Mass. 2nd grader sent home for crucifix drawing

of course blacks always shout 'racism' at every possible chance

In our district, pics of guns and other "disturbing" images should be reported. There was nothing disturbing about this pic. I think it was nice that he was thinking of Jesus at Christmas. The teacher should have used her discretion and common sense.

"Johnson said the teacher became upset when his son said he drew himself on the cross."
So it now appears that this isn't even the picture which started the controvery, however a kid drawing a pic of himself crucified on a cross with his eyes x-ed out is a bit disturbing to me. Maybe Christians are so used to looking at Christ on a cross that they become inured to it, but I find it horrifying.

Aren't Christians supposed to be the ones who think desensitizing kids to violence is a bad thing?

Update. As I said, we were only getting one side.

Contrary to what has been reported, there was no request or assignment by the teacher for students to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas or any religious holiday. The inaccuracies in the original media story have resulted in a great deal of criticism and scrutiny of the system that is unwarranted.

In this case, as in any other case involving the well being of a student, the administration acted in accordance with the school department's well-established protocol. This protocol is centered upon the student's care, well being and educational success. The protocol includes a review of the student's records, discussions with staff, central administration, school psychologists and other community resources. Decisions were made only after this protocol had been completed, including a consultation with a veteran staff member with a background in clinical psychology and a Ph.D.

It is unfortunate that the actions of our district staff have been classified as "religious" in nature when, in fact, they were based solely on the well being of the student. At this time of year, Christmas is one of many religious and secular holidays. Taunton, known as The Christmas City, takes pride as a community in celebrating this Christian holiday together with Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and many others. In the school district, it is our goal to provide the opportunity for all students to be well-rounded, and it is our responsibility to help them attain their social, emotional and academic goals regardless of their religious affiliation.

Taunton Superintendent denies suspending student over drawing | NECN

I didn't read that. That's a different story. Maybe the teacher had seen other warning signs as well.

Not blaming you chanel, but it AMAZES ME how all these people just jump right in and say it's "Christian Bashing" and that "Damn Liberal Teacher" et al,,, when it was something by LAW the teacher had to turn in because it COULD BE a sign of abuse.

You mean kinda like the teacher(Kevin Jennings) who knew one of his MINOR male students was being screwed in the ass by a 40 year old man?.....that kinda sign?

Kevin Jennings is this kid's teacher? Really? I assume that's why you brought his name up.

And can you please provide proof of what you just accused him of doing, knowing about a minor boy being screwed by a 40 year old man and not doing anything. Or is that just something you read on some right wing blog.

Send him to a different school. Honestly (an no offense to the few teachers here who aren't retards) but are there any professionals in the education community with a single iota of common sense?

Paaaleeeezzzze. Common Sense?? There is none left.

Last time I heard the crucifiction is part of the story of Jesus. That teacher has to be an idiot or has never studied the story of Jesus. Mayby the teacher is an athhiest and just doesn't know or mayby the teacher is just an idiot.

Not blaming you chanel, but it AMAZES ME how all these people just jump right in and say it's "Christian Bashing" and that "Damn Liberal Teacher" et al,,, when it was something by LAW the teacher had to turn in because it COULD BE a sign of abuse.

You mean kinda like the teacher(Kevin Jennings) who knew one of his MINOR male students was being screwed in the ass by a 40 year old man?.....that kinda sign?

Kevin Jennings is this kid's teacher? Really? I assume that's why you brought his name up.

And can you please provide proof of what you just accused him of doing, knowing about a minor boy being screwed by a 40 year old man and not doing anything. Or is that just something you read on some right wing blog.

Kevin Jennings Releases Statement on Past Controversial Conduct

Send him to a different school. Honestly (an no offense to the few teachers here who aren't retards) but are there any professionals in the education community with a single iota of common sense?

Last time I heard the crucifiction is part of the story of Jesus. That teacher has to be an idiot or has never studied the story of Jesus. Mayby the teacher is an athhiest and just doesn't know or mayby the teacher is just an idiot.

Maybe the whole story was made up by the right wing media. Fox has been known to get it wrong before

I think "idiot" is the proper description in this case.

