The Drive to Become ‘Fox News Famous’ Hurts the Right

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
From "The Conservative Bible", National Review.

The Drive to Become ‘Fox News Famous’ Hurts the Right

*snip*

The problem goes well beyond this cocoon effect, into the very moral and intellectual heart of the conservative movement. Like any human enterprise, Fox is filled with a wide variety of people — some good, some bad. But it is, at heart, a commercial endeavor, rather than an intellectual or spiritual one. Its fundamental priority is to make money, not to advance a particular set of ideas or values in public life.

To be clear, one of the ways that it makes money is through a very deliberate strategy of counter-programming the mainstream media. But that is an economic determination far more than an ideological one, which means that Fox’s priorities will never exactly match the conservative movement’s.

Yet such is the power of Fox fame that I’ve seen with my own eyes conservative leaders alter their message and public priorities in response to Fox’s demands. “Fox isn’t interested” is a statement that often shuts down conversations and ends public campaigns before they begin, because if Fox is interested, the conversation never ends.

Ever wonder why conservatives talk so much about Benghazi almost four full years after the vast majority of the key facts of that tragic engagement became clear? Because Fox remains interested. I’m not ascribing nefarious motives to Fox executives. They know their audience and they play to it. Conservative leaders and conservative politicians should likewise be savvy enough to know the limitations of the network’s reach: It doesn’t speak to a majority; it speaks to a bubble. But such is the allure of the community within the bubble that a person can’t help but walk through its gates.

The result is a world in which many individual conservatives just keep failing up. Fox is the place where you can nurse grievances over failed arguments. It’s the place where you can make money after failed campaigns. Do you wonder why the GOP had 17 presidential primary candidates? In part because there were actually two primary contests — the race for the nomination and the auditions for Fox.

In 2008, Mike Huckabee won by losing — not by making a strong electoral showing and positioning himself for the next contest, but rather by demonstrating enough charisma to land his own show on Fox. Here was a form of victory through continued influence and enhanced fame. If you couldn’t win the election, you could still be a contributor. You could still write a book. You might even get a show. So why not run? You’d probably lose the election, but you might gain a time slot.

Fox News went on the air in October 1996. Since that time, the GOP has won the popular vote for president exactly once: in 2004, by a whopping 2.4 percent. If Hillary Clinton wins in November, as appears likely, the GOP will have lost the popular vote in five of the six presidential elections since Fox broke the liberal media monopoly.

In the six presidential elections before Fox, the GOP won four landslides. The reasons for the change are complex, and we certainly shouldn’t overstate the influence of any given media outlet. But prior to 1996, a politician could truly succeed only by going to the American people through the media outlets they actually watched, which encouraged communication that persuaded those who weren’t true believers.

The conservative movement is a victim of Fox’s success.

*snip*

pppfffftttt Who really cares?

"The conservative movement is a victim of Fox’s success."

No, the conservative ‘movement’ is its own worst enemy, having little to do with Fox.

Indeed, Fox is but a symptom of what’s wrong with the conservative ‘movement.’

In fact, ‘conservative movement’ is an oxymoron; conservativism is inherently static, reactionary, and hostile to change.

And there’s nothing ‘new’ about conservativism, fear of change diversity, and dissent is as old as civilization itself, where conservatives attempt – and invariably fail – to return to an idealized past that never actually existed to begin with.

When Clinton wins this November the GOP will have lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections not because of Fox, but because a majority of the American people have wisely and appropriately rejected the fear and hostility toward change and diversity that is the conservative ‘movement.’

I don't see any of this as some sort of movement. Generally you have liberals, conservatives and Independents. It has always been this way.
Nothing new. Never will be either.

On this board alone....how many minds have been changed, and people switched over their beliefs?

NONE of any of this has to do with FOX or any other news channel. Most have minds of their own.
The main difference I see here (and other places) is how nasty we all are acting toward one another.

I do not get why some liberals seem so scared of FOX though.

Rupert Murdoch, owner of Fox is a Knight of Malta, has a seat on the CFR, a member of the Committee of 300. He is chummy with the heads of the other 5 conglomerates that control 90 percent of the watered down "news" that you get and they belong to the same exclusive clubs. It is time for the people to wake up and smell the coffee. Knowledge is power........

These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America

I don't see any of this as some sort of movement. Generally you have liberals, conservatives and Independents. It has always been this way.

On this board alone....how many minds have been changed, and people switched over their beliefs?

NONE of any of this has to do with FOX or any other news channel. Most have minds of their own.
The main difference I see here (and other places) is how nasty we all are acting toward one another.

