Memorial Day 2010

My brother found letters that were written from the Phillipine Islands from my great uncle to my great grandparents. He was shot in the throat from 12' away when he was 19 yrs. old. I thought Memorial day would be a great day to sit on the porch and read them.

My brother found letters that were written from the Phillipine Islands from my great uncle to my great grandparents. He was shot in the throat from 12' away when he was 19 yrs. old. I thought Memorial day would be a great day to sit on the porch and read them.
I'm so sorry to hear about your great uncle, Conspiracist. Sitting on the porch reading his letters sounds like a great way to honor and remember him.

:)

How will you be remembering those who have died in our nations service?

Visiting the grave of a loved one?
Attending or participating in a Memorial Day parade?
BBQ with family and friends?
Working?

Looks like our President will be vacationing in Chicago.

Obama will use Memorial weekend for a trip home to Chicago

Vice President Biden and his wife will appear in Obama's place at Arlington National Cemetary.

I cannot believe that. What a rude thing for him to do. Is it too much to ask that Obama show respect for the fallen service men and women on Memorial Day??

veteran1.png

Maybe Mr. Obama is showing them respect by NOT showing up? Better I guess, they may not want this 'incompetent' around where our true hero's and patriots are buried anyway.

I certainly don't regard veterans laying at rest in Chicago's national cemetery as being less deserving of our thanks and gratitude than those in Arlington. Am glad Obama will be paying his respects.

Well, this may be easier to do as Bullet comments.

Last Saturday Myself and 5 other American Legion members placed American Flags on the Graves of veterans in 2 Cemeteries. Some of the Veterans had fought in the Civil war.

Since then I have re-walked the cemeteries to make sure we didn't miss anyone.

This coming Saturday We will go to a neighboring town to an Old folks home and conduct a Memorial Ceremony for them to include a sing along of old patriotic songs and a 21 gun salute.

On Monday, memorial Day we will conduct ceremonies in the two Cemeteries. which will include a marching band and one of our County Commissioners as a guest Speaker. We will fire a 21 Gun Salute at both cemeteries. then we will conduct a flag Ceremony at the Village hall and host a luncheon for anyone who cares to attend.

I hang a great big American flag, and take the dirty looks from all of the liberal neighbors for doing it. Then call or leave messages for every family member currently in the service and say thank you.

I am also going to raise a new US Flag on my flagpole that morning. I am iching to do it now, but I will wait for that special day
Note to self: buy a new bracket for your flagpole today!!!

I was just saying to my girlfriend next door, that I think I'll get out all my July 4 decorations ( mostly flag stuff ) this weekend in honor of Memorial Day and in prep for my favorite holiday!

We have two brackets on the front of our house for flags. One is for the American flag and the other for the US Navy flag. I wanted to also hang out the "Stars and Bars" from my part of the country but the wife says if I do, I have to move out... Damned yankees. If she wasn't so sweet I'd be heading back to Dixie.

Last Saturday Myself and 5 other American Legion members placed American Flags on the Graves of veterans in 2 Cemeteries. Some of the Veterans had fought in the Civil war.

This coming Saturday We will go to a neighboring town to an Old folks home and conduct a Memorial Ceremony for them to include a sing along of old patriotic songs and a 21 gun salute.

On Monday, memorial Day we will conduct ceremonies in the two Cemeteries. which will include a marching band and one of our County Commissioners as a guest Speaker. We will fire a 21 Gun Salute at both cemeteries. then we will conduct a flag Ceremony at the Village hall and host a luncheon for anyone who cares to attend.

you're a great guy, Ollie. Wish I knew you in person.

you're a great guy, Ollie. Wish I knew you in person.

I do no more than a couple of million other Veterans on memorial Day. But thank you.

You would think they would do a little research before making stupid assumptions. It took me less than five minutes.

"You'd think these folks would have better things to gripe about. And Obama is not retreating on Memorial Day. (What president would?) Instead of visiting Arlington cemetery, Obama and the first lady will participate in a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Ill., about 50 miles south of Chicago. Moreover, not every president has spent Memorial Day at Arlington. In 1983, President Reagan was at a summit meeting, and the deputy secretary of defense -- not even the veep! -- placed the wreath. Nine years later, President George H.W. Bush passed off the wreath to Vice President Dan Quayle (who had used family connections to get a slot in the National Guard during the days of the Vietnam War draft). And in 2007, Vice President Dick Cheney took on the wreath mission, while President George W. Bush was in Texas, perhaps clearing brush."

The Right Wing's Memorial Day Attack on Obama

:salute:

SFC Ollie ... I salute you!

I am also going to raise a new US Flag on my flagpole that morning. I am iching to do it now, but I will wait for that special day
Note to self: buy a new bracket for your flagpole today!!!

I was just saying to my girlfriend next door, that I think I'll get out all my July 4 decorations ( mostly flag stuff ) this weekend in honor of Memorial Day and in prep for my favorite holiday!

We have two brackets on the front of our house for flags. One is for the American flag and the other for the US Navy flag. I wanted to also hang out the "Stars and Bars" from my part of the country but the wife says if I do, I have to move out... Damned yankees. If she wasn't so sweet I'd be heading back to Dixie.

Damned yankees?
:eek:
Do you have any idea who's thread your comment is in?
:lol:

You would think they would do a little research before making stupid assumptions. It took me less than five minutes.

"You'd think these folks would have better things to gripe about. And Obama is not retreating on Memorial Day. (What president would?) Instead of visiting Arlington cemetery, Obama and the first lady will participate in a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Ill., about 50 miles south of Chicago. Moreover, not every president has spent Memorial Day at Arlington. In 1983, President Reagan was at a summit meeting, and the deputy secretary of defense -- not even the veep! -- placed the wreath. Nine years later, President George H.W. Bush passed off the wreath to Vice President Dan Quayle (who had used family connections to get a slot in the National Guard during the days of the Vietnam War draft). And in 2007, Vice President Dick Cheney took on the wreath mission, while President George W. Bush was in Texas, perhaps clearing brush."

Reagan, Bush I, Bush II and Cheney are all wretched thieves and liars as well, IMO. The factoid that a President's absence at Arlington has happened before should have been stated, I agree. But we are involved in TWO WARS, both of which Obama promised during his campaign for office that he would end.

I'd appreciate it if he'd spend a few minutes with the families of the fallen, since now their blood is also on HIS hands. I think it shows a lack of respect for a US President to look upon Memorial Day as a "long weekend". Even if that President is a Democrat.

I will say, though, I do appreciate the First Lady's efforts to recognize and support the sacrifices of Military families. I don't wish to tag Michelle with the "un-patriotic" brush...just her husband.

Michelle Obama and Military Families | The American Prospect

michelle-military-families.jpg

:eusa_shhh: dont interupt the hate fest ranting ass conservatives with facts

I don't believe Obama not going to Arlington cemetary is a big deal at all. No matter where you are honoring those that gave their lives for this country makes no difference.

I too have been guilty of nitpicking on many occasions. It's not worth the effort to nitpick this imho.

Just returned from our first ceremony this weekend. The people at the Assisted living house were very appreciative. We had the 21 Gun salute, with our own bugler playing taps, we presented one of the residents with his plague honoring his 60 years as a member of our American Legion Post. And of course our Bugler played to the colors as we raised the flag from half staff at the end of the ceremony.

Everything was perfect except for one command to the firing squad where we were given the command left face while at Order Arms. Just can't do that very well. LOL I think I'll be taking over the Firing squad commands.

Forum List

Back