McLaughlin Group ends

Treeshepherd

Wood Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2014
Endor
The McLaughlin Group on PBS was my favorite news program. I say 'was’ because John McLaughlin died earlier this month at the age of 89. He hadn't missed an episode of his weekly program since its beginning in 1982, surpassing William F. Buckley (Firing Line) as the most enduring talk show host ever.

Each week the panel would include two liberals and two conservatives. Libertarian Pat Buchanan was a mainstay since I can remember. Sitting next to him used to be Tony Blankley, former Reagan speechwriter and press secretary for Newt Gingrich. They replaced him with another Brit after his death. Always across the table sat liberal reporter Eleanor Clift. In recent years the 4th member was be Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune or Mort Zucherman, owner of NY Daily News and U.S. News and World Report.

Just a half-hour political food fight between some interesting personalities. It was something that grew on me since the age I became interested in politics.

The McLaughlin Group on PBS was my favorite news program. I say 'was’ because John McLaughlin died earlier this month at the age of 89. He hadn't missed an episode of his weekly program since its beginning in 1982, surpassing William F. Buckley (Firing Line) as the most enduring talk show host ever.

Each week the panel would include two liberals and two conservatives. Libertarian Pat Buchanan was a mainstay since I can remember. Sitting next to him used to be Tony Blankley, former Reagan speechwriter and press secretary for Newt Gingrich. They replaced him with another Brit after his death. Always across the table sat liberal reporter Eleanor Clift. In recent years the 4th member was be Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune or Mort Zucherman, owner of NY Daily News and U.S. News and World Report.

Just a half-hour political food fight between some interesting personalities. It was something that grew on me since the age I became interested in politics.

I agree it's sad to see it go. They were always civil to each other, even though McLaughlin seemed like the surliest angriest uncle you ever met. I remember watching this in the early 80s, time has just gone by.

I watched it for a long time but finally couldn't take the nonsense of Eleanor Clift and Evan Thomas anymore.

Have they officially announced it is ending?

A couple years ago McLaughlin had an offer from someone who wanted to buy his show and have him groom a successor. But he declined and made his wishes known that the lights would go out after his passing.

A couple years ago McLaughlin had an offer from someone who wanted to buy his show and have him groom a successor. But he declined and made his wishes known that the lights would go out after his passing.

He may not be the one who gets to decide...well you know what I mean. If he left his rights to the show, assuming he owned it to someone, they would get to decide if PBS gave them the option. Really the show could go on essentially the same with a different name as well.

He may not be the one who gets to decide...well you know what I mean. If he left his rights to the show, assuming he owned it to someone, they would get to decide if PBS gave them the option. Really the show could go on essentially the same with a different name as well.

He owned the show. Buchanan stepped in to moderate the last episode (last Friday). As Jim always said, "bye bye"

Yes it was a great show. All sides given. And they were civil to each other. Ol man McLaughlin was a bundle of energy for his advanced age. The media would do well to bring this back with a similar group of opinionators.

Forum List

Back