McConnell says trump will sign bill....but then will issue National Emergency

If/when it happens, the courts will give us the latest state of the union in terms of checks and balances. If a President can declare an emergency exists where clearly none does and loot the treasury to simply satisfy a campaign promise, this opens the door to campaign promises being unteathered to any action by the Congress. Money allocated for specific purposes in the Congressional bills will be meaningless.

The courts will render themselves a 3rd branch or they will render themselves meaningless.

It will be fun to watch.

Yup....the next Democratic president will call a State of Emergency after the next school shooting and make assault rifles illegal....good for the goose....good for the gander....

Doubtful

You are probably right but....I am just trying to illustrate what this massive power grab could lead to.

The power of Presidencies have always been increased when Congress allows the Executive to overreach his authority.

“The Trump administration is framing the necessity of a southern border wall, in part, as a response to a national security emergency involving terrorists. This is a barrel of bunkum and balderdash served with generous helpings of hogwash.

… there is no terrorism emergency. 2018 saw one of the lowest yearly numbers of jihadist terrorism cases in the United States -- 14 -- since the 9/11 attacks, according to New America, a research institution that tracks terrorism.”

There is no national emergency - CNN

Trump’s rhetoric about an ‘emergency’ is a lie.

trump will NEVER be able to crawl out from his "Mexico will pay for the Wall" lie....

“The Trump administration is framing the necessity of a southern border wall, in part, as a response to a national security emergency involving terrorists. This is a barrel of bunkum and balderdash served with generous helpings of hogwash.

… there is no terrorism emergency. 2018 saw one of the lowest yearly numbers of jihadist terrorism cases in the United States -- 14 -- since the 9/11 attacks, according to New America, a research institution that tracks terrorism.”

His EO will be challenged by multiple organizations and he will lose in the courts....but

He will be able to tell his cult...."I TRIED!"

CNN. Corrupt News Network

Fallacy

If/when it happens, the courts will give us the latest state of the union in terms of checks and balances. If a President can declare an emergency exists where clearly none does and loot the treasury to simply satisfy a campaign promise, this opens the door to campaign promises being unteathered to any action by the Congress. Money allocated for specific purposes in the Congressional bills will be meaningless.

The courts will render themselves a 3rd branch or they will render themselves meaningless.

It will be fun to watch.

Yup....the next Democratic president will call a State of Emergency after the next school shooting and make assault rifles illegal....good for the goose....good for the gander....

Doubtful

You are probably right but....I am just trying to illustrate what this massive power grab could lead to.

The power of Presidencies have always been increased when Congress allows the Executive to overreach his authority.

Well, we still have a constitution and the TOBA is codified in the 2nd Amendment.
What isn’t codified is the length of presidential power to over-rule Congress by declaring a national emergency; much less looting the treasury to fulfill campaign promises that cannot be kept.

So any expenditure the Chief Executive feels is right and necessary can be brought to fruition by declaring emergency conditions. It could be declaring US coastal waters as National Parks and shutting down all drilling in those regions…there is nothing codified in the Constitution that protects offshore drilling. It could be passing cradle-to-grave national healthcare by re-allocating massive amounts of cash to taking care of the sick and elderly. It could be almost anything to do with the climate crisis.

One good thing is that we will likely never have another government shutdown over funding the government….

I can see it now, POTUS 46 tells the Congress, “Shit yeah, pass anything you want. Send it to me, I’ll sign it. Better yet, hold the phone, I’ll be up to the Hill in 5 minutes.” They go up there, sign the CR or budget or whatever, get back into the limo, declare a national emergency via Twitter, and head back to the White House. Five minutes later, they are in the Rose Garden, “My fellow Americans, I signed the agreement, the government will not shut down. Now, here is what I plan to do with your tax dollars.”

I doubt he will declare a national emergency.

I think he was making one last threat. I base this on nothing other than the following: He told Mitch McConnell. Why would he tell McConnell that except to make the threat public?

Once again republicans will fight like hell for an expansion of executive powers and then whine like little bitches if a democrat ever uses those powers.

His National Emergency won't cut the mustard, because instead of using Trump's bullshit reasons, facts will be used. Plus Congress can stop Trump's the National Emergency. Even though Trump thinks he is king, he isn't.
Then there will be multiple lawsuits if the Emergency goes through and then his attempt at eminent domain of hundreds of land owners. Oh boy.
I thought, real conservatives were very against eminent domain, that's a red line to conservatives.
Trump might have to live to be 90, to see his wall. :2up:

His National Emergency won't cut the mustard, because instead of using Trump's bullshit reasons, facts will be used. Plus Congress can stop Trump's the National Emergency. Even though Trump thinks he is king, he isn't.
Then there will be multiple lawsuits if the Emergency goes through and then his attempt at eminent domain of hundreds of land owners. Oh boy.
I thought, real conservatives were very against eminent domain, that's a red line to conservatives.
Conservatism is no longer anything more than what Trump says it is.

Once again republicans will fight like hell for an expansion of executive powers and then whine like little bitches if a democrat ever uses those powers.
Obungo already has. "I have a pen and a phone".

You forgot about the Supreme Court.

Do you actually believe that the Supremes are dumb enough or partisan enough, to buy all the proven to be bullshit that Trump has used to stir up his base?

Do you actually believe that the Supremes are dumb enough or partisan enough, to buy all the proven to be bullshit that Trump has used to stir up his base?
They may very well rule that the president has no burden of proof to declare a national emergency.

Trump didn't want our government workers to be held hostage by the demo leaders again. That is the big plus with this emergency on finishing the wall.

Finish the wall.
It's a 55 mile cyclone fence, you moron, not a fucking wall. LOL.

And the contractors who put it up will rip it back down when the idiot-in-chief tries to stiff them on it like he does in all his other business dealings.

Forum List

Back