Massive Antarctica ice sheet is cracking due to warming oceans

Now Silly Billy, all you ever offer is unsupported blurbs, with little meaning and no facts. The Arctic and Antarctic are both responding this year in a major way to the present warming.
:bsflag: Time to raise the Bull Shit flag..
Natural variation is all that is happening.. Tell me moron, where do iceberg's come from? They are naturally occurring too and come and go cyclically.. what we are seeing is nothing new..

Now why should anyone freak out about it? After all, if we see 10 feet of sea level rise before 2050, what possible harm can it do?
Name one prediction that the global warming demi-gods made that came true. Science doesn't involve ifs - those are conjecture. Science involves facts.

Obviously the Scientific Method is alien to the ZZ; being a good liberal I am always willing to help the ignorant, not so much interested in helping the helpless, i.e. the Willfully Ignorant.

• A hypothesis is a limited explanation of a phenomenon;
  • a scientific theory is an in-depth explanation of the observed phenomenon.
  • A law is a statement about an observed phenomenon or a unifying concept
The seminal moment in the development of the hypothesis began with the killer fogs in London, due to coal burning,

[ The Killer Fog That Blanketed London - History in the Headlines ]

and as observations of changes in the temperature of the oceans, glacial changes photographed from space and other biological and physical anomalies were noted, such as acid rain, the hypothesis of human activity having an impact on the air people and animals breath, the water they consume and the food eaten opened up the theory that coal and oil - which had replaced wood as energy sources - might have a larger and more egregious effect on the planet than ever before considered; thus the theory replaced the hypothesis.

No Scientific law has been reported that I'm aware of in Scientific Journals stating the human activity is the sole source of such anomilies. That said, the general reason for objecting to these facts was generated because the purveyors of coal and oil felt such a theory might impact the golden goose they owned. A full on propaganda effort went into producing the type of skepticism of crazy right wingers who simply echo such propaganda.

We keep posting the same things and keep asking for any of the repeatable lab experiments demonstrating the "link" between a few PPM of CO2 and "Warming" and we never get any experiments back, just predictions and models

All of their models and predictions have failed with 100% certainty..

All they have are lies at this point...

Would you like to offer evidence that the models are absolutely wrong? Do so, since every nation, state and city with coastal areas are preparing for a rise in the sea level and inundation of populated areas. What do you know that all of them do not? Post your resume (be sure to include the card given you when you joined the bureau of the crazy right wing's agency (i.e. the Echo Chamber).

Show me one model that has passed real world empirical review...

I'll Wait...

Now I know that a little pretender like you has no idea what three standard deviations means, but for those that do, that is well outside the natural variation when you have two simultaneous occurrences.

We have in Washington state an active volcano with a glacier in the crater. Seems ice and volcanoes are compatible. So I call bullshit on your hypothesis that the volcano is creating this breakup.

2A78307700000578-0-image-a-40_1436717621689.jpg

The Mount St. Helens' Crater Glacierhas been growing for decades in a horseshoe-shaped crater that was left on the mountain after the volcano erupted in May 1980

Read more: Mount St Helens in Washington is home to world's newest glacier The Crater Glacier | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2A78307200000578-0-image-a-41_1436717629339.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

+5
The Skamania County mountain's summit dropped 1,314 ft to a total 8,363ft, forming the hollowed-out crater that would become the perfect growing environment for the world's newest glacier

Read more: Mount St Helens in Washington is home to world's newest glacier The Crater Glacier | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

C'mon man.. Be realistic. Can't compare the environment of those 2 places. If 0.5degC is what triggers a mile high fracture of ice in the Deep Freeze, then your volcano in Oregon ought maybe to have 90% MORE ice coverage if it was not for vulcanism.

Honestly bud -- I'm not certain that the ice-experts really know the facts about PIGlacier. You and I have read the papers. They all start out with how little is known. So the honest appraisal -- is to keep all viable theories open. Isn't it???

From your OP --- -

Looks as if the scientists have been a bit conservative once again.

