Mayor Bans Nike Products From City Recreation Programs

Why not just make a list of government approved clothing brands? And if you wear other brands you go to jail?

And make a federal law requiring people to stand for the anthem. You could reward citizens for turning in their neighbors for not standing.

You're using patriotism as an argument against the patriotic. There's a root growing now for over two centuries out of the soil of America's beginnings. That root must never be pulled. It is the root of love of God and Country. Freedom is one thing; freedom free of sanctifying or honoring the sacrifice to win and keep freedom, and its associated symbols, is something else. Some thing not American. You also seem to be aboard the vessel who wants or expects absolute freedom without consequence. The consequence of kneeling will be hatred of the root endowment of our American way of life.
Why do people "love" countries? Can a country love you back? A union soldier returning home at the end of the Civil War wisely said "I loved my country but I`ll be damned if I`ll ever love another one". While I`m here and my children are here I want this country to be the best place it can be but I`m not having a love affair with this or any other country. I`m not in 5th grade anymore absorbing all that nonsense that the nuns filled me with.

Louisiana mayor prohibits Nike purchases for recreational programs: reports
Hope more mayors do the same, not to mention high school and college coaches and AD’s.

So it ok to protest something or someone as long as its ok for you. Its no different that what Colin K did.

It is completely different; could not be more different, Penny. Kaepernick (shames the name Copernicus) has inspired millions to tens of millions of our kids to believe sacrificing their love of country for a pair of shoes and a multi-million dollar shoe deal, is perfectly socially acceptable. During the 80's and 90's American kids wanted to "be like Mike". Now, thanks to shit birds like K, they want to kneel for our Anthem. If you loved America first, despite her many internal side-effects of freedpm, you would not preach a repetition of misinformation. We must be Americans first, every other divisive subgroup last. And lastly, how many young kids will now--thanks to K--think that hating law enforcement is justified. No, you've fallen for the brainwash.

Has nothing to do with the NA as you are aware, its about social injustice, being a female I know all about it.
Its is perfectly acceptable for Kaepernick to made a deal with a shoe manufacturer. A large maj of vets think that is what they fought for , the freedom to peacefully protest.

So this mayor , without even looking him up, I would imagine is a white Christian man out to get Nike for making Colin K a spokesperson in their ads, that is being a protestor.

Again, with the "majority of Vets think . . . "

Penny, I like and respect you. Right after I joined USMB you regularly visited my threads and gave me the gift of an opposing perspective; one which I needed to hear, even if I did not want to. I think you're a good person, from what I have read of your posts here on USMB.

That being said, here are a couple of examples--subjective and biased though they may be, of fellow Veterans neither hip to nor accepting of what Kaepernick is selling.

A close buddy of mine, a guy I have known for 36 years, who is a 23 year veteran of the Marine Corps, and who won two bronze stars during his three tours overseas and lost his baby brother--a Marine Captain helicopter pilot--to enemy fire in Iraq, has over 1700 friends on Facebook. The majority of those friends are currently serving or ex-military, and each of them also has hundreds of Facebook friend Veterans who in turn have hundreds of friends; we're talking tens of thousands of Vets.

From what I have seen browsing through his page and the pages and feeds of others, not one single Vet supports Kaepernick's so-called right to kneel for the Anthem or has expressed having fought for his "right" to do so. Penny, my buddy's brother? The one who died in Iraq in 2004? The military messed up and shipped someone else's remains back to his wife. She only found about the terrible mix-up after the remains that weren't her dead husband had been buried in Arlington NC. Of course, the whole situation had to be closed casket. Took my buddy weeks to convince her to exhume and rebury the right remains Now, Penny, do you really expect Combat Veterans like my buddy to support an NFL player's kneeling for the anthem? Do you really?

Sorry, I was going to give you some personal perspective, but it ain't happening.
Damn right...and Semp Fi

Every thing America holds dear tossed aside over a pair of shoes?????
Nope...over a self-promoting washed-up asshole. Kapernick was offered a contract with Denver...why didn’t he take it? Because he’s a pussified wimp that knew he would get his head ripped off by some DT or DE that is a vet or has kin that are...or ditto police department employees. Kapernick is the biggest pussy to ever play in the NFL.

