No Jury Will Convict?

Depends on where you are. Down here, we'll convict you for half a joint, and send you to the big house to think it over for 2-3 years.

State issue, IMO.

Depends on where you are. Down here, we'll convict you for half a joint, and send you to the big house to think it over for 2-3 years.

State issue, IMO.

Where are you, Mini?

Alabama. Georgia and Florida are more lenient, but AL, MS, LA, TN, Ark, SC, they're similar to us in their views on pot. Bible belt and all, I suppose.

I have always thought it should be a State issue, regulated by ATF or a similar agency on a Federal level with State Law taking precedence as they do with firearms and alcohol.

You know.....thinking through what I just posted, I think I made your argument for you, didn't I? :)

I suppose you're right then, on a Federal level, it should be decriminalized and regulated, then left to each State to decide what the law is.

Still not fully awake......and haven't achieved my minimum required daily allowance of coffee :)

• Banned

State issue, IMO.

Where are you, Mini?

Alabama. Georgia and Florida are more lenient, but AL, MS, LA, TN, Ark, SC, they're similar to us in their views on pot. Bible belt and all, I suppose.

I have always thought it should be a State issue, regulated by ATF or a similar agency on a Federal level with State Law taking precedence as they do with firearms and alcohol.

I'd like to see marijuana decriminalized, and the DEA dismantled.

Where are you, Mini?

I personally would love to see the Death Penalty for anyone that sells drugs to kids or on school property.

• Banned

I personally would love to see the Death Penalty for anyone that sells drugs to kids or on school property.

I said "decriminalized", RGS, not "deregulated". It's a crime to feed alcohol to a minor....should also be one to feed them drugs, I agree.

I think it should be decriminalized with all laws that apply to alcohol use, applied to marijuana use. If there are tests to determine whether one is driving under the influence of pot, then all laws applying to alcohol use should be applied to driving under the influence of cannabis. Pot is a mind-altering substance.

I think it should be decriminalized with all laws that apply to alcohol use, applied to marijuana use. If there are tests to determine whether one is driving under the influence of pot, then all laws applying to alcohol use should be applied to driving under the influence of cannabis. Pot is a mind-altering substance.

Ayup.

One would think that the very best TEST to determine if one's driving is imparied can be found in REALITY.

How many marijuana related accidents are there every year?

According to a study done in France about 2.5% of all fatal accidents involved drivers who tested positive for THC.

Of course that begs the question :What about the 97.5% of all fatal accidents where marijuana was NOT involved?

29% involved alcohol.

Now that leaves us with about 68% of all fatal accidents happening to SOBER people.

What does that mean?

That means that you are about 25 times more likely to be killed by a SOBER driver than somebody high on pot.

And you're a tad over TWICE as likely to be killed by a SOBER driver as somebody high on alcohol.

What about companies that give kids drugs so parents don't have to do their job and the population can be more easily controlled?

One would think that the very best TEST to determine if one's driving is imparied can be found in REALITY.

According to a study done in France about 2.5% of all fatal accidents involved drivers who tested positive for THC.

Of course that begs the question :What about the 97.5% of all fatal accidents where marijuana was NOT involved?

29% involved alcohol.

Now that leaves us with about 68% of all fatal accidents happening to SOBER people.

What does that mean?

That means that you are about 25 times more likely to be killed by a SOBER driver than somebody high on pot.

And you're a tad over TWICE as likely to be killed by a SOBER driver as somebody high on alcohol.

Still, t'aint unreasonable to ask that stoned people do not drive, editec.

Ok what about your employer testing you for drugs? MJ stays in your system up to 30 days and shows up on testing.

Decriminalization of MJ is necassary in the fight against drugs as a whole. Remove the cash cow of MJ from the drug cartels and tax it like cigs and use that money against the more dangerous drug traffic. Take the cartels out of he MJ trade.

