MD to drop out of Electoral College?

My state is run by idiots

Clearly. When I finish my move down there, we will need to change that.

Are you sure you will be able to afford it? It seems that several democrat liberal run states (like Maryland) are looking for more ways to raise taxes, to cover their financial irresponsiblity of an already inflating spending debt under the illusion they are actually to be seen as "boosting" the economy.

Last edited:
Read the law, they need to get approval from the DOJ before they change anything.

I see the law.

It requires clearance by a federal court before laws can be made that affect voting and eligibility to vote.

It does not mention anything about what Texas then does with it's electoral votes.

Any attempt to restrict what an individual state does with its electoral votes would be specifically unconstitutional.

In fact, I believe the federal "preclearance" law is probably unconstitutional in the first place.

Certainly minorities could sue the state in question to rid themselves of laws that discriminate, but to demand "preclearance"? That's just wrong.

And yes, I'm a liberal (for the most part) and I'm saying that.

Since the majority of minority voters live in large population states, the opposite would in fact be true.

Minority voters are currently disenfranchised by the electoral college, and would be less disenfranchised by a majority vote.

It doesn't matter. It's not in the interests of most states, so it will never become law.

O'malley is an idiot. Moron wants to raise the state gas tax by like 25 cents per gallon.

He's only doing that to try and create a stronger opposition over the issue, then he can sell the voters the concept of raising the sales tax yet again (what he RALLY wants to do). It makes his preferred choice sound "easier to swallow" and leaves O'Malley with the image that he is really a good Governor who is looking out for the concerned voter. It's an old Democrat strategy of overstepping to an extreme in an attempt to stir a big controversal outcry, in order to achieve their true political goal under the appearance of showing compassion through compromise (notice how Obama is also using this with the free contraception coverage and religious freedom outcry). It's amazing how many in their own party still manage to fall victum to "settling for the overall best interest of the state" while refusing to see the rising costs of their representatives actions are really costing taxpayers overall. It's similar to the concept of slowly turning up the heat of a large pot over simply dropping a lobster into scolding hot water, one is just easier to accept but still leaves you screwed in the end.

Last edited:
I honestly think that this is not an agreement.

If you asked me to do something, and I said I would if you did it, would you think we had an agreement, or would you think it mostly wasn't one?

One state is not asking another state to do something. This is not an agreement between states.

Good one, keep telling yourself, and everyone else, that, Repeat it often enough and it will be true.

What's happening in Maryland? On Tuesday, Maryland became the first state in the union to drop out of college. The electoral college, that is.

Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley signed a law that would award the state's electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote. As long as others agree to do the same. "Actually, Maryland will drop out only if a lot of other states do, too. Maryland's new law will go into effect only if enough states pass similar laws to total 270 electoral votes -- the number needed to elect a President," O'Malley said.

Dropping out of the electoral college - CNN

LOL What complete fools.

What's happening in Maryland? On Tuesday, Maryland became the first state in the union to drop out of college. The electoral college, that is.

Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley signed a law that would award the state's electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote. As long as others agree to do the same. "Actually, Maryland will drop out only if a lot of other states do, too. Maryland's new law will go into effect only if enough states pass similar laws to total 270 electoral votes -- the number needed to elect a President," O'Malley said.

LOL What complete fools.
Why don't they just suceed from the Union while they are at it?

Are you sure you will be able to afford it? It seems that several democrat liberal run states (like Maryland) are looking for more ways to raise taxes, to cover their financial irresponsiblity of an already inflating spending debt under the illusion they are actually to be seen as "boosting" the economy.

I live in Maryland, and I'm going to bail at the first possible moment. I don't know how anyone can stand to live in this people's republic. When I move to Florida, I'm going to save about $700/month on state and local income taxes. Also, housing in Florida is much much cheaper. I figure I'll be putting $1500 in the bank every month instead of just getting by like I am now.

One more thing: the weather sucks here. It rains or snows about 5 times a week. You almost never see the sun.

LOL What complete fools.

No kidding.........True Democracies fail, and we have managed to move closer with the senators. Now this...........I wonder whats next.

I live in Maryland, and I'm going to bail at the first possible moment. I don't know how anyone can stand to live in this people's republic. When I move to Florida, I'm going to save about $700/month on state and local income taxes. Also, housing in Florida is much much cheaper. I figure I'll be putting $1500 in the bank every month instead of just getting by like I am now.

One more thing: the weather sucks here. It rains or snows about 5 times a week. You almost never see the sun.

How do you tell it is summer in Maryland?

The rain gets warm.

I was stationed in MD for close to 2 years. I agree, it does kind of suck. That doesn't change the fact that what they are doing in this case is right, however.

I like to call Baltimore "the armpit of the East coast)

Last edited:
Good one, keep telling yourself, and everyone else, that, Repeat it often enough and it will be true.

A wisecrack is not a response. And it is true. The Maryland legislature did not consult with any other state or enter into a compact to do this. That the law only goes into effect if similar laws are enacted by others does not make this an agreement in violation of that clause of the Constitution.

In fact, you are seriously stretching the meaning of the word "agreement" in that clause, which doesn't even cover informal agreements between states (not that this law is one of those, either). The only thing it prevents is an enactment of such an agreement in state legislation, e.g. if California and Oregon were to pass laws requiring each state government to buy goods and services only from the home state or the other state.

Here, look at this: "The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress . . ."

U.S. Constitution, Article V (emphasis added). Now I ask you, how could the state legislatures of 2/3 of the states call for a constitutional convention without some degree of informal collusion among them? Obviously, then, that kind of ad-hoc and de-facto cooperation is not what the clause you referred to is intended to forbid.

LOL What complete fools.

No kidding.........True Democracies fail, and we have managed to move closer with the senators. Now this...........I wonder whats next.
let them become thier own independent country and go with what they think is best for thier people under the flag of a true Democracy...and watch the people leave in droves except for the exceptionally hard-headed or the perpetually stupid...for they will have found thier long-awaited Utopia.:eusa_whistle:

A wisecrack is not a response. And it is true. The Maryland legislature did not consult with any other state or enter into a compact to do this. That the law only goes into effect if similar laws are enacted by others does not make this an agreement in violation of that clause of the Constitution.

In fact, you are seriously stretching the meaning of the word "agreement" in that clause, which doesn't even cover informal agreements between states (not that this law is one of those, either). The only thing it prevents is an enactment of such an agreement in state legislation, e.g. if California and Oregon were to pass laws requiring each state government to buy goods and services only from the home state or the other state.

Here, look at this: "The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress . . ."

U.S. Constitution, Article V (emphasis added). Now I ask you, how could the state legislatures of 2/3 of the states call for a constitutional convention without some degree of informal collusion among them? Obviously, then, that kind of ad-hoc and de-facto cooperation is not what the clause you referred to is intended to forbid.

There is a national organization that is lobbying for states to change the law, and they have gotten a number of states to write laws that do so on the condition that enough states actually doing it will trigger them doing it. The fact that all the laws are so similar is enough to tell anyone that looks that there is an agreement.

By the way, there are movements to call for a constitutional convention. My understanding is that a couple of them are close to having enough states sign on, but a few fear mongers go around opposing it and saying that the convention could propose anything, even totally rewrite the constitution. If you actually paid attention to politics you might be aware of that, and would not have to waste time trying to make me look like an idiot. More importantly to you, I would hope, you wouldn't look like one yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_applications_for_an_Article_V_Convention

Last edited:

Forum List

Back