Hell no.. They just got the source of "WARM WATERS" wrong. This is NOT likely the ocean running UPHILL for 50 miles. It's likely that "WARM WATER" is running DOWNHILL -- towards the footing. Just the direction that Newton predicted it would travel.. :badgrin:
More bullshit. The water beneath the glacier is saltwater because the bottom of the glacier is below sea level.

Your crack is showing :lmao: ---- WAY dafuck inland dude. Not near the 700m deep sea footing.
Alternate hypothesis is building mass inland is causing the PIG to move. That's what glaciers do all day long.. You think all that creeping is supposed to go cleanly at the surface?

Now why should anyone freak out about it? After all, if we see 10 feet of sea level rise before 2050, what possible harm can it do?
Name one prediction that the global warming demi-gods made that came true. Science doesn't involve ifs - those are conjecture. Science involves facts.

Obviously the Scientific Method is alien to the ZZ; being a good liberal I am always willing to help the ignorant, not so much interested in helping the helpless, i.e. the Willfully Ignorant.

The seminal moment in the development of the hypothesis began with the killer fogs in London, due to coal burning,

and as observations of changes in the temperature of the oceans, glacial changes photographed from space and other biological and physical anomalies were noted, such as acid rain, the hypothesis of human activity having an impact on the air people and animals breath, the water they consume and the food eaten opened up the theory that coal and oil - which had replaced wood as energy sources - might have a larger and more egregious effect on the planet than ever before considered; thus the theory replaced the hypothesis.

No Scientific law has been reported that I'm aware of in Scientific Journals stating the human activity is the sole source of such anomilies. That said, the general reason for objecting to these facts was generated because the purveyors of coal and oil felt such a theory might impact the golden goose they owned. A full on propaganda effort went into producing the type of skepticism of crazy right wingers who simply echo such propaganda.

We keep posting the same things and keep asking for any of the repeatable lab experiments demonstrating the "link" between a few PPM of CO2 and "Warming" and we never get any experiments back, just predictions and models

Would you like to offer evidence that the models are absolutely wrong? Do so, since every nation, state and city with coastal areas are preparing for a rise in the sea level and inundation of populated areas. What do you know that all of them do not? Post your resume (be sure to include the card given you when you joined the bureau of the crazy right wing's agency (i.e. the Echo Chamber).

s0n........your signature discredits virtually every post you make on this board. Fringe sentiments are ghey. Certainly appears the big bumpy cucumber is deeply embedded and very obvious.:bye1:

Meanwhile, for we Echo Chamber skeptics........loving the winning!!:popcorn::popcorn: Munch!!

The climate "models" are laughable >> Friends of Science |

Hiatus confirmed as scientists finally admit climate model fail

Don't conform with actual observations!!:blowup:

ghey

Last edited:

s0n........your signature discredits virtually every post you make on this board. Fringe sentiments are ghey. Certainly appears the big bumpy cucumber is deeply embedded and very obvious.:bye1:

Meanwhile, for we Echo Chamber skeptics........loving the winning!!:popcorn::popcorn: Munch!!

The climate "models" are laughable >> Friends of Science |

Hiatus confirmed as scientists finally admit climate model fail

Don't conform with actual observations!!:blowup:

ghey

Thanks so much for sharing, kook, your opinions are especially valuable for they confirm nothing beyond your biases and prejudices. Time will tell, I hope you're correct and the seas don't rise and inundate populations around the world. Sadly, your predictions are based solely by emotion, and generally suggest you have a conflict of interest working in a field of polluters.

Show me one model that has passed real world empirical review...

I'll Wait...

NO! You made a claim, I asked a question, thus it is your job to prove your claim. Otherwise I am left to believe you are a fool and a liar. Prove that conclusion wrong, by answering the question!

From your OP --- -

Hell no.. They just got the source of "WARM WATERS" wrong. This is NOT likely the ocean running UPHILL for 50 miles. It's likely that "WARM WATER" is running DOWNHILL -- towards the footing. Just the direction that Newton predicted it would travel.. :badgrin:
More bullshit. The water beneath the glacier is saltwater because the bottom of the glacier is below sea level.

