McDonalds Introduces Self Serving Kiosks in Response to Min Wage Increase

I guarantee you that none of the RWnuts here noticed that the story is not a news story, it's an editorial.

I'll let you go look and see who authored this opinion piece. lol

Considering none of the food is fresh or whole and is purely processes automation could toss it together.

The most often cited case involved a kid purchasing a Nolan Ryan rookie card from an unknowledgable clerk for twelve dollars instead of twelve hundred. Despite the fantasies, you can't purchase a cherry 1960's corvette out of barn from a naive widow for a few hundred dollars. For a transaction to be legit both parties have to operating from a somewhat equal position. That includes knowledge as to the value of the product involved. That especially holds true if the buyer holds themselves out as some kind of expert, like the pawn shop owner or the antique dealer. But like the mentioned case, it even holds true if you are a snot nosed little kid with a subscription to Beckett.

Taking advantage of the elderly does apply especially if they are swindled out of their item. But other than that, if a seller is willing to sell an item at a posted price, then there is nothing they can do later if they find out the purchaser got too good of a deal.

A person that works at one of my stops was swindled out of 35K--her life savings. She's not a very attractive woman who was desperate for male companionship. When her friend found out, she marched her right to the police station. The police said the guy broke no law. He asked her for money, and she willingly gave it to him.

Since the 15 min wage isn't going to be nationwide any time soon, you and your link are fucking stupid.

Nothing stupid about it since Democrat cities and states either adopted that minimum wage or are trying to.

You're stupid. MacDonald's would replace a 1 dollar per hour worker with a 99 cents per hour machine if they could.

Correct, they would if they could. But automation is a huge investment, and the only way it pays off is if it saves money compared to human labor.

And, as a business, MacDonald's is a mess:

All-day breakfast can’t fix everything at McDonald’s

I cant figure out how they have any employees paying minimum wage....here in PA you can go to any grocery/retail store and start at $9.00-$10.00 an hour...our minimum wage is $7.25

I worked in a burger joint for one month and that was a damn nightmare.....impossible to get the smell of the fryers out of your clothing.

I cant figure out how they have any employees paying minimum wage....here in PA you can go to any grocery/retail store and start at $9.00-$10.00 an hour...our minimum wage is $7.25

I worked in a burger joint for one month and that was a damn nightmare.....impossible to get the smell of the fryers out of your clothing.
I've never worked at a fast food joint in my life.

I have, however, worked in a cafe, both at the boarding school I attended, and then again in college. I had a decent time.

Would be no loss if all McDonalds stores shut down.

Don't have to worry about that. McDonald's will be here long after you and I are both gone. I see where your mindset is at thinking that the closing of huge companies that provide hundreds of thousands of jobs is a good thing.

I am not sure we can call McDonald's a net positive to the economy. I am pretty sure we can make a reasonable argument that McDonald's takes more from the economy than she contributes. Of course we have to add the cost of public subsidies provided to employees of McDonalds. If they didn't get their food stamps, their Medicaid for the kids, their daycare subsidies--they couldn't afford to work at McDonalds. But there is much more. The health care costs have to be astronomical, on the children alone. After what happened in China I am surprised they are still allowing McDonalds there.

But the one that really gripes me concerns those damn fries. One dollar, one dollar for every single damn pound of them. That is what it costs taxpayers to provide the water to grow the special potatoes required to make those damn fries. Who knows how many pounds they throw away every single day. Might as well stock taxpayer provided dollar bills in the restroom stall.

And don't get me started on Golden Foods, the provider of most of McDonald's overpriced products. Yes, way overpriced to the franchisee, who must purchase from them. The price they pay that is over the real market value of the product is what is called economic rent. It is unearned income. It does not contribute to the economy, it drains it. It does not occur in a "free market". That "cost" to the economy must also be added to the calculation. When you add it all up it I am not coming up with a positive contribution to the economy.

That is the counter argument to increased minimum wages: most places don't pay minimum wage because they can't find workers at that rate.

Don't have to worry about that. McDonald's will be here long after you and I are both gone. I see where your mindset is at thinking that the closing of huge companies that provide hundreds of thousands of jobs is a good thing.

I am not sure we can call McDonald's a net positive to the economy. I am pretty sure we can make a reasonable argument that McDonald's takes more from the economy than she contributes. Of course we have to add the cost of public subsidies provided to employees of McDonalds. If they didn't get their food stamps, their Medicaid for the kids, their daycare subsidies--they couldn't afford to work at McDonalds. But there is much more. The health care costs have to be astronomical, on the children alone. After what happened in China I am surprised they are still allowing McDonalds there.