Not the least bit afraid of Fox, but you should be.

Bulldawg SEZ?????? "You should be listenin' to leftard news and peoples like that Rachal Madow because she will always tale you da truth due you here me due you???" That fox news thing will not tale you about how grate leftardism is and thats wear it is at due you here me due you???"

Bulldog, seriously (and I say this with total conviction) I awake every morning and say a prayer to God with heartfelt feelings of total thanksgiving that I am not a stupid pile of shit like you. It's a friggin' BLESSING that only by the grace of God was I able to avoid being a clueless pile like you. You are the epitome of the term "There but the grace of God, go I"......

Bulldawg SEZ?????? "You should be listenin' to leftard news and peoples like that Rachal Madow because she will always tale you da truth due you here me due you???" That fox news thing will not tale you about how grate leftardism is and thats wear it is at due you here me due you???"

Bulldog, seriously (and I say this with total conviction) I awake every morning and say a prayer to God with heartfelt feelings of total thanksgiving that I am not a stupid pile of shit like you. It's a friggin' BLESSING that only by the grace of God was I able to avoid being a clueless pile like you. You are the epitome of the term "There but the grace of God, go I"......

Did you come up with that diatribe yourself, or did the voices in your head help you? I'm sorry, but I just can't take anything that the conspiracy theory king says seriously.

Did you come up with that diatribe yourself, or did the voices in your head help you? I'm sorry, but I just can't take anything that the conspiracy theory king says seriously.

I know more than you and I kick your ass every time you cross my path....and even times that you don't. You are a "lightweight". Hope this helps!!!!

I know more than you and I kick your ass every time you cross my path....and even times that you don't. You are a "lightweight". Hope this helps!!!!

If you say so. Why don't you take your toys and go play now. Adults are talking.

If you say so. Why don't you take your toys and go play now. Adults are talking.

If true, that would totally leave you out of the equation.

?? Why? Because you say so? I have no reason to be afraid of any news program.

Decameron: Dynasty

It's interesting to note how media perspectives can reveal something about the connection between culture and politics (e.g., The People's Court).

I try to follow the intellectual abilities of female sports-casters on the NFL Network such as Alex Flanagan. Culture gives us windows into American bias.

ALEX FLANAGAN

alex-f.jpg

pppfffftttt Who really cares?
People interested in politics.

I fully realize that there are members here who could care less about politics, or learning about how politics works, or expanding their knowledge about anything that contradicts what they want to believe. Those people probably shouldn't click on my links.

NONE of any of this has to do with FOX or any other news channel.
I disagree. There are a great number of FOX viewers who refuse to watch anything other than FOX for their news, and only go to Right-Wing websites for online content. This echo chamber effect hardens positions. It's gotten to the point where Right-Wingers reject the whole concept of compromise. As the article lays out, this results in Republican politicians taking the most extreme positions, because they can get "FOX famous". They get short-term gains, but in the long run lose national elections because they are no longer capable of influencing the majority of the nation.

Dale hasn't been the same since the aliens abducted him to conduct their anal probes.

NONE of any of this has to do with FOX or any other news channel.
I disagree. There are a great number of FOX viewers who refuse to watch anything other than FOX for their news, and only go to Right-Wing websites for online content. This echo chamber effect hardens positions. It's gotten to the point where Right-Wingers reject the whole concept of compromise. As the article lays out, this results in Republican politicians taking the most extreme positions, because they can get "FOX famous". They get short-term gains, but in the long run lose national elections because they are no longer capable of influencing the majority of the nation.

Do you watch FOX??

If a fox has rabies and alone with you in the woods, yes. If its a TV show that you can choose not to watch NO.

for some reason Libs seem to be quite afraid, could they possibly be confusing the two?

If a fox has rabies and alone with you in the woods, yes. If its a TV show that you can choose not to watch NO.

for some reason Libs seem to be quite afraid, could they possibly be confusing the two?

Notice how I don't get an answer when I ask if someone watches FOX?

Notice how I don't get an answer when I ask if someone watches FOX?

Yes, it's been quite a while now. I think they over estimate the power of the Fox. There's a lot of editorializing going on there but I think most people can pick out what is news and what is opinion. it's not that difficult. I havnt watched really in years because its not part of my tv package, but i do know they have guests with opposing views. Like every other news station, they choose to leave some information out and this is where some of the bias comes from also, but I dont think people need to be afraid of it. All this is just another attempt to control what we see and hear as well as the lefts complaints of talk radio. maybe they want to take us back to the days of the host reading a teleprompter and no interaction.

Forum List

Back