Meet the Chicago woman who rented hotel rooms for homeless people during polar vortex

What has made you such a heartless bastard, or have you always been this way?

I was apparently a very cheerful toddler, but I can vividly remember by kindergarten being a card harder, harsher and less pleasant person. It’s only gotten worse in the last 40 years.

I have a full facial port wine stain and the complications of Sturge Weber Syndrome. I spent 7 years of my youth on large quantities it Phenobarbital. By the time I was 10 I wasn’t just the smallest, slowest, and weakest person in my class, but already falling behind my 2 & 3 year younger brothers as well. Add the emotional trauma of what it’s like being around people when you have an obvious deformity and that should give you a good idea why I have no like, never mind love for people.

I was apparently a very cheerful toddler, but I can vividly remember by kindergarten being a card harder, harsher and less pleasant person. It’s only gotten worse in the last 40 years.

I have a full facial port wine stain and the complications of Sturge Weber Syndrome. I spent 7 years of my youth on large quantities it Phenobarbital. By the time I was 10 I wasn’t just the smallest, slowest, and weakest person in my class, but already falling behind my 2 & 3 year younger brothers as well. Add the emotional trauma of what it’s like being around people when you have an obvious deformity and that should give you a good idea why I have no like, never mind love for people.

Ah. In other words you've been unfortunate in the past and your way of dealing with it is to stomp around the room crying "everybody's a stupid idiot" to all manner of people in the present who had no part in the past.

Let us know if that ever works.

This is amazing. I know a bunch of people who don't have the wherewithal to organize a trip to an ice cream parlor.

Local businesswoman Candice Payne knew the frigid temperatures were deadly, so she took action.
Feb. 3, 2019, 7:41 AM PST / Source: TODAY

By Ronnie Koenig

Candice Payne, a Chicago real estate broker, is being hailed a hero after helping more than 70 homeless people get out of the blistering cold in Chicago's South Side and into a nearby hotel.

After thinking about the homeless population outside while the city experiences record sub-zero temperatures, she picked up the tab for the rooms, getting help from her friends who shuttled them, Payne said.

"No one wanted them, but one hotel, the Amber Inn, was nice enough to allow me to buy the rooms," Payne today TODAY. With the help of strangers who saw her post on social media, she was able to rent almost 60 rooms for a total of five nights.

Chicago woman rents over 30 hotel rooms for homeless in dangerous cold
I understand that Chicago asked its churches to open up for the homeless during this....most didn't.
It is wonderful to find a hero in a nation that now allows everyone to carry a gun and sends people who carry water to people in the desert to jail.

It is wonderful to find a hero in a nation that now allows everyone to carry a gun and sends people who carry water to people in the desert to jail.

We have to carry the guns BECAUSE OF the people who are carrying water to illegals and doing crap like this in Chicago.

It is wonderful to find a hero in a nation that now allows everyone to carry a gun and sends people who carry water to people in the desert to jail
Those aren't mutually exclusive things. Not even related. You can be able to defend your own life and 5he lives of other innocent people from predators and still show compassion for the less fortunate. In fact, the two things I mentioned ARE related.

It is wonderful to find a hero in a nation that now allows everyone to carry a gun and sends people who carry water to people in the desert to jail
Those aren't mutually exclusive things. Not even related. You can be able to defend your own life and 5he lives of other innocent people from predators and still show compassion for the less fortunate. In fact, the two things I mentioned ARE related.

I uh, think the point there was that it's reassuring that a country with a gun/death fetish still has some better angels IN SPITE OF that fetish.

In other words "there's hope".

But we keep pretending that there are these hoards of people that we have to protect ourselves against, using guns. When these "dangerous" people are no more present than they were 50 years ago.

This is amazing. I know a bunch of people who don't have the wherewithal to organize a trip to an ice cream parlor.

Local businesswoman Candice Payne knew the frigid temperatures were deadly, so she took action.
Feb. 3, 2019, 7:41 AM PST / Source: TODAY

By Ronnie Koenig

Candice Payne, a Chicago real estate broker, is being hailed a hero after helping more than 70 homeless people get out of the blistering cold in Chicago's South Side and into a nearby hotel.

After thinking about the homeless population outside while the city experiences record sub-zero temperatures, she picked up the tab for the rooms, getting help from her friends who shuttled them, Payne said.

"No one wanted them, but one hotel, the Amber Inn, was nice enough to allow me to buy the rooms," Payne today TODAY. With the help of strangers who saw her post on social media, she was able to rent almost 60 rooms for a total of five nights.

