McConnell Cannot Block Witnesses - Just Announced

You know, when this first started, Republicans were a united front in their support of Trump. Now? There have been people peeling off in their support, and Trump might not be sitting as good as he thinks.

I'm guessing that they are voting for witnesses so that the evidence can be presented. If it's damning enough, then Republicans will abandon Trump and he will be removed. Lots of Republicans don't like Trump, but they are scared of what they think he might be able to do to them politically.

If you followed the Nixon time, The House didn't have even enough votes to even say a sparse word against Nixon. But as time went by, the General Public Opinion turned sour on what was once the most Popular President ever in Office short of FDR and JFK. When it reached 56%, they had no choice. They were ready to vote for impeachment. Nixon saw it and resigned instead knowing he would be impeached. The funny part is, in the Senate (history shows) there wasn't enough support for removal of office. It's tough to impeach and remove a President because it's so dramatic and harmful to the Nation Nixon did what he thought was best for the Nation.

By saying that witnesses will simply be allowed. McConnell is not going to hold a vote that he will lose. Looks bad for all of them instead of just bad for Trump.

Sure there is going to a vote on whether or not to call witnesses. It's in the Impeachment Trial rules McConnell pushed through on a party-line vote.

The only thing, assuming the vote count doesn't change until then, is whether or not McConnell will get behind the majority calling for witnesses or not.

You know, when this first started, Republicans were a united front in their support of Trump. Now? There have been people peeling off in their support, and Trump might not be sitting as good as he thinks.

I'm guessing that they are voting for witnesses so that the evidence can be presented. If it's damning enough, then Republicans will abandon Trump and he will be removed. Lots of Republicans don't like Trump, but they are scared of what they think he might be able to do to them politically.

If you followed the Nixon time, The House didn't have even enough votes to even say a sparse word against Nixon. But as time went by, the General Public Opinion turned sour on what was once the most Popular President ever in Office short of FDR and JFK. When it reached 56%, they had no choice. They were ready to vote for impeachment. Nixon saw it and resigned instead knowing he would be impeached. The funny part is, in the Senate (history shows) there wasn't enough support for removal of office. It's tough to impeach and remove a President because it's so dramatic and harmful to the Nation Nixon did what he thought was best for the Nation.

Nixon was a slime but no one has ever accused him of being stupid. He was a brilliant politician and statesman and he knew where things were going. I also think he quit because the stress was literally killing him.

By saying that witnesses will simply be allowed. McConnell is not going to hold a vote that he will lose. Looks bad for all of them instead of just bad for Trump.

Sure there is going to a vote on whether or not to call witnesses. It's in the Impeachment Trial rules McConnell pushed through on a party-line vote.

The only thing, assuming the vote count doesn't change until then, is whether or not McConnell will get behind the majority calling for witnesses or not.

I seriously doubt that because he was one of the first ones to speak out against witnesses.

If Moscow Mitch could block witnesses, did that make Trump supporters think Bolton's claims would just go away? Voters in the next election will know what Bolton says whether it is said as a witness in the senate or not.
I have a tough time believing any of this matters to voters at this point. Trump is the most polarizing President in the history of historical histories, and I suspect people's minds are made up.
The key will be independent voters. Will they hold Republicans accountable for a cover up?

It’s going to be interesting. I want to hear what the Biden’s have to say. Look for a long long trial.
I still say McConnell should just keep the trial open until the democrats fold, desperate to get on the campaign trail.

YOU think that McConnell should keep the trial open for a long time. However, Trump wants the whole thing wrapped up by the time he has to do the State of the Union, which is coming up in a couple of weeks.

As far as them losing support? In Iowa, it doesn't appear to have made much of a difference. People know that they need to be back in DC, as they have said they value doing their job over being on the campaign trail, and will carry out the duties of the office they currently hold.
A sloppy trial will have more repercussions in November than Iowa

If Moscow Mitch could block witnesses, did that make Trump supporters think Bolton's claims would just go away? Voters in the next election will know what Bolton says whether it is said as a witness in the senate or not.
I have a tough time believing any of this matters to voters at this point. Trump is the most polarizing President in the history of historical histories, and I suspect people's minds are made up.
The key will be independent voters. Will they hold Republicans accountable for a cover up?

Will they hold democrats accountable for a kangaroo court?

Nixon was a slime but no one has ever accused him of being stupid. He was a brilliant politician and statesman and he knew where things were going. I also think he also quit because the stress was literally killing him.

We had a classified briefing in the Military for NCOs and Officers during those strange 3 days. It was decided by the Joint Chiefs to do a sit down until things were ironed out. A Sitdown means we won't go to war during that time until it's resolved. The training continues, the defense continues but just no new wars. I think this was another reason Nixon pulled the plug. Nixon really wasn't a threat during that time but you don't take any bets. Nixon knew he was on the ragged edge of sanity. And being as smart as he was, he did the right thing. Rump, on the other hand, I can't say as much. Be happy that the Military is run by a bunch of Doves instead of war loving hawks. We may get to see some sort of showdown in the last 2 or 3 months of this year and the beginning of next year.

Well sure new witnesses should be called after the game ended for the House. Participation snowflakes don’t have to abide by precedent or timelines when their feelings and suspicions are at stake.

I agree it does not matter, nobody will change their mind during this performance. But those in charge want it dragged out for a while longer, wonder what it is we are not supposed to pay attention to.

It was a perfect Impeachment

McConnell says he doesn't have the votes.

Three Democrat presidential candidates may be neutered. :10:

McConnell is the one that got neutered. If he doesn't have the votes, that doesn't hurt Democrats.

There is absolutely ZERO focus on Democrats.

Trump and Republicans are in a spotlight, under a microscope though.

drip...drip...drip

I agree it does not matter, nobody will change their mind during this performance. But those in charge want it dragged out for a while longer, wonder what it is we are not supposed to pay attention to.

The testimony will be judged by history and by voters in November

I think there is a lot more to be held accountable than that. And your "Hey, Look Over There" works less and less every day. Remember, when the Public Opinion for Nixon changed to 56% wanting him gone, the House was ready to impeach and Nixon resigned. Right now, Rump is sitting at 51% of the general population wanting him removed. A few months ago, that rating was 45% and it's just gets worse. When it hits 56% will Rump have the dignity of Nixon and resign? No, he's not equal to a pimple on Nixon's ass.

Looking all the tRumplings who are suddenly all about witnesses.

Well......we Republicans always look for a silver lining, unlike Democrats who constantly see doom and gloom everywhere.

Obama didn't see doom and gloom. Don't forget, he was all about
'Hope and Change' and things did get better with him as prez.

And things aren't better in this country under Trump? Trump is scoring points all the time with people, it's just a shame the MSM is so bias in scant reporting of them. Just yesterday. the SC ruled that Trump's green card policy can be put in place. It prohibits people applying for green cards from getting in and ending up on our welfare programs. You want to come here for work, school, whatever, you need to demonstrate you can financially take care of yourself and perhaps your family. Lord knows how many billions he saved us right there.

If that's so then McConnell fucked up very badly.

No more witnesses are needed here. But, I have to admit seeing Hunter, Joe and the Whistleblower have to testify under cross examination will be block buster TV.

Forum List

Back