Man Found Dead on Hospital Lounge Couch

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by UsaPride, Jul 25, 2004.

1. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    This is horrible!

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news...LS&idq=/ff/story/0001/20040724/1209895702.htm
    There was a lady from my grandparents church that went to the hospital for chest pains. She sat in the waiting room for hours and she died sitting right there waiting to be seen. So sad!

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I worked that the ER here in Austin and saw it happen. So many people use the ER for incredibly minor problems that the place got packed. Many would come at night because the day shift was more likely to send them to a clinic where they would have to wait even longer. Most have no insurance and therefore wait in the welfare line for treatment. A deadly combination of poverty and ignorance.

3. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    My husband pulled shifts in the ER too when he was an EMT. Maybe it's just our hospital, but I wouldn't want to go to the ER if my leg was ripped off. He seen doctors and nurses that were too busy hanging out in the back than to help people in the front. Now, I'm talking about our ER not anyone elses, and I'm only talking about what he seen first hand. It was disgusting. As a matter of fact, my cousin is now in the process of being tested for AIDS every 3 months for the next year from an incident last month where he went to the ER with chest pains and they had him sitting on a bed that was covered with shit. They didn't notice it until it started seeping through his jeans.
    Sorry, bad expeirences with the ER, lol.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Boy howdy-----the series ER can't even touch what I saw happen there--some funny as hell--some tragic.

5. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I smell blood in the water for trial lawyers with a seven figure lawsuit in the making.

I don't see any claim of whether he was uninsured or poor, but in this case it would only help the suit and increase the hospitals liability in failing to treat all emergency cases.

Maybe a nationalized health care would have prevented this, given multi-million dollar suits are not motivating hospital workers like a government agency could. Then again, this kind of thing happens all around the world, and in a place like Canada, for example, who are they going to sue?

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Interesting you brought up the Canadian system, Comrade. Did you see this:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=130830#post130830

7. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yeah, I finally had to put my foot down and tell him to stop telling me how his day went, LOL!

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Ya--good news for the John Edwards types huh? Why waste time chasing an ambulance when you can just hang out at the destination. A lot of facts yet to be determined on this one. Some people will sleep anyplace they can find and many homeless die in the streets only to be found later.

9. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I didn't before but I figured there was a reason why Canadians would pay to be treated in the US while their own care was supposed to be free and responsive. You get what you pay for!

10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I think it depends on the hospital. My wife had a heart attack last year, at the ripe age of 31, and I took her to the ER at our local hospital. She was in such pain that she couldn't stnad, let alone talk to anyone. The nurses dismissed her pains as a "panic attack" and made us wait for about 20-30 minutes before seeing us. Needless to say, that worsened things. The heart attack itself was brought on by a spasm of the heart muscle (my wife is quite thin) but because we had to wait for so long, she ended up having pericarditis (swelling of the membrane surrounding the heart) along with other swelling around the heart. It took her six months to recover from conditions that she should not have had to suffer - but for one nurse's premature on-the-spot diagnosis.
    So now we avoid that hospital (Good Samaritan hospital) and go to Tacoma General if we have to.