Chicago woman rents over 30 hotel rooms for homeless in dangerous cold
I understand that Chicago asked its churches to open up for the homeless during this....most didn't.
What would be wonderful is if the people with the guns shot the people carrying water in the desert.

What you went through is absolutely horrible.

What you went through is absolutely horrible.

It is what it is. I learned to survive, and it has given me a very deep insight into the darkness of people’s hearts. Nothing will ever change that.

Dude.....................you can survive a crappy childhood and still come out the other side with a decent attitude towards your fellow man rather than all the seething hatred you appear to have.

I know, my childhood sucked too. My biological father divorced my mother shortly after I was born, and she married a guy in the Air Force. After a couple of years, she decided that his throwing me down the stairs and other abuse wasn't worth it, so she divorced him and married a car salesman who was even worse. Not only did he physically and mentally abuse me, he did all that and more to my half sister, as well as beat the hell out of my mother on a regular basis. She got tired of that after a couple of years, and sent me and my half sister to live with my aunt and uncle in MT while she got divorced (he had threatened to kill her and us kids if she divorced him). Well, she got divorced, and was heading up to pick up my sister and myself and she had a car wreck. She lived for a week in the hospital and then died. This had all happened by the time I was 8.

Then, my Grandparents took custody of us for a couple of years, then had us placed in foster care where we were at for the next 4 or 5 years, until I decided that I didn't like being in foster care and ran away back to my Grandparents. I lived with them until I graduated and joined the military.

Yeah, I get it........................life can suck some times, and there can be some pretty dark people in our lives, but that is no reason to end up a bitter old person with zero compassion for anyone else.

Dude... you can survive a crappy childhood and still come out the other side with a decent attitude towards your fellow man rather than all the seething hatred you appear to have...

Yeah, I get it... life can suck some times, and there can be some pretty dark people in our lives, but that is no reason to end up a bitter old person with zero compassion for anyone else.

You think this was simply a childhood issue? Oh no. This has been almost 45 years of seeing the darkness of the human heart to the point where I can detect it in a minor facial expression and body language. I return to Society what Society has offered me - Absolutely Nothing.

Dude... you can survive a crappy childhood and still come out the other side with a decent attitude towards your fellow man rather than all the seething hatred you appear to have...

Yeah, I get it... life can suck some times, and there can be some pretty dark people in our lives, but that is no reason to end up a bitter old person with zero compassion for anyone else.

You think this was simply a childhood issue? Oh no. This has been almost 45 years of seeing the darkness of the human heart to the point where I can detect it in a minor facial expression and body language. I return to Society what Society has offered me - Absolutely Nothing.

Hey, it starts at childhood dude. I know, because of the messed up one that I had, and to tell you the truth, from age 18 to around age 30, I walked around with armor like a Sherman tank, and people even told me that I was impossible to hurt, because I was emotionally unavailable. They were right. I never cried, and I never got hurt, because I had learned how to shield myself from any possible pain. I thought that I had already endured enough for a lifetime, as I had already been through more at 20, than most people see by 50.

But, then a friend of mine told me something that kinda opened my eyes. He told me that yeah, since I am so well armored, nobody can hurt me. But, he also told me that I could never feel the warmth of friendship either, as it was impossible to get to me emotionally.

He was right. I spent several years working on myself, trying to see if I could somehow lower the walls I had spent 30 years building. And, when I finally allowed myself to trust and like people again, I knew I would get hurt sometimes, but I also knew that there would be friendships that I would build, that would become priceless.

Not telling you what to do or how to do it, just telling you a small part about me. Granted, you can't get hurt if you wear a suit of armor, but you can't get a friendly hug either.

Hey, it starts at childhood dude. I know, because of the messed up one that I had, and to tell you the truth, from age 18 to around age 30, I walked around with armor like a Sherman tank, and people even told me that I was impossible to hurt, because I was emotionally unavailable...

...Not telling you what to do or how to do it, just telling you a small part about me. Granted, you can't get hurt if you wear a suit of armor, but you can't get a friendly hug either.

I built that armor much earlier in life. I have few friends, even to this day. I don’t believe in love. I’ve learned to accept missing the hugs to ensure no e of them come with a knife to the back. We both know the armor only stops so much and the squishy bits inside take more damage than we prefer to admit. I’ve made my bed and I’m willing to lay in it to the end.

Forum List

Back