But the one that really gripes me concerns those damn fries. One dollar, one dollar for every single damn pound of them. That is what it costs taxpayers to provide the water to grow the special potatoes required to make those damn fries. Who knows how many pounds they throw away every single day. Might as well stock taxpayer provided dollar bills in the restroom stall.

And don't get me started on Golden Foods, the provider of most of McDonald's overpriced products. Yes, way overpriced to the franchisee, who must purchase from them. The price they pay that is over the real market value of the product is what is called economic rent. It is unearned income. It does not contribute to the economy, it drains it. It does not occur in a "free market". That "cost" to the economy must also be added to the calculation. When you add it all up it I am not coming up with a positive contribution to the economy.

Unless McDonald's changed something from years ago, I disagree.

The only requirement of their franchise is that you make a big mac taste like a big mac. Other than that, you are not forced to buy products from any certain place to make that big mac. Of course most franchises get a better discount dealing with who McDonald's has contracts with. But not a requirement.

Government subsidies should be limited to people that can't work--not people that don't make enough. But McDonald's doesn't have any control over that, politicians do, and it's up to them to cut those subsidies--not McDonald's.

I also call bullshit. The same person that takes your order brings you your food. How would an automated order system reduce staff?

You order and pay through the kiosk.The food is prepared in the kitchen and is delivered to the customer from the kitchen without the need of cashiers and someone to hand you the food.

McDonalds, Panera, Wendy's, and Hardee's are all moving to use locations with significantly less employees.

Wendy's CEO commented: ""We've been able to create some efficiencies on labor across the restaurant ... like customer self-order kiosks, mobile order, and mobile pay," Penegor said. Kiosks could possibly "mitigate any of the inflation" seen on the wage front for Wendy's, and could for other chains as well."

Andy Puzder, the CEO of Carl's Jr. and Hardee's, is convinced. "If you're making labor more expensive, and automation less expensive - this is not rocket science."

Bullshit! Kitchen employees don't deliver food.

The bottom line is companies don't want to reduce the quarterly record profits they're making.

Yep, that's exactly it. Why should they?

Because it's the responsible thing to do.

Nobody opens up a business to do what you consider responsible things. Nobody opens up a business to create good paying jobs. Businesses open up and stay open to sell products or services for a profit. Nobody uses their own money to open up a business to provide a social obligation.

Your stating we have a lack of moral responsibility in business? That's true.

The most often cited case involved a kid purchasing a Nolan Ryan rookie card from an unknowledgable clerk for twelve dollars instead of twelve hundred. Despite the fantasies, you can't purchase a cherry 1960's corvette out of barn from a naive widow for a few hundred dollars. For a transaction to be legit both parties have to operating from a somewhat equal position. That includes knowledge as to the value of the product involved. That especially holds true if the buyer holds themselves out as some kind of expert, like the pawn shop owner or the antique dealer. But like the mentioned case, it even holds true if you are a snot nosed little kid with a subscription to Beckett.

Taking advantage of the elderly does apply especially if they are swindled out of their item. But other than that, if a seller is willing to sell an item at a posted price, then there is nothing they can do later if they find out the purchaser got too good of a deal.

A person that works at one of my stops was swindled out of 35K--her life savings. She's not a very attractive woman who was desperate for male companionship. When her friend found out, she marched her right to the police station. The police said the guy broke no law. He asked her for money, and she willingly gave it to him.

Maybe a law wasn't broken. I wouldn't take the word of a cop. Most certainly, if a product or a service were involved, a visit to a lawyer might be rewarding, provided you can locate the deadbeat for service. Besides, a law doesn't have to be broken for their to have been damages that can be litigated.

Unless McDonald's changed something from years ago, I disagree.

The only requirement of their franchise is that you make a big mac taste like a big mac. Other than that, you are not forced to buy products from any certain place to make that big mac. Of course most franchises get a better discount dealing with who McDonald's has contracts with. But not a requirement.

Government subsidies should be limited to people that can't work--not people that don't make enough. But McDonald's doesn't have any control over that, politicians do, and it's up to them to cut those subsidies--not McDonald's.

Those must buy approved products from approved vendors. Dude, the franchisee doesn't even order the product. They send the inventory to corporate and they get what they send them. And they have to send them up to 35% of their sales, not profit, for the privilege.

i cant wait to see the robots working the drive thru

More than likely you will pull up to a kiosk and punch in your order, drive up to a vending like machine where you can put in your cash or card to pay for it, then proceed to the pickup window where you will be handed your food.

Fast food make profit on being fast and selling in volume. Self-ordering will hurt both.

Forum List

Back