This issue isn't over kneeling. This Op is over a Mayor overstepping his bounds.............

It is one thing to boycott and flame Kap.........because I've been flaming their asses off............it's another to order a ban on a product.........

That crosses the line, and is against the principles of the constitution.

Why not just make a list of government approved clothing brands? And if you wear other brands you go to jail?

And make a federal law requiring people to stand for the anthem. You could reward citizens for turning in their neighbors for not standing.

You're using patriotism as an argument against the patriotic. There's a root growing now for over two centuries out of the soil of America's beginnings. That root must never be pulled. It is the root of love of God and Country. Freedom is one thing; freedom free of sanctifying or honoring the sacrifice to win and keep freedom, and its associated symbols, is something else. Some thing not American. You also seem to be aboard the vessel who wants or expects absolute freedom without consequence. The consequence of kneeling will be hatred of the root endowment of our American way of life.
Why do people "love" countries? Can a country love you back? A union soldier returning home at the end of the Civil War wisely said "I loved my country but I`ll be damned if I`ll ever love another one". While I`m here and my children are here I want this country to be the best place it can be but I`m not having a love affair with this or any other country. I`m not in 5th grade anymore absorbing all that nonsense that the nuns filled me with.

“The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave but one'.... (The man who first said that) was probably a coward.... He knew a great deal about cowards but nothing about the brave. The brave dies perhaps two thousand deaths if he's intelligent. He simply doesn't mention them.”
~Ernest Hemingway

Hope more mayors do the same, not to mention high school and college coaches and AD’s.
Good for That mayor. Let's put Nike out of business.

Oh, no.......tiny Kenner Louisiana!

That's like dozens and dozens of shoes.
Spreading across Trumpland...that’s millions and millions and millions of dollars. That’s why you liberals lost in 2016. You narcissistic pussified metropolitan pajama boys overlooked the real Americans who do the work of this nation everyday...serve this nation in uniform everyday...and live in that awful place you calll “flyover country.”

I agree 100%

“The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave but one'.... (The man who first said that) was probably a coward.... He knew a great deal about cowards but nothing about the brave. The brave dies perhaps two thousand deaths if he's intelligent. He simply doesn't mention them.”
~Ernest Hemingway
Unlike the grandstanding phony Kapernick.

Spreading across Trumpland...that’s millions and millions and millions of dollars. That’s why you liberals lost in 2016. You narcissistic pussified metropolitan pajama boys overlooked the real Americans who do the work of this nation everyday...serve this nation in uniform everyday...and live in that awful place you calll “flyover country.”

And apparently want the gov't to decide what brands you can wear. And whether you can choose to be patriotic or whether you must show patriotism in the way it deems sufficient. That is about as unAmerican as it gets.

I have worked hard my entire life. I served this nation in uniform. And I despise those who would have the gov't enforce their decisions on what brands to wear. It is the cheapest form of fake patriotism. Patriots love the freedoms this country is based on.

LMAO! Like you put Keurig out of business? Or Dick's sporting goods? Or Starbucks? Or Target?

With sales up 31% and their stock prices already rebounded........you guys are kinda sucking at putting Nike out of business.

And apparently want the gov't to decide what brands you can wear. And whether you can choose to be patriotic or whether you must show patriotism in the way it deems sufficient. That is about as unAmerican as it gets.

I have worked hard my entire life. I served this nation in uniform. And I despise those who would have the gov't enforce their decisions on what brands to wear. It is the cheapest form of fake patriotism. Patriots love the freedoms this country is based on.
Kapernick is a disgrace. The council and mayor are expressing the opinion of the people that voted them in office.

Kapernick is a disgrace. The council and mayor are expressing the opinion of the people that voted them in office.

The council and the mayor are welcome to express their opinion by what THEY wear. They are not welcome to decide what brands cannot be worn at tax payer funded events. That is gov't meddling in the basest way. It is pandering in the lowest form. It is not patriotism. It is a petty power play to get attention.

Forum List

Back