Your crack is showing :lmao: ---- WAY dafuck inland dude. Not near the 700m deep sea footing.
Alternate hypothesis is building mass inland is causing the PIG to move. That's what glaciers do all day long.. You think all that creeping is supposed to go cleanly at the surface?
Antarctic Ice Shelf Could Collapse Within 100 Years, Study Finds

Rifts usually form at an ice shelf's borders, where ice is thinner, Howat said. But the rifting in the Pine Island Glacier originated from the center, which implies that the ice shelf was already weakened at the center, likely by the warming ocean melting an ice crevasse at the bedrock level, he explained.

The bottom of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet also lies below sea level, which allows ocean water to intrude far inland and remain unseen, according to the researchers. This intrusion can create a "valley" in the ice shelf where ice thins. New valleys can be an outward sign of the ice melting at the bottom of the ice sheet.

"The really troubling thing is that there are many of these valleys further up-glacier," Howat said. "If they are actually sites of weakness that are prone to rifting, we could potentially see more accelerated ice loss in Antarctica."

Minimal research before flapping yap. Saves embarrassment.

From your OP --- -

Antarctic Ice Shelf Could Collapse Within 100 Years, Study Finds

Rifts usually form at an ice shelf's borders, where ice is thinner, Howat said. But the rifting in the Pine Island Glacier originated from the center, which implies that the ice shelf was already weakened at the center, likely by the warming ocean melting an ice crevasse at the bedrock level, he explained.

The bottom of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet also lies below sea level, which allows ocean water to intrude far inland and remain unseen, according to the researchers. This intrusion can create a "valley" in the ice shelf where ice thins. New valleys can be an outward sign of the ice melting at the bottom of the ice sheet.

"The really troubling thing is that there are many of these valleys further up-glacier," Howat said. "If they are actually sites of weakness that are prone to rifting, we could potentially see more accelerated ice loss in Antarctica."

Minimal research before flapping yap. Saves embarrassment.

What would be embarrassing would be to PANIC over the press releases and the media EXAGGERATIONS and not actually look at facts and data..

pine-is-glacier41.gif

There is the profile of PIGlacier. The shelf is the only part that should be EXPOSED to any type of seawater. It extends about 80 km and is where you'd EXPECT to find cracking and calving. Now THIS paper says that the UNDERLYING Ground support for the shelf maybe sinking at small rate. Thus increasing the forces on the mobile ice mass. The support for preventing Sea water intrusion at this foot has ALWAYS been VERY THIN and subject to intrusion.. OR outflow for that matter.

YET ANOTHER EXPLANATION -- not covered in the fairy tale media accounts of the science. AND IF there is a warming of the water under the shelf -- A LIKELY cause would be all that magma flow in around the footer.

Now what's YOUR theory again? That a 0.6degC in atmos temp is accelerating all this? And there is no other SCIENCE to do be done???

Last edited:
No, Mr. Flacaltenn, it is your orange clown that states that no further research should be done. On the contrary, more research should be funded.

:lmao:
q:100

When a giant (225 square mile) slice of Antarctica's Pine Island Glacier broke off in 2015, scientists wondered exactly what caused it. Well, they now have an explanation... and it's not very reassuring. They've determined through satellite imagery that the break started when a rift was formed at the base of the West Antarctica Ice Sheet, almost 20 miles inland, in 2013. Most likely, warming oceans intruded the sheet at the bedrock well below sea level, triggering cracks that gradually made their way upward. In other words, Antarctic ice could be much more susceptible to breaking up than it seems on the surface, and that separation may be happening faster than researchers expected.

There's still a lot left unanswered. The discoverers want to know just how these rifts get started, and determine their overall effect on the stability of ice shelves. That will require data collected from the air and on the ground, not just in space. And that may be difficult for US researchers when the incoming Trump administration appears bent on shutting down"politicized science" -- that is, anything which studies the causes of climate change. The US and UK are already teaming up on field research in the area, however, so they'll likely have more info regardless of long-term American science funding.

If the glacier break is a sign of things to come, it reinforces predictions that humanity is in for a rough ride as the Earth warms up. Scientists believe that the entire West Antarctica Ice Sheet is likely to collapse within the next 100 years, sending a massive volume of water into the sea. That would be enough to raise the global sea level by almost 10 feet and flood coastal cities. The newly analyzed satellite data suggests that the collapse could happen sooner than later, and possibly within your lifetime.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

No, Mr. Flacaltenn, it is your orange clown that states that no further research should be done. On the contrary, more research should be funded.