Fox News tirelessly advanced false accusation that Jennings covered up "statutory rape" | Media Matters for America

Mandatory reporter. If someone reports to you that they were molested as a child, and you know that person is still in the community, you're obligated to report it. Even if it was for crimes committed years back. If they're crimes against a child, as a mandatory reporter, you report it when you hear it.

Half the child molesters that are caught are caught because a kid grows up and tells someone, and there's an investigation..and voila, you find that a foster parent who has been fostering kids for 20 years has been molesting them all along.....

C'mon now EZ...don't make stuff up....you know exactly what I meant....and if you have selective memory regarding Kevin Jennings, the Schools Czar, just google his name and you will have all the information you need to make an informed judgement on what should be reported and what is pure bullshit.

Head of Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools Expresses Regret for Controversial Incident - Political Punch

anyone here keeping up knows Kevin Jennings isn't the kid's teacher.....

Last edited:

Fox News tirelessly advanced false accusation that Jennings covered up "statutory rape" | Media Matters for America

The kid was 16 not 15, what's your point?

See that part of the "Republican Noise machine?" That includes you with your faux concern for the kid.

Since I was of legal consent at the time, the fifteen-minute conversation I had with Mr. Jennings twenty-one years ago is of nobody's concern but his and mine. However, since the Republican noise machine is so concerned about my "well-being" and that of America's students, they'll be relieved to know that I was not "inducted" into homosexuality, assaulted, raped, or sold into sexual slavery.

In 1988, I had taken a bus home for the weekend, and on the return trip met someone who was also gay. The next day, I had a conversation with Mr. Jennings about it. I had no sexual contact with anybody at the time, though I was entirely legally free to do so. I was a sixteen year-old going through something most of us have experienced: adolescence. I find it regrettable that the people who have the compassion and integrity to protect our nation's students are themselves in need of protection from homophobic smear attacks. Were it not for Mr. Jennings' courage and concern for my well-being at that time in my life, I doubt I'd be the proud gay man that I am today.

- Brewster

Jennings' attorney stated in 2004 letter that student was 16, which is -- and was -- MA age of consent

But feel free to keep making something out of a situation that is long long solved.

Last edited:

That's how they justify the behavior of their own Lonestar logic....simple really..one set of rules for the ones who are not liberals and another set of rules for those who are.....in police circles or military circles when attacked they "circle the wagons"...same thing here. You can bet if Jennings was a Republican they would be SCREAMING to high heaven and calling for the impeachment of Bush even though he hasn't been President for almost a year.

Last edited:
Didn't Kevin Jennings write about that incident and admit to it in his very own book? How is that 'right wing' anything?

See that part of the "Republican Noise machine?" That includes you with your faux concern for the kid.

Since I was of legal consent at the time, the fifteen-minute conversation I had with Mr. Jennings twenty-one years ago is of nobody's concern but his and mine. However, since the Republican noise machine is so concerned about my "well-being" and that of America's students, they'll be relieved to know that I was not "inducted" into homosexuality, assaulted, raped, or sold into sexual slavery.

In 1988, I had taken a bus home for the weekend, and on the return trip met someone who was also gay. The next day, I had a conversation with Mr. Jennings about it. I had no sexual contact with anybody at the time, though I was entirely legally free to do so. I was a sixteen year-old going through something most of us have experienced: adolescence. I find it regrettable that the people who have the compassion and integrity to protect our nation's students are themselves in need of protection from homophobic smear attacks. Were it not for Mr. Jennings' courage and concern for my well-being at that time in my life, I doubt I'd be the proud gay man that I am today.

- Brewster

Jennings' attorney stated in 2004 letter that student was 16, which is -- and was -- MA age of consent

But feel free to keep making something out of a situation that is long long solved.

This IS what they do, you know.

- Brewster

None of that changes the facts.

That's how they justify the behavior of their own Lonestar logic....simple really..one set of rules for the ones who are not liberals and another set of rules for those who are.....in police circles or military circles when attacked they "circle the wagons"...same thing here. You can bet if Jennings was a Republican they would be SCREAMING to high heaven and calling for the impeachment of Bush even though he hasn't been President for almost a year.

Good point.

Forum List

Back