Man Facing Felony For Reading His Wife's E-Mail

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. — A Rochester Hills man who says he learned of his wife's affair by reading her e-mail on their computer faces trial Feb. 7 on felony computer misuse charges.

Thirty-three-year-old Leon Walker used his wife's password to get into her Gmail account. Clara Walker filed for a divorce, which was granted this month.

Leon Walker tells The Oakland Press of Pontiac he was trying to protect the couple's children from neglect and calls the case a "miscarriage of justice."

Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Sydney Turner says the charge is justified.

Privacy law writer Frederick Lane tells the Detroit Free Press the law typically is used to prosecute identity theft and stealing trade secrets. He says he questions if a wife can expect privacy on a computer she shares with her husband.

Mich. man faces charges for reading wife's e-mail - chicagotribune.com

Interesting. I wish we knew what law was involved, but sounds as if there is no "family exception".

Whacca think?

• Banned
Sounds like it was during a legal seperation for divorce?

Doesn't say, uscitizen, though they are divorcing now. Do you think he committed a crime by breaking into her email?

I have two minds....doesn't seem as if it'd be criminal for him to open her snail mail (though maybe it is, I honestly don't know) and so why criminalize his opening her e-mail?

On the other hand, how many people apart from you should have the legal right to snoop on you? Why should anyone be reading your e-mail without your permission?

Either way, I feel badly for him. I don't doubt he believed his conduct was legal at the time. Seems as if people should have more warning of new crimes, no?

They actually got a divorce this month, it does not say when the email incident happened.

Not enough info to decide.
It it happened during a legal seperation I understand the charges.

Last edited:
He broke into an account he was not authorized for.

Why is not an issue.

I believe the standard here is the same as for US postal mail.

You're always going to get caught when you have an affair, why ANYONE thinks they'll be the exception of getting away with it is beyond me.

If he is prosecuted for this, then it will set a precedent that I'm sure most people who use the net won't want to see........................

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. — A Rochester Hills man who says he learned of his wife's affair by reading her e-mail on their computer faces trial Feb. 7 on felony computer misuse charges.

Thirty-three-year-old Leon Walker used his wife's password to get into her Gmail account. Clara Walker filed for a divorce, which was granted this month.

Leon Walker tells The Oakland Press of Pontiac he was trying to protect the couple's children from neglect and calls the case a "miscarriage of justice."

Privacy law writer Frederick Lane tells the Detroit Free Press the law typically is used to prosecute identity theft and stealing trade secrets. He says he questions if a wife can expect privacy on a computer she shares with her husband.

Interesting. I wish we knew what law was involved, but sounds as if there is no "family exception".

Whacca think?

"Felony computer misuse charges"????

I call bull shit.

Whacca think?

All he needs to do is change his name and he's home free. Here is a thought.... Julian Assange. :lol:

Whacca think?

"Felony computer misuse charges"????

I call bull shit.

Total Bullshit. ;)

Sounds like it was during a legal seperation for divorce?

sounds like their marriage wasn't so good in the first place and he was snooping to get info to use for their divorce/custody battle (note that his claim is he was 'trying to protect the children from neglect').

she had to really hate his guts to call the cops on him.

but why would their be an exception. whether your spouse is allowed to read your email or not seems to be pretty much between the couple.

i doubt he'll be convicted of a felony, though. it will be worked out as part of their divorce.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back