Man in Santa Suit Kills 8

Actually, it's pronounced hari-kari.

It's a version of seppoku, which is part of Bushido. Ritualistic suicide to save face.

I couldn't think of the spelling of seppoku, so I was winging it. :eusa_angel:

Thanks.

However, as you confirmed, it's part of Japanese culture.

The point I am making is that even in a country where guns are outlawed, except to those using them for their job or sport.....people are murdered with them.

Banning them, especially in a country where there are already of millions of guns will do nothing to the law abiding citizen except to take them away from them and leave only the criminals with them.

Of course they are being murdered with them but thankfully, rarely, so I don't think the UK gun laws helps support your argument very well especially as there is an estimated 4 million illegal guns in the UK.

Post a link to a shitload of stats and studies that demonstrate rates of suicide directly connected to the availability of guns.

Because I recently posted a shitload of stats and studies that proved the exact opposite.

You just post shit.

America leads the developed world in gun deaths per capita. America is awash with guns.

The point I am making is that even in a country where guns are outlawed, except to those using them for their job or sport.....people are murdered with them.

Banning them, especially in a country where there are already of millions of guns will do nothing to the law abiding citizen except to take them away from them and leave only the criminals with them.

1.4 million guns were stolen in this country over a 15 year period. It is the gun owners that are providing criminals with guns. It's a public service.

You just post shit.

America leads the developed world in gun deaths per capita. America is awash with guns.

Read it again.
We don't lead the world in suicides, which is the point I'm making. THe number of suicides has nothing to do with guns, except that suicides will use them if they're available. So if they're available, they're more likely to off themselves with them.

But if they aren't available, the rate of suicide doesn't go down.

And if they aren't available, the rate of gun violence increases instead of decreasing, EXCEPT in cases of DV. But once again, there is no marked reduction in the severity or occurence of DV just because guns aren't available.

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons

Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):

Homicide Suicide Other (inc Accident)

USA (2001) ........... 3.98 .... 5.92 .... 0.36
Italy (1997) ......... 0.81 .... 1.1 ..... 0.07
Switzerland (1998) ... 0.50 .... 5.8 .... 0.10
Canada (2002) ........ 0.4 ....... 2.0 .... 0.04
Finland (2003) ......... 0.35 ..... 4.45 ... 0.10
Australia (2001) ...... 0.24 .... 1.34 ... 0.10
France (2001) ......... 0.21 ...... 3.4 .... 0.49
England/Wales (2002) 0.15 ...... 0.2 .... 0.03
Scotland (2002) ...... 0.06 ...... 0.2 .... 0.02
Japan (2002) .......... 0.02 ...... 0.04 ... 0
Gun Facts

Simply put .. the more guns, the more dead people.

It's just that simple.

But for those who cherish and love and need them to feel safe .. so be it.

Wait Switzerland every male over the age of 18 is in the military and is ISSUED an "assault rifle" I suspect they have more per capita guns then we do.

Read it again.
We don't lead the world in suicides, which is the point I'm making. THe number of suicides has nothing to do with guns, except that suicides will use them if they're available. So if they're available, they're more likely to off themselves with them.

But if they aren't available, the rate of suicide doesn't go down.

And if they aren't available, the rate of gun violence increases instead of decreasing, EXCEPT in cases of DV. But once again, there is no marked reduction in the severity or occurence of DV just because guns aren't available.

The number of guns does have SOMETHING to do with suicides, but not EVERYTHING.

People who try to commit suicide with guns succeed much more often.

Guns make it easy to kill yourself and others.

The stat in the UK for 2007 was that there are 28 crimes committed with guns every day. There is 1 murder every week with a gun.

Are there more with knives? Of course there are..but this is a stat from a country that has had very strict guns laws for hundreds of years and for the last 10 years they have been even stricter.

Not hundreds of years. Gun control in the UK only kicked in in the early part of the 20th Century.

Post a link to a buttload of stats and studies that demonstrate rates of suicide directly connected to the availability of guns.

