My Opinion Is

• This is a good and necessary thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its been 200 years since slavery, move on

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • With the hurting economy its unwise to do this at the current time

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Blacks really need to let their love of the slavery card go. Until then there will be no advancement between whites and blacks. Not when modern day blacks are constantly holding modern whites accountable for something that none of these blacks have ever experienced in seven generations and no white has been guilty of since the end of the Civil War. It divides and doesn't help anything.

I have lived in the deep south most all of my life.

Moving to New England about 3 years ago.

Believe me the amout of racism here is far worse here than in the south.

Except the racism in New England is hidden and kept low key.

Last edited:
In the south people who are racist are open about it.

You know, Confederate flags and all. But at least you know who is and who isn't.

In NE it's a different story. There is so much PC here that people hide their true feelings.

But when away from the ears of other races. Seem to really let their racism fly.

Rarely here do you see B/W interracial couples. In the south it is somewhat common.

In NE the neighborhoods seem to be very segregated. Not just by race, but even by differences within races.

I hired a young black man to work at a store I used to manage in Norwell. He had a criminal record and couldn't find work and I had warehouse trucks that needed to be unloaded quickly in the morning and couldn't find any able bodied people to pull the rugs and furniture off that early in the morning.

So I gave the young guy his 2nd chance and hired him, even with his felony record. Which, by the way, was awesome because he busted his butt for me every day and did a great job.

However all the older women (all women worked there besides me and some high school kids at night) were raising "concerns" about him. They got upset because when I gave him a specific job to do he wouldn't stop doing it to help them if they wanted help. And he was a large guy so he was physically intimidating to some people.

He never commented about it to me but I know more than once I got the impression that they were nervous purely because he was black. In fact the only person out back that seemed to respect my decision to hire him was my receiving manager, she would come to me anytime someone gave him a hard time to defend him. She respected his hard work as I did.

With me skin color has no bearing on it, he worked hard so no matter what anyone said he wasn't going anywhere.

I remember when I gave my notice that I was leaving he was very upset. He said he didn't want to work there with the other people if I wasn't there. He did stay however and I told him if he left to use me as a reference.

These same women also treated the Brazilian woman I hired like crap. They used to make her do all the work when I wasn't around instead of letting her do her job.

Ugh.

Last edited:
Thanks for the story Pilgrim.

In the south, people of different races have interacted with each other for generations.

Sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a not so good way.

But they were around each other.

Here in NE most everyone identifys by country of origin.

So you have Irish neighbohoods, Italian neighbohoods, Hatian ones, Portaguse, Dominican, etc.

I don't see alot of interaction between them, especially those of different races.

Am I wrong about this?

Last edited:
Massachusetts considers slavery-era disclosure law | The Living Consequences

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/186/ht03pdf/ht03148.pdf

Massachusetts state representative Byron Rushing has re-introduced his slavery-era disclosure law, “An Act Relative to the History of Slavery in the Commonwealth.”

Rushing’s bill would require companies doing business with the state to research and report their connections to slavery (and those of any predecessor companies) prior to 1889. The secretary of state, in turn, would use this information to publish a history of slavery and the slave trade in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts would become the fourth state, after Illinois, Iowa, and California, to pass a slavery-era disclosure law since 2000. Nine major cities have also passed ordinances requiring companies seeking to do business with the cities to reveal any ties to, and profits from, slavery. These cities include Berkeley, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Oakland, Philadelphia, San Francisco.

200 years let's get on with it

Forum List

Back