'Medicine and Evolution, Part 4: Physicians seduced by “intelligent design” creationism'

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
From 2006 and inspired by a senator, but directly applicable to Dr. Ben Carson today.

Medicine and Evolution, Part 4: Physicians seduced by “intelligent design” creationism

"In fact, ever since our illustrious Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who also happens to be a Harvard-educated cardiac surgeon, came out in favor of teaching “intelligent design” creationism alongside evolution in public school science classes back in August, I’ve been meaning to write a bit about a tendency that, as both a surgeon and a scientist, I find disturbing. That tendency is for physicians to be far more susceptible than one would think they should be to the siren call of the pseudoscience known as “intelligent design.” Far more often than should be the case, physicians are vocal proponents of ID and are presented as authorities by creationists. I’ve touched on this topic before obliquely, but this time, impelled by PZ‘s and Tara‘s mention a couple of months ago of an article that appeared in Science explaining the importance of the theory of evolution to modern medicine, I’d like to take it on a bit more directly, particularly because it fits in perfectly with my Medicine and Evolution series."

a bit more, like reams more :)

I never met a physician seduced by creationism-----surgeons are surgeons----not
physicians. In the past barbers did it. I have known lots of physicians who
considered neurosurgeons to be------poorly evolved specimens. It is TECHNICALLY difficult stuff------but the fact is that its just one gelatinous
blob and just about all one can do with its diseased part is CUT IT OUT-----
an always control the bleeding and pray for NO SPASM

Evolution theory is for arrogant people who think they designed themselves.
ID is just Respun/stealth Kweationism due to Legal decisions.

Intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intelligent design is the assertion that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection."[1]
It is a modern form of the traditional teleological argument for the existence of God, but one which AVOIDS Specifying the nature or identity of the designER.[3] The idea was developed by a group of American creationists who Reformulated their argument in the creation–evolution controversy to Circumvent court rulings that prohibit the teaching of creationism as science.[4] Intelligent design's leading proponents – all of whom are associated with the Discovery Institute, a politically conservative think tank[7] – believe the designer to be the God of Christianity.[9]

Advocates of intelligent design seek to fundamentally Redefine Science to accept Supernatural explanations, arguing that intelligent design is a scientific theory under this new definition of science.
[12] The Unequivocal consensus in the scientific community is that intelligent design is NOT science.[13] The U.S. National Academy of Sciences has stated that "creationism, intelligent design, and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life or of species are NOT science because they are not testable by the methods of science."[17] The U.S. National Science Teachers Ass'n and the American Ass'n for the Advancement of Science have termed it Pseudoscience.[18] Others in the scientific community have concurred, and some have called it Junk science..."

Overview
The term "intelligent design" came into use after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the 1987 case of Edwards v. Aguillard that to require the teaching of "creation science" alongside evolution was a violation of the Establishment Clause, which prohibits state endorsement of a religion. In the Edwards case, the Supreme Court had also held that "teaching a variety of scientific theories about the origins of humankind to school children might be validly done with the clear secular intent of enhancing the effectiveness of science instruction".[24] In drafts of the creation science textbook 'Of Pandas and People', almost all derivatives of the word "Creation", such as "Creationism", were Replaced with the words "intelligent design".[21] The book was published in 1989, followed by a "grass-roots" campaign promoting the use of the book to teach intelligent design in high-school biology classes...."​
`

Last edited:
Evolution theory is for arrogant people who think they designed themselves.

Have read this 5 times now and still don't know what it means. But since you seem to read a lot of my threads will let it go. :)

delta dawn------some of the nuttiest docs I have known have been Harvard people.
I once went to a conference at 'THE HARVARD MED PLACE' ----weird------
the lecture hall looked like something from the Spanish Inquisition. we sat on
hard plain wood planks----------for HOURS--------then got something like 20 minutes
------"go find something to eat"---(I had never been in Boston before in my life) ----
"be back on time" (in time for what------the lecture, itself was mind numbingly
boring) -----the puritanical way of life drives them mad

Forum List

Back