believe this is without question the Tea Party downgrade," he said. "This is the Tea Party downgrade because a minority of people in the House of Representatives countered the will of even many of Republicans in the United States Senate who were prepared to do a bigger deal."

Kerry intimated that the "grand bargain" that President Obama initially negotiated with House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), a package of larger spending cuts and revenue increases, was scuttled by a smaller group of Republicans who were unwilling to negotiate at any cost.

"There were some people in the Republican party - and Mitch McConnell even admitted this - who wanted to default," Kerry said. "He said there were people in his party who were willing to shoot the hostage. In the end they found that the hostage was worth ransoming."

MORE: Kerry Slams 'Tea Party Downgrade' | TPMDC

What a joke!
The Democrats are blamng everyone in sight. The White House is blaming S&P. Kerry is blaming the Tea Party. That ugly dyke Maddow is blaming the GOP.
Hey, get a clue, it's the Democrats' spending and lack of budgets and inability to come up with a workable plan that's the issue. Quit spinning.

And two ironic comments yesterday; one from Tim Geithner, one from Alan Greenspan; illustrate just how nonsensical the world has become.

...Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner said European governments need to get their “fiscal house” in order and provide a financial backstop for economies under pressure.

“What Europe needs to do is to make sure that there’s an unequivocal financial backstop,” Geithner said, according to the transcript of an interview with NBC and CNBC television today. “So there is no doubt in anyone’s mind that those countries have the ability and the will to meet their obligations. That’s essential to managing crises.” ...

...Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan on Sunday ruled out the chance of a US default following S&P's decision to downgrade America's credit rating.

"The United States can pay any debt it has because we can always print money to do that. So there is zero probability of default" said Greenspan on NBC's Meet the Press ...

and just to add to the farce, from someone that provided the phony numbers:

The Farce Is (Again) Complete: Former Obama Budget Chief Orszag Says Official Economic Projections "Too Optimistic" | ZeroHedge

"Former Obama Budget Chief Orszag Says Official Economic Projections "Too Optimistic"

And so the comedy circle is complete yet again after none other than former White House budget chief Peter Orszag throws cold water in the face of the White House, the Treasury and everyone else who has so far been so stupid to continue to deflect blame for America's horrendous fiscal situation purely on S&P and its "colossal $2 trillion mistake." Because if the guy who up until a year ago personally came up with the White House's voodoo numbers is telling you they are full of shit (the numbers, not the White House), perhaps it does put the administration's claim that it is all S&P excel spreadsheet skills that are at fault, in a slightly different light.
Links at site.

Senator John Kerry (D-MA), appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday, blamed Republicans and in particular Tea Party intransigence for the unprecedented S&P downgrade of U.S. credit from AAA to AA+.

"I believe this is without question the Tea Party downgrade," he said. "This is the Tea Party downgrade because a minority of people in the House of Representatives countered the will of even many of Republicans in the United States Senate who were prepared to do a bigger deal."

Kerry intimated that the "grand bargain" that President Obama initially negotiated with House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), a package of larger spending cuts and revenue increases, was scuttled by a smaller group of Republicans who were unwilling to negotiate at any cost.

"There were some people in the Republican party - and Mitch McConnell even admitted this - who wanted to default," Kerry said. "He said there were people in his party who were willing to shoot the hostage. In the end they found that the hostage was worth ransoming."

No. Some of the TPers are disappointed they didn't get the ransom AND get to shoot the hostage.

This is going to hurt the economy and they're going to blame Obama.

No. Some of the TPers are disappointed they didn't get the ransom AND get to shoot the hostage.

Obama is teflon, he can't be blamed.

TODDI (The Other Dude Did It)

Yes, Obama and all politicians will be blamed for this, as well they should.
Just like Bush was blamed for things that happened on his watch...it goes with the job.

But to have the first S&P downgrade in American history? tsk, tsk. I wouldn't want to be the president to have that as his legacy.

So let me get this straight. The folks that suggested we learn to live within our means by NOT taking on more debt are to blame for a downgrade cause by too much debt. Got it.

Just like Bush was blamed for things that happened on his watch...it goes with the job.

But to have the first S&P downgrade in American history? tsk, tsk. I wouldn't want to be the president to have that as his legacy.

You seem gleeful.

You seem gleeful.

He does, doesn't he.

So let me get this straight. The folks that suggested we learn to live within our means by NOT taking on more debt are to blame for a downgrade cause by too much debt. Got it.

:eusa_shhh:

You're interrupting a good liberal excuse-0bama-and-blame-others-fest....

And now Fannie and Freddie have fallen. Seriously,why haven't Barney Frank & Chris Dodd been arrested yet?

You seem gleeful.

He does, doesn't he.

I get tired of people like you who make every excuse for a community organizer that is at best bush league. I'm not gleeful....just like to place the blame properly, you on the other hand pass the buck for the president....speaks volumes about your bias. tsk, tsk

You seem gleeful.

Seems that your messiah and his merry men are trying to pass the buck once again.....this DOES fall on Obama's shoulders along with all the politicians. Deal with it.

Pointing fingers at somebody else and casting blame instead of talking about what needs to be done to correct the situation. I remember something about change, well that part hasn't changed.

You seem gleeful.

He does, doesn't he.

It must be weird, to go to the paper every day, hoping for bad news.

The depths of conservatives' hatred for Obama is a crazy thing. I've never been able to wrap my head around it.

By the way, Treasury rates are down today. The S&P downgrade is meaningless.

Pointing fingers at somebody else and casting blame instead of talking about what needs to be done to correct the situation. I remember something about change, well that part hasn't changed.

The administration will never do what needs to be done. Because what needs to be done is immediate and severe spending cuts. If he does that he admits the Tea Party is right. His pride will keep him from doing what's right.

I certainly would not want to be the 1/2 majority of the lower house in Congress that caused it by forcing the deal to the last two days before default, scaring the American public and the world.

The Tea Party continues to fall down the polls in unpopularity.

Congress falls down the polls far worse than the president, who is not doing well himself.

Forum List

Back