Because I recently posted a buttload of stats and studies that proved the exact opposite.

Here's what they try to sell you.

Canadian Bill C-17 was implemented in 1991 to restrict the use of firearms, providing a chance to investigate the effect of firearm control laws in the use of firearms for suicide and homicide. Following Lester and Leenaars' comprehensive studies, the present study examined the use of firearms for suicide and homicide during the period prior to the bill and during the period after the passing of Bill C-17 to assess the association of the bill with rates of suicide and homicide by method. Analysis showed a significant decrease after passage of Bill C-17 in the rates of suicides and homicides involving firearms and the percentage of suicides using firearms. The analysis provides support for the position that restricting the availability of firearms as a lethal means of committing suicide and homicide may help reduce the numbers of suicides and homicides. LINK

And what they WON'T tell you.

This study presents the changes in the overall and firearm suicide rates for Québec (Canada) before and after Bill C-17, which was implemented to secure safe storage of firearms. It covers 20,009 suicide cases reported to the coroner's office. Interrupted time series analysis is used to compare suicide rates in the two periods. Firearm suicide rates have dropped among males and females, but the downward trends were not significant when compared to those prior to the law. Hanging suicide rates have risen considerably among men and women, but those upward trends did not increase significantly when compared with those preceding the law. The decline in suicide rates involving firearms has not resulted in a parallel decline in overall suicide rates. The analyses suggest that Bill C-17 neither improved the downward trend in firearm suicide, which had already begun before the enactment of the law, nor reduced the upward trend of the overall suicide rate. Correlation analyses between firearm suicide, hanging suicide, and the overall suicide rate suggest that firearm suicide is replaced by hanging suicide among males. LINK

I know, I read all that stuff. The way the language is arranged so that despite the fact that they're saying that when there are more firearms available there are more firearm fatalities, but leave out or just barely allude to the fact that the overall RATE of murder and homicide isn't affected one iota.

So although they say "firearm related suicides decreased by .000005 percent after stricter gun control laws were enforced" they skim over the fact that suicides themselves did not decrease.

Or they'll say "fewer instances of children being killed by firearms accidentally discharging after stricture gun storage and control laws were put into effect..." but leave off the fact that the rate of murder during commission of crime has doubled.

Last edited:
Such events may become even more commonplace in a depression in one of the most violent places on earth, the United States.

If only the 8 year-old kids had guns they could have defended themselves .. everyone knows the answer to astronomical gun deaths is more guns .. and more guns .. and more guns.

Yeah, DUmmie, and that DUmbass in CANADA didn't pull out his great big old knife and hack off the sleepy guy's head and proceed to prance around with it and have a little lunch in full view of the Royal Mounted Canadian Pansy Police. did he??? Yeah, it'a all America's fault.

You're a foul little person, aren't you? You think it's funny that 8 people were killed by a Santa, or that women are subjugated, beaten and murdered in Saudi Arabia with no recourse through the law?

Both are such hilarious things.

This is the perfect example of how isolated incidents can be blown so far out of proportion ... funny really.

It's our mob mentality as humans, we seize on one example of an event and then generalise from it. However, that doesn't mean that there's been some pertinent points made in this thread from what might be considered "both" sides of the argument. I think there are more than two sides to the central issue but that overcomplicates it.

I think the point made by ABikerSailor that (and I hope this is not a mis-interpretation) gun control is about harm minimisation in the lawful ownership, possession and use of fireams is very salient.

This bloke was not a "criminal" until he began to murder. I mean he wasn't a crook who habitually carried and used firearms as part of his criminal activity.

But it also makes intuitive sense that the more firearms that are present in a location (eg a nation) then the more firearms-related events there will be. That though is for the locals to decide on, but it seems a bit silly to try and argue that there won't be more such events. The questions is along the lines of what sort of restrictions on actual firearms you're prepared to put up with as against the incidence of events and if you support restrictions on ownership so as to try to reduce the incidence of these events.

Forum List

Back