Massive Amtrak Crash....but who cares about our highways and trains?

Amtrak is run by government, are you saying government does a poor job running things?

Amtrak is not owned by the government, it has to work with the government and they are not succeeding in getting the funding that they need.

U.S. Senate Testimony: The Future of the Northeast Corridor
May 4, 2015

Testimony by Thomas K. Wright, President, Regional Plan Association, before the United State Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security on Passenger Rail Reauthorization, May 4, 2014

"....Compounding this problem, RPA expects the huge increases in regional rail travel we have experience over the last 20 years to continue. We are projecting up to 100 percent increase in travel through Penn Station, and a 50 percent increase in travel to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which will also be unable to handle future demand. Without the ability to accommodate this growth, the economies of both states will suffer.

Fixing this bottleneck is about far more than simply avoiding disaster. It’s about giving the nation’s largest metropolitan economies a chance to grow and keep pace with Shanghai, London, Paris and other world cities that are investing far more in their transit infrastructure."

This line, the Northeast Corridor, is a nightmare to ride. The rail system between D.C. and Boston hasn't been updated in over 60 years.

But bomb, bomb, bomb ....bomb, bomb Iran. Yeah baby! Defense spending trumps our own citizens' ability to get to work every day.

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck
(140 injured)

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck - WSJ
BN-IJ919_0513pa_P_20150513003151.jpg

The Chinese, French, Italians, Japanese, et al. are laughing at us.
large_article_im2631_China_Bullet_Train.jpg

Yes, because modern trains eliminate accidents....

This line, the Northeast Corridor, is a nightmare to ride. The rail system between D.C. and Boston hasn't been updated in over 60 years.
Who owns/operate this trackage?
Trackage? Who owns the highwayage? The riverage? The airwayage? LMAO.
So... you don't know. Thank you.

What is your point? Do you blame the government when an airplane crashes? When there's a highway accident?

What is your point?

Point? I asked a question.
Who owns/operates the tracks and the trains in the "NE corridor"?
You apparently do not know.
:dunno:

But bomb, bomb, bomb ....bomb, bomb Iran. Yeah baby! Defense spending trumps our own citizens' ability to get to work every day.

(140 injured)

Outstanding thread.

I currently live in the one country that has the most advanced train/tram/bus system in the western world: Germany.

98% of the country is covered by this form of mass-transit. And they sink a lot of money into keeping it up to date.

This is why I am often tapatalking between business appts. I am usually on a train or tram between points A and B. And it's cheaper than traveling by car.

You are absolutely right about this point. We Americans are lagging severely behind in the area of public transit.

I live 40 minutes outside NYC but the damn train system is so bad that it takes over 2 hours to get to Penn Station. The trains rock badly on the tracks, there's been no updating of the rails and beds for decades. So excess speeds are a recipe for disaster. Amtrak's Acela is just scary to watch, much less ride.

I've taken the TGV in France several times many years ago, in the 90s, and the U.S. STILL hasn't caught up with Europe.

What is your point?

You are trying to look clever but you are actually coming off as very lazy and you probably don't like to read anything longer than a headline.
So sorry, shut up and read:

U.S. Senate Testimony The Future of the Northeast Corridor Regional Plan Association

What is your point?

If you are trying to make a point....why don't you just make it?

What is your point?
You are trying to look clever but you are actually coming off as very lazy and you probably don't like to read anything longer than a headline.
You don't need to get all upset that you don't have an answer to my question -- lots of people are ignorant.

What is your point?

If you are trying to make a point....why don't you just make it?

First he needs to rub the top of his head and find it....

Last time I mentioned our crumbling infrastructure I was derided for sounding like a broken record. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and....

Not to mention that all train traffic between Phila and NYC has been stopped since last night at 9:30. You shut down NYC and the country will come to a halt, too.

Yeah I say it's long past time to stop fighting Obamas endless bullshit wars and bring the troops home.

What is your point?
You don't need to get all upset that you don't have an answer to my question -- lots of people are ignorant.

Especially you.
And don't edit my posts to suit your responses.
Amtrak is not government owned, building and maintenance of the rails they run on are.
Delta, American and other airlines are not owned by the government, but building and maintenance of airports are.
Cars are not owned by the government but the building and maintenance of highways are.

Getting it yet?

(140 injured)

Outstanding thread.

I currently live in the one country that has the most advanced train/tram/bus system in the western world: Germany.

98% of the country is covered by this form of mass-transit. And they sink a lot of money into keeping it up to date.

This is why I am often tapatalking between business appts. I am usually on a train or tram between points A and B. And it's cheaper than traveling by car.

You are absolutely right about this point. We Americans are lagging severely behind in the area of public transit.

I live 40 minutes outside NYC but the damn train system is so bad that it takes over 2 hours to get to Penn Station. The trains rock badly on the tracks, there's been no updating of the rails and beds for decades. So excess speeds are a recipe for disaster. Amtrak's Acela is just scary to watch, much less ride.

I've taken the TGV in France several times many years ago, in the 90s, and the U.S. STILL hasn't caught up with Europe.

The reason the Northeast Corridor sucks is that it is the only profitable route that AMTRAK runs. Rather than putting money to improve the line it is used to maintain Congressionally mandated lines that are losing money

What is your point?
Amtrak is not government owned, building and maintenance of the rails they run on are.
So the government owns the rails and the cars. Thank you. You could have simply said so to begin with.
Why aren't these passenger lanes serviced by private companies, like the NS, CSX and the smaller regional railroads?

(140 injured)

Mr. Nutter said a “black box” data recorder aboard the train had been recovered and is being analyzed at an Amtrak facility in Delaware. He said it was too soon to speculate on the cause of the accident.

In other words; You Are A Lying PIle of Shit that is using the deaths of innocent people to push your agenda.

vile fucking leftist filth

you seem angry.

I think Two Thumbs has one firmly up her @ss.

Note that absolutely no rightie will address the Chinese high-speed train image I posted. None of them. Cluck-cluck...
Your right. Because we don't support living on 2 yen a year and eating gruel from a bowl because our government has decided we're less important than showing a good image to the world.

Nice try.

What is your point?

Especially you.
And don't edit my posts to suit your responses.
Delta, American and other airlines are not owned by the government, but building and maintenance of airports are.
Cars are not owned by the government but the building and maintenance of highways are.

Getting it yet?

Yep. We get that you are an utter loon.

(140 injured)

Outstanding thread.

The reason the Northeast Corridor sucks is that it is the only profitable route that AMTRAK runs. Rather than putting money to improve the line it is used to maintain Congressionally mandated lines that are losing money

Yup, the traffic between NYC and DC is their profit. Especially since regional flying has become such an incredible hassle. LaGuardia really is a total dive and impossible to get to JFK is buggered by I-495 traffic. Newark isn't bad if you live in NJ.

(140 injured)

Mr. Nutter said a “black box” data recorder aboard the train had been recovered and is being analyzed at an Amtrak facility in Delaware. He said it was too soon to speculate on the cause of the accident.

In other words; You Are A Lying PIle of Shit that is using the deaths of innocent people to push your agenda.

vile fucking leftist filth

you seem angry.

I think Two Thumbs has one firmly up her @ss.

Note that absolutely no rightie will address the Chinese high-speed train image I posted. None of them. Cluck-cluck...
Your right. Because we don't support living on 2 yen a year and eating gruel from a bowl because our government has decided we're less important than showing a good image to the world.

Nice try.

All European and Asian countries have our rail system beat by 50 years. But nice try.

Forum List

Back