The prisons in the US are overflowing and most of this is due to drug convictions. Legalization of MJ would aleviate this to some degree. Not sure about other drugs though. Should we legislate what a person can do to themselves if they do it in the privacy of their home? Personally I think we legislate too much control over peoples lives, as long as what they do does not harm other people let them do it!

Ok what about your employer testing you for drugs? MJ stays in your system up to 30 days and shows up on testing.

Decriminalization of MJ is necassary in the fight against drugs as a whole. Remove the cash cow of MJ from the drug cartels and tax it like cigs and use that money against the more dangerous drug traffic. Take the cartels out of he MJ trade.

The prisons in the US are overflowing and most of this is due to drug convictions. Legalization of MJ would aleviate this to some degree. Not sure about other drugs though. Should we legislate what a person can do to themselves if they do it in the privacy of their home? Personally I think we legislate too much control over peoples lives, as long as what they do does not harm other people let them do it!

You have a point, zzzz. If pot were made legal, much would have to change. We don't drug test for tobacco or alcohol, though I'm sure the technology exists.

29% involved alcohol.

What does that mean?

Still, t'aint unreasonable to ask that stoned people do not drive, editec.

Agreed.

So the question really is:

What level of THC in the bloodstream ought we mark as being driving impaired?

I think that, as yet, we do not have a good answer to that important question.

Most studies find no effect of marijuana on psychomotor functions after four hours. This suggests that a waiting period of about three hours after smoking a medium to strong social dose (15-20 mg) will be sufficient to reduce a driver’s impairment to that comparable to a blood alcohol content of less than 0.03%.

– A blood alcohol content of 0.08% corresponds approximately to a THC concentration in serum of 9-10 ng/mL. (nanograms per milliliter – a nanogram is one-billionth of a gram)

– Persons who consumed marijuana within the last hour are likely impaired and will typically produce a blood serum THC concentration of greater than 20 ng/mL

– Persons who consumed marijuana 48 hours earlier or who were exposed to second hand smoke will likely show a THC/blood serum level of 0-2 ng/mL.You Are Going Directly To Jail - NORML

– Variable measurements of THC in identical blood samples among various forensic laboratories suggest that a safety margin of standard deviation should be included in testing standards. Researchers suggest a standard deviation of 3-4 ng/mL for blood serum testing when finding a concentration of 10 ng/mL or higher.

– Effects-based laws are the most reliable means of determining whether a driver is impaired. Effects-based laws require states to prove that a driver was “under the influence” of marijuana in light of the totality of facts in the case: driver’s conduct, testimony of witnesses, field sobriety tests, as well as any blood or urine tests. Such laws allow for cases where a regular marijuana user may produce a high blood level of THC but is not necessarily impaired.

– Marijuana consumed together with alcohol produces a greater level of impairment. Even low doses of alcohol together with THC can produce significant impairment.

source

One of the things we ought to bear in mind is that marijuana's euphoric effects are NOT SIMILAR to alcohol's INTOXICATING EFFECTS.

One does not "get drunk" on marijuania.

One does, however, get slighhtly euphoric on it.

As marijuana is not an intoxicant (as it has no toxic dose) we need to FIND different words to descrivbe its effects and we ALSO need to understand how being "high" effects drivers.

So I agree with you that WE NEED to regulate marijunia use and driving.

The question is how do we decide that somebody is unsafe to drive having used it?

Urine tests are essantially WORTHLESS since they do not measure impairment.

We need A GOOD SYSTEM to determine what is safe and what is not, just we currently DO HAVE for alcohol.

MJ shows up for 30 days in chronic users only. Officers can be trained to detect drug use by a driver using field sobriety tests, when enhanced by a 36 hour course (in CA: 11550 H&S). The officers testimony along with a standard urine test would in most cases be prima facia evidence needed for conviction.
Suggesting there is no way to determine MJ use by drivers is a canard, used by those who opposed prob 19 in California this year.
MJ should, IMHO, be removed from schedule I. See:
DEA Briefs & Background, Drugs and Drug Abuse, Drug Descriptions, Marijuana

Forum List

Back