Mass. 2nd grader sent home for crucifix drawing

Like most other news stories, we are only hearing one side. My gut reaction is that the teacher over-reacted or perhaps her "diversity training" didn't prepare her for a pic of Christ on a cross. But I follow a lot of teacher news and unfortunately there is usually a gag order. She may have a completely different tale. We are forbidden to talk about ANYTHING to the press and have also been warned about anonynous message boards.

I didn't read that. That's a different story. Maybe the teacher had seen other warning signs as well.

Not blaming you chanel, but it AMAZES ME how all these people just jump right in and say it's "Christian Bashing" and that "Damn Liberal Teacher" et al,,, when it was something by LAW the teacher had to turn in because it COULD BE a sign of abuse.

So with a possible sign of abuse you send the kid home? That would be an interesting protocol.

It's a 7 year old .....they have active imaginations.

I'd chalk this one up to over reaction by the teacher......

But can you be 100% sure of that Zander?

Have YOU ever had a child tell you her brother not only touched her in her "private parts" but her younger sister and her baby sister too? Or a little 8 year old girl tell you her "poopy place" is bleeding from 'step dad' last night?

Never assume anything. Adults can be evil sick bastards.
I can't be sure. But a drawing of a crucifix doesn't mean the child is bleeding from his ass. To me it seems like an over reaction- at least from the article.
The boy was cleared to return to school on Dec. 7 after the evaluation found nothing to indicate that he posed a threat to himself or others. But his father said the boy was traumatized by the incident and the school district has approved the family's request to have the child transferred to another school.

"They owe my family an apology and the kid an apology and they need to work with my son (to) the best of their ability to get him back to where he was before all this happened," Johnson told New England Cable News.

The father said in the days before the incident the family had gone to the National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette in Attleboro, where there are crucifixion statues.

"That was fresh on his mind," he told NECN. "And that was a good thing that he saw."

If there is additional information that suggests abuse, that would be different. There is nothing in the article that indicates abuse and the evaluation reached the same conclusion.

Last edited:
It's a 7 year old .....they have active imaginations.

I'd chalk this one up to over reaction by the teacher......

But can you be 100% sure of that Zander?

Have YOU ever had a child tell you her brother not only touched her in her "private parts" but her younger sister and her baby sister too? Or a little 8 year old girl tell you her "poopy place" is bleeding from 'step dad' last night?

Never assume anything. Adults can be evil sick bastards.
Now that you mention it, the father sounds like a world class asshole at the very least. Why would any parent inform the media that their child was potentially unstable?

Yeah, that's it, blame the parent....

The local elementary school turned in every one of my friends to CPS for "abuse". One because he messed his pants in 2nd grade. He was SICK, but the psychologist decided he was "abused". That same psychologist tried for an hour and a half to get my son to admit that we abused him and then sent him back to class all upset and when he threw a fit, they suspended him and blamed me instead of the idiot psychologist that got him all upset and sent him back to class in the first place.

Thank God that psychologist is no longer working for the school district...I expect he'll be putting in some penance for the harm he's caused to children in his misguided attempt at "helping" them.

You're darn right the law needs to be changed. We have to start getting the parents that are actually abusing their kids instead of harassing the rest of us.

I didn't read that. That's a different story. Maybe the teacher had seen other warning signs as well.

Not blaming you chanel, but it AMAZES ME how all these people just jump right in and say it's "Christian Bashing" and that "Damn Liberal Teacher" et al,,, when it was something by LAW the teacher had to turn in because it COULD BE a sign of abuse.

So with a possible sign of abuse you send the kid home? That would be an interesting protocol.

Yeah, good point.....teachers can be so stupid....common sense really ought to be a requirement for that position.

Yeah, that's it, blame the parent....

The local elementary school turned in every one of my friends to CPS for "abuse". One because he messed his pants in 2nd grade. He was SICK, but the psychologist decided he was "abused".
I can top that one. Kid with really bad acne had concerned teachers decide the acne scars were actually cigarette burn marks and ......
You can probably guess the rest.

I love it when people put words in other people's mouths.

BY LAW A TEACHER HAS TO TURN IN A SUSPECTED SIGN OF ABUSE. You do understand that, right? Now, from there the social worker takes over, and then she/he decides if CPS needs to be called in to further investigate.

The teacher can't just send the child home because he drew a picture.

Johnson said the teacher became upset when his son said he drew himself on the cross. Johnson, who is black, told WBZ he suspects racism is involved. He said he thinks the school overreacted and wants an apology.

wonder if that had something to do with it??????????

sheesh, this is just crazy!

Did the teacher think when the kid SAID it was himself on the cross, that this kid's pappy was teaching him that blacks are persecuted by being burned on the cross by the KKK?

is this where the pop's accusation of racism comes in to play???

Have to love how the right-wing crazies immediately started screaming "religion-bashing" though, don't you?

And they say our public schools don't have it out for Christians......

they don't. christians just have an insane victim mentality

Where would they ever get that idea from blu? It is so rare that anyone demeands them.:eusa_angel:

You're soo right! Because Christians never pass judgement on or demean anyone.

Right?

I mean I can't think of even one historical example where Christians may have discriminated against non-Christians.

:lol::lol::lol:

Just saying.

Seriously though, if the teacher had sent the child home and the kid had not said the person on the cross was himself, that would have indeed been an issue. But that was not the case.

Last edited:
I guess the other way to look at this is, what would be the reaction if this child had been harmed at home or caused harm to himself or others? By law, teachers are required to report potential or actual child abuse. They don't make a judgement call as to whether they should report or not. They are just supposed to report it.

Another thing that I was wondering about is, how can a school make this public knowledge? Don't they have to protect the identity of a minor? Most likely it was the parent who made it public. It seems that could casue some harm to a child in and of itself. Perhaps this parent does have a problem.

Expel the kid and piss off the parent. Brilliant!

If they thought it was a sign of abuse, they would have taken the kid to the office and done the mandatory reporter thing. Which means you call child welfare. The kid doesn't go home.

They fucked up somewhere. If it was reported because it was a sign of abuse, CW would be involved. They screwed up if it was abuse. You don't call the parent and refer the child for a psych eval. You REPORT IT TO THE AUTHORITIES.

This is a universal thing with schools in the US. They think that they are the ultimate authorities. They aren't, the fucking nimrods.

Yeah, good point.....teachers can be so stupid....common sense really ought to be a requirement for that position.

So you are saying the teacher sent the child home?

Have to love how the right-wing crazies immediately started screaming "religion-bashing" though, don't you?

The father cried possible racism...notice that too?

BTW, everyone seems to forget these days that the cross is an instrument of TORTURE. How many of you want teachers blowing off that kind of stuff being drawn in class?

Forum List

Back