Oh I'm hoping LOTS of climate research gets funded. But just not the kind that EXPECTS tributes and fantasy Abstracts and Press Releases to support a political cause.. In fact -- I'm hoping that YOU get a substantial grant for doing REAL science someday.

Not much funding for volcanics in Eastern Oregon. Depends mostly on grad students and individuals funding their own efforts.

From your OP --- -

Antarctica Ice Shelf Is Breaking from the Inside Out

If Antarctica were not covered in ice, it would be a series of islands. That means much of the ice in the region is already under constant pressure from the ocean, as its movements dislodge the ice that covers the area between the land masses. Cracking is more likely to occur in the valleys located on the ice sheet, where the ocean is in closer contact with the ice, researchers found.

The currents off Antarctica are warmer and carry saltier water that encourages melting. The sea temperature is about 5 degrees Celsius, which is far warmer than the average surface temperature of minus 20 C. That causes a twofold vulnerability for the ice, because some of it is located underwater and because it is exposed to the warm sea around it.

Similar rifts have already been observed in Greenland, as the Arctic warms and ocean water flows along the bedrock, causing the ice to melt. The Pine Island Glacier and a similar-sized neighboring glacier are unique because they block ice flows from reaching the sea. That’s enough to keep about 10 percent of the ice sheet from toppling into the warmer water.

When a giant (225 square mile) slice of Antarctica's Pine Island Glacier broke off in 2015, scientists wondered exactly what caused it. Well, they now have an explanation... and it's not very reassuring. They've determined through satellite imagery that the break started when a rift was formed at the base of the West Antarctica Ice Sheet, almost 20 miles inland, in 2013. Most likely, warming oceans intruded the sheet at the bedrock well below sea level, triggering cracks that gradually made their way upward. In other words, Antarctic ice could be much more susceptible to breaking up than it seems on the surface, and that separation may be happening faster than researchers expected.

There's still a lot left unanswered. The discoverers want to know just how these rifts get started, and determine their overall effect on the stability of ice shelves. That will require data collected from the air and on the ground, not just in space. And that may be difficult for US researchers when the incoming Trump administration appears bent on shutting down"politicized science" -- that is, anything which studies the causes of climate change. The US and UK are already teaming up on field research in the area, however, so they'll likely have more info regardless of long-term American science funding.

If the glacier break is a sign of things to come, it reinforces predictions that humanity is in for a rough ride as the Earth warms up. Scientists believe that the entire West Antarctica Ice Sheet is likely to collapse within the next 100 years, sending a massive volume of water into the sea. That would be enough to raise the global sea level by almost 10 feet and flood coastal cities. The newly analyzed satellite data suggests that the collapse could happen sooner than later, and possibly within your lifetime.

Oh my Allah, guess it doesn't matter that Trump won, we ALL GUNNA DIE!!!!111!!!!

Oh my Allah, guess it doesn't matter that Trump won, we ALL GUNNA DIE!!!!111!!!!

No, with 400+ ppm of CO2 and 1800+ ppb of CH4, Trump being elected does not matter as far as those figures are concerned. What is already in the pipeline will happen. But if we add significantly more, which Trump has promised to do, that very much matters, for the consequences of those additions were avoidable.

No, with 400+ ppm of CO2 and 1800+ ppb of CH4, Trump being elected does not matter as far as those figures are concerned. What is already in the pipeline will happen. But if we add significantly more, which Trump has promised to do, that very much matters, for the consequences of those additions were avoidable.
I hope it does increase. The glacial cycles started when CO2 was at 400 ppm.

Not much funding for volcanics in Eastern Oregon. Depends mostly on grad students and individuals funding their own efforts.

Now there's an oversight that needs to get fixed. I'll lobby with you on that. Perhaps if all the money wasnt flushed into the GW threat -- we'd know a lot more BEFORE a Mt St. Helens explodes.. (Yeah I know that's not Oregon, but same deal)..